Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #1

Costco Diesel

It looks like Costco is adding diesel to some of their gasoline stations. They have a list on their website. I have found that they are up to $1.00 per gallon cheaper than nearby stations. Unfortunately they don't sell def but the fuel cost is nice. In addition I get an additional $0.03 rebate per gallon from Amex off the pump price! The drawbacks are the lines are long and with my toad it can be a little tight. All said it is worth it to me to save the cost on a fill up plus I fill my toad at the same time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That is awesome news!

RVNewbie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like competition. Sheetz starting adding it about a year ago. Competition is GOOD!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #4

sounds good, but how much is the bio content in it?

i used to fill their gas in my car. at certain point, i did repeat tests with their fuel and stopped using it.

the reason?

theirs is a high content of bio blend, resulting in about 8-10% mileage suffering comparing with some of on-street fuels. in my calculation, giving rotten robbie gas as an example, my last fill was at $2.49/g vs costco $2.44/g at the time. at costco, the cost of the lost mileage is 2.44 x 8% = 0.20. add 0.20 + 2.44 = 2.64. now you see the actual fuel price in costco is about $2.64 vs $2.49 at rotten robbie if you want to drive the same distance. of course, my numbers are not in the accuracy of 3 decimals but close enough to give you an idea.

nowadays, before i fill any fuel, i check the label on the pump. i prefer non-bio fuels.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
nowadays, before i fill any fuel, i check the label on the pump. i prefer non-bio fuels.
Very sage advice, indeed! I filled up my diesel Jetta at a pump and noticed afterwards it was 20% bio. Luckily I was on a road trip and was able to use it up quickly and dilute it several times.

I formerly owned a MB Sprinter motorhome and Mercedes put out a special notice telling owners to use only stations that sold large amounts of diesel. Low volume dealer's diesel was implicated in fuel system issues.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
sounds good, but how much is the bio content in it?

i used to fill their gas in my car. at certain point, i did repeat tests with their fuel and stopped using it.

the reason?

theirs is a high content of bio blend, resulting in about 8-10% mileage suffering comparing with some of on-street fuels. in my calculation, giving rotten robbie gas as an example, my last fill was at $2.49/g vs costco $2.44/g at the time. at costco, the cost of the lost mileage is 2.44 x 8% = 0.20. add 0.20 + 2.44 = 2.64. now you see the actual fuel price in costco is about $2.64 vs $2.49 at rotten robbie if you want to drive the same distance. of course, my numbers are not in the accuracy of 3 decimals but close enough to give you an idea.

Annectdotal information at the most!! Here's a link to Costco's info page on their gasoline. Costco Top Tier Gas

I've used it exclusively for over 6 years in my V3800 Chev Impala and have never experienced what you claim to have experienced, and I keep close records of my mpgs.

In addition a certain percentage of ethanol may be required by state law.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
So how cheap is it? Diesel is selling for $2.08/gallon here at a lot of stations.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Costco Diesel

Local Kroger has diesel at $2.10, minus up to $1.00/gallon off using the Kroger card (after buying a total of $1,000 worth of groceries over two months-easy for us), puts it at 1.10 per gallon- under $100 to fill up 90 gallon tank. And I use the AMEX card and get 3% off - AMEX Blue Cash.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here in Calif. it is a nightmare to maneuver through the gas lines unless you can get there early to beat the crowds.

I also wonder if they will be like some other stations, and only add a couple of pumps rather than have every pump dispense both types of fuels.

I have found that Costco and Arco are pretty comparable in price, but no credit card points at ARCO.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's the current list. We have a Dodge/Cummins 3500 so it will be welcome:
Gasoline Diesel

Our RV is a 37' long gasser, and we have never been unable to get in/out of a CostCo....we just wait for the outside lane(s).

Thanks to the OP for pointing to this
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Ethanol does have a noticeably lower energy content than gas, but at normal 10% max levels in a modern engine, you shouldn't notice the difference, and at 20% levels, the difference may be noticeable, but one car and driver's example isn't much better than anecdotal. I'm sure you didn't subject your testing to rigorous guidelines on a closed course in controlled conditions.

It would appear that 20% max biodiesel has a very good energy content when compared to the same volume of straight diesel fuel oil. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fue...ison_chart.pdf

Certainly better than ethanol blend gasoline. The gotcha is how much biodiesel volume can your particular vehicle handle? My manual has a max for biodiesel blend, 5%, without factory or dealer engine mods.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Costco in Alpharetta, GA has diesel at $1.739. Closest Kroger is at $1.769. Next cheapest nearby is $2.199.

They added 4 more lanes when they added diesel and the lines went way down at all times.

I get there before or after the warehouse is open and have no issues getting in or out.

They typically match the cheapest SC prices around I-85.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #13

Ca requires bio almost everything so all fuels are similar regardless of store.

Costco is 3% back so on 2 buck fuel that is 6 cents a gallon back.

Try to use them 100% for gas and since the F250 is not used often it will be 100% Costco now.

Filled up earlier this week and zero wait and pump price 2.05 and lowest cost along freeway was 2.59 or so.

Add in card discount and we are good with it.

MPG on their gas in our 93 jeep was 19 to 22 MPG if I drove it right and it never got that before on various sources. Did I say that jeep has 440k vehicle and 300k plus motor miles...?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Costco is 3% back so on 2 buck fuel that is 6 cents a gallon back.
Only if you pay with the AMEX card. Some of us don't have those for various reasons, but I don't shop at Costco enough to justify it. Once there are many more Costco stations with diesel, it might be a good deal to get the AMEX card, but by then Costco will have swapped out to Visa for the AMEX card.

Tags
diesel