Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at a much less expensive option. I have some decals that are peeling, I see I can replace the worst ones for about $250 and help the look a lot. Next question, has anyone clear coated the decals and gelcoat after a through cleaning/deoxidation?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Looking at a much less expensive option. I have some decals that are peeling, I see I can replace the worst ones for about $250 and help the look a lot. Next question, has anyone clear coated the decals and gelcoat after a through cleaning/deoxidation?
See #9 this thread. Also The clear coat on the vynal decals seems to be fine. I did a small area of White Gel Coat with a two part Urethane clear coat jut to test. Then a did real good compounding and polishing of an area adjacent and the polished out area is just about a good at the clear coat. So when I priced the clear coat to do the rest of the sides with two coats of clear it was going to take close to 3 gallons at $200 per gallon so I got busy and polished the gel coat. Made an old 2000 model look good.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
See #9 this thread. Also The clear coat on the vynal decals seems to be fine. I did a small area of White Gel Coat with a two part Urethane clear coat jut to test. Then a did real good compounding and polishing of an area adjacent and the polished out area is just about a good at the clear coat. So when I priced the clear coat to do the rest of the sides with two coats of clear it was going to take close to 3 gallons at $200 per gallon so I got busy and polished the gel coat. Made an old 2000 model look good.
So it appears that no one has actually fully clear coated an RV that has a mix of paint, gelcoat and decals. How did you prep your gel coat test area? The texture of a normal base coat is very dull, and the shine comes from the clearcoat. So I am thinking, instead of compounding it to remove the oxidation and bring out a shine, just go over it with a 400 grit sandpaper on a DA to remove the oxidation and small imperfections and use that as a toothy base for the clear coat. Only problem there is working around the good decals. A little research finds clear coating over gelcoat is common treatment on boats. Reason for clear coating is to get a finish that will not oxidize nearly as rapidly as gelcoat.

And I am thinking that I could do it in my driveway using a baker's scaffold on wheels and my Graco X5 airless sprayer that will put out a 12" fan. Obviously I need to talk to my local automotive paint dealer on a lot of issues. Hey if folks are using floor wax on the exterior (which I did on the roof), this ought be a step up and a lot more permanent. But way cheaper than hiring out a full $12,000 paint job.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #18

Be careful with what materials you use. Talk with a paint supplier before doing anything like this. I tried to clear coat some polished Aluminum wheels about 15 years ago and they looked good for about a year before they peeled.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #19

Back on Memorial weekend in Temecula CA I saw a Winnebago gasser about 34' or so that was done in a very attractive sand/tan colored bed-liner material. Roof and all. This rig was sealed top to bottom, seamless. I didn't ask price or what material he used. It was not like the LineX or Rhino stuff as it had a smooth pebble texture. The guy did say he did it himself and he used a roller. From the looks of the product I'd say it was probably Monstaliner by Magnet paints. It's the only stuff I've seen in this texture and color. I wish I took a picture. It looked really nice and I'd say that stuff will hold up pretty darn well.

It was sort of like this:

This is a closeup of the texture.

Nice and smooth. The Winnebago did have graphics over the bed liner.

This truck cost $350 to bed line the whole deal.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #20

The prep work would be huge but it is with any paint job. With bed liner you have a couple things to consider.

On the plus side:
a. Very durable
b. It is a very DIY project.
c. It is permanent.

On the bad side:
a. Probably adds 40-60 lbs over paint!
b. It is permanent

Cost wise I think the material costs about $110.00-$120.00 a mixed gallon and a 4 dimensional billboard like a 33' Motor home would probably take 15-20 gallons.

But it is a thought.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used U-Pol Raptor bed liner in my Jeep, good stuff, hard pebbly finish, sprayed with a undercoat gun. Not what I am looking for on my MH. Keeping the original look. Winnebago has most of the original decals for those that don't have a good tight edge. I just want to get everything looking good and nail it in place with a good two part clear coat. You can see I do have some DIY level painting skills.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 AM   #22

Saw a nice repaint job in Iowa, guy had it done at race car place in Vero Beach $20 k. But the interesting part was the bedliner material on the lower front and the curve around to the front wheels. No polish, no stone damage, and used a stiff brush to keep it clean. Looked good.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:55 AM   #23

Here is a thread in Vintage on the subject
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/paint...rv-328285.html

I would like to take a trip down south to Mexico and have it done for a third what it would cost here.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:03 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you painted that jeep, it looks nice. As noted, the prep work for the motorhome will be a lot. Plus painting it outside will create opportunities for contamination. I would definitely invest in a good quality spray gun if you plan to do it.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I have used U-Pol Raptor bed liner in my Jeep, good stuff, hard pebbly finish, sprayed with a undercoat gun. Not what I am looking for on my MH. Keeping the original look. Winnebago has most of the original decals for those that don't have a good tight edge. I just want to get everything looking good and nail it in place with a good two part clear coat. You can see I do have some DIY level painting skills.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Nice CJ. I bought my first CJ5 40 years ago today! I sold it 20 years ago, but It's still a daily driver. I have a 2006 LJ Rubicon now.
Good job.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #26

I don't know where your travels take you but I had the front and rear caps on my 03 dynasty repainted for $2,500. My buddy from wis liked it so much he brought his 40' from phoenix and had full body paint job under 6,000. Both look great. I spend winters near Harlingen tx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mh paint.png
Views:	75
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	158722   Click image for larger version

Name:	mhdone.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	158723  

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags