Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #15

Had both driver's seat and passenger seat re-built and recovered in Boulder City, NV two years ago. Cost was $750/seat. Seats were 20 years old and pretty worn out. Both were classic captains chairs with swing up arm rests and high backs. We went with a tough fabric that is commonly used in Over The Road semi-trucks. The seats are cool in the summer and warm in the winter, unlike the former ultra-leather. Twenty thousand miles later, there is no sign of wear.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just got a quote on ours here in Sacramento, $1300. OUCH. Going to shop around but it may be more prudent to just buy new chairs.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I just had mine recovered/reupholstered about a year ago.. they look awesome. I furnished the material (ultra leather) to match the sofa we recently purchased. Not counting material, I had both seats done at a local place in Cumming GA for $500. I removed the seats and re-installed them. BTW, the metal pedestal the seats are mounted on are super heavy, you might consider removing the 4 bolts that hold them on(I didn't but would next time). Used a moving dollly to move them around by myself.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just did mine last fall, just a bit over $1K. I took the old covers off had the old wore out upholstery sections replaced (used the old vinyl sections, backs, skirting) and I reinstalled the covers back on the foam and frames. Came out real good and good for another 75k miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone photo's 100.jpg
Views:	1043
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	90655   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone photo's 101.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	90656  

legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I have an upholstery shop here in No. CA and there is quite a bit of labor to recover RV seats. Including arm rests and skirting, I would charge around $500 each seat and I really don't make a killing at that price. More for leather or Ultra Leather.
stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jack I may need to talk to you soon to weigh the cost of new vs. recovering this crummy factory vinyl. It would be nice to work with someone that knows RV seats.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #21

jlabit
Our Flexsteel covers (that is what they call the fitted fabric) just kinda disintegrated. I suspected something was not right and called Flexsteel. Although out of warranty, they offered to send me new 'covers' free of charge as long as I promised to ship them some of the old defective (my word) covers. I asked how much the pilot and co-pilot chairs and the sofa bed and they told me, but I can't remember now (CRS) but the point being they would even take that amount off the cost of upgraded seats. I was interested in ultra leather, since that's what the salesman told us we had. We did not have ultra leather. Long story short, I thought the ultra leather was too expensive even after subtracting the price of the pleather or leatherette. And I did not think they would send me defective leatherette again. So, we went with free leatherette, same dark color. Flexsteel lady told me I could install the covers myself, but luckily I went to a local upholstery shop and had them taken the old off and install the new. They had steam machines to 'puff' up the padding to brand new shape. It cost $800 for the 2 chairs and 1 sofa. I am cheap, and that's a lot of money I should not have had to pay, but I am really glad I did not try DIY after seeing it done the way professionals do with several machines I do not have. Its been two years and the leatherette is still fine. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
I read the entire thread about the "Thor Issue". If they send me the same covers that are on my seats now, I think I'll pass on them. Any idea on whether they have improved the quality of material used since the problem era?
Supposedly, Thor received a "bad batch" of ultra-leather material around the 2009-2010 build dates. I have a 2011, and the seats seem to be holding up fine.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Why not just buy new chairs? Try this site. Nothing over $850. They also sell new bases. I am sure there are others as well.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am taking in my Fleetwood next week and getting the couch and two chairs recovered. The chairs are going to be about $300+ each and they are taking them out. Not sure on the couch yet as they will probably have to take it apart to get it out of the motorhome. The original ultra leather is horrible and this is on a 2009 Fleetwood.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Just dropped off my FlexSteel captains chairs at the local upholstery shop. $500 each using the best marine grade vinyl he had in his sample books. Same color and texture as the Ultra-Leather.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to dickc1 Send a message via Skype™ to dickc1
Repair Captains seat on 2002 Dutchstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich View Post
I have an upholstery shop here in No. CA and there is quite a bit of labor to recover RV seats. Including arm rests and skirting, I would charge around $500 each seat and I really don't make a killing at that price. More for leather or Ultra Leather.
We had mouse damage to our RV last winter and part of the damage was them eating a hole in the driver's seat. The seat is leather, I would only need the seat repaired. We live in Chico, CA. Where are you located? Can you do this kind of work?

Dick Cary
dickc1@yahoo.com
dickc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:12 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickc1 View Post
We had mouse damage to our RV last winter and part of the damage was them eating a hole in the driver's seat. The seat is leather, I would only need the seat repaired. We live in Chico, CA. Where are you located? Can you do this kind of work?

Dick Cary
dickc1@yahoo.com
Jack hasn't been here in a while but his shop is just east of Jackson on Hwy 88.
This is his shop:
https://recovery-shop.com
Old 01-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"jlabit"......Have you called Flexsteel to see if you can buy new covers from them. Maybe plead your case regarding the Thor issue and see if they'll help you out.

Flexsteel is no longer in the RV furniture business and no longer provides material or seat covers. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote