Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #1

Costco RV Purchasing Program

Does anybody have experience with the Costco RV purchasing program? I live in the Seattle area and their preferred dealer is the Camping World dealer in Burlington WA. They say that they can deal in any manufacturer other than Tiffin. (Don't know why not Tiffin)

If you did work with Costco were the discounts any greater than negotiating yourself?

Thank you for your experience.

Dirk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #2

Over the last 13 years, I have tried the Costco 'car' program three different times. All three times were not good experiences. Yes, it was the Dealer that failed. But, two out of three times I attempted to communicate with Costco that the service/execution was bad - they sure did not seem to care.

Hope the RV process goes better for those trying to use it.
Smitty

Old 07-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoy1324 View Post
Does anybody have experience with the Costco RV purchasing program? I live in the Seattle area and their preferred dealer is the Camping World dealer in Burlington WA. They say that they can deal in any manufacturer other than Tiffin. (Don't know why not Tiffin)

If you did work with Costco were the discounts any greater than negotiating yourself?

Thank you for your experience.

Dirk
How about Newmar? I know they refused to let CW handle any of their products. They're pretty selective as to who the deal with.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Over the last 13 years, I have tried the Costco 'car' program three different times. All three times were not good experiences. Yes, it was the Dealer that failed. But, two out of three times I attempted to communicate with Costco that the service/execution was bad - they sure did not seem to care.

Hope the RV process goes better for those trying to use it.
Smitty
We've never tried the car program as our credit union has their own. Even then we only got $300 off list on the '08 Civic and had to wait to even test drive one. They just weren't any available anywhere, in fact ours was imported from Canada and has their seals on it.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #5

Tiffin requires payment in full from their dealer before the coach leaves the factory. Nothing goes out on credit. I also expect Bob requires a dealer to be able to repair last minute items the customer finds in his/her pre-delivery inspection. Doubtful Costco could even operate some of the major systems on a big Bus, let alone do something like resetting the generator autostart, or explaning how 3 heat pumps and gas furnaces or Hydro-hot interface.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Tiffin requires payment in full from their dealer before the coach leaves the factory. Nothing goes out on credit. I also expect Bob requires a dealer to be able to repair last minute items the customer finds in his/her pre-delivery inspection. Doubtful Costco could even operate some of the major systems on a big Bus, let alone do something like resetting the generator autostart, or explaning how 3 heat pumps and gas furnaces or Hydro-hot interface.
Same with Newmar, that's why I was asking if Newmar was on the "plan"
Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
You do know that Costco is a referral program, not a dealer.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arveer View Post
You do know that Costco is a referral program, not a dealer.

And Costco gets a referral fee kickback on the purchase. That's why they don't want to hear about problems with their "Preferred Dealer".
Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
How about Newmar? I know they refused to let CW handle any of their products. They're pretty selective as to who the deal with.
I wonder how that is working out since CW bought out one of Newmar's better dealerships-Lee's RV in OK.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Although being a Costco member for years, I see no reason to use their referral service. Why let them be the "middle man?" Since they have to get their referral fee when going through the procedure they outline, it would seem inherent in the process that one is not going to get the absolute best price.

As has been discussed, I'm thinking it would be similar to their car-buying referral program. I tried that once years ago. The dealer I was working with flat out told me when I was a bit surprised by the "not so low price": "we're going to give you a discounted Costco program price and there's no negotiating." Although they were nice about it, they said the discounts were firm and implied that they could deal with me outside the Costco program. I suppose they couldn't tell me that directly but it was kind of a "wink of an eye" situation.

My thinking, then, is that the program is for those who want a hassle free experience and do not want to do any negotiating at all such as a grandmother who is a loyal Costco member and just "thinks" she is getting a very good deal on a new car without the hassle of negotiating by going with the Costco program.

Might it be the same way with the RV referral program? Probably so but I haven't used it nor know anybody who has. My opinion is, though, that you will be much better off doing the negotiating yourself outside the Costco program.