Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #15

Also keep in mind that this will vary from locations. I had a car towed 4 miles to my house here in Virginia and the charge was $475! I couldn't imagine what an RV cost would be.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceratto's Grotto View Post
In comparing emergency service I am wondering what (in general) the costs of towing in the case of a motor home break down are.
I guess in general it would be either not much or a bunch. I'm sorry but I thought the others answered your question. Maybe you need to rephrase your question? Do you want to know the minimum that's been charged and/or the maximum? Wouldn't that all depend on the circumstances? I guess if you needed to be towed around the block it wouldn't be much but if you had to be towed from Death Valley to the nearest repair facility it could be substantial.

Maybe I'm missing the whole point of your post. Like I said, seems to me it was asked and answered.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #17

I don't know what the actual cost was (or would have been), but when we broke down Good Sam towed us twice, first to a truck stop to spend the night, as the repair shop was closed, then to the repair shop in the morning.........never saw a bill. And the tow company and driver were great.
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #18

We have carried Coach Net for nine years. They are great. We have had several problems on the road and they were Johnny on the Spot with technical information that got us back rolling. Twice we had to be towed. Once we broke down in Wind River Canyon and had to be towed 176 miles to the closest repair facility in Jackson, WY. Signed the invoice with no charge to us. The second time our air conditioner clutch went out. I thought we could safely drive it to the repair facility, but they had us towed so that there was no more damage again with no cost to us. They have been GREAT!

We won't leave home without our Coach Net insurance.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am with Allstate motor club and have been a member for 20 years plus. I have the ''GOLD'' plan and they will tow my coach or any vehicle I am operating to the nearest authorized repair facility regardless the distance and they cover everything. We had a 'tranny'' go south on the Pace out in Denver, The operator asked as to our safety first. She then called a tow company and gave me their number so I could ''check in'' if they didnt show up. The tow bill was 550.00 for about a twenty mile tow. I know because I asked the tow truck driver. He did a very good job and was extra careful hooking and unhooking my coach. I gave him 20 dollar tip and thanked him for their prompt service. It is my understanding that they charge fifty bucks just to take your drive shaft lose before towing.
If you have a ''road service contract'' ALWAYS GET THE UNLIMITED PACKAGE. IT WILL COST A LITTLE MORE BUT IT IS WORTH IT ..
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets .... ALL GAVE SOME .......... SOME GAVE ALL ..........
Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I guess in general it would be either not much or a bunch. I'm sorry but I thought the others answered your question. Maybe you need to rephrase your question? Do you want to know the minimum that's been charged and/or the maximum? Wouldn't that all depend on the circumstances? I guess if you needed to be towed around the block it wouldn't be much but if you had to be towed from Death Valley to the nearest repair facility it could be substantial.

Maybe I'm missing the whole point of your post. Like I said, seems to me it was asked and answered.
No problem Jim, there were enough responses that related their experiences that I got enough of the right kind of information to make a discussion on something. I'm not sure I could have rephrased the question any simpler, I was just looking to hear others experiences as to how much it cost be towed regardless if insurance paid the cost or not (and as you mentioned, the circumstances related to the experience). I wasn't interested in which service was best, just the hard towing costs without insurance and such, (and circumstances). I think most everyone has some kind of towing insurance, so maybe that in itself may have confused people as to why in the world I would want to know the cost of towing when the insurance 'I have' paid for it. Thanks again, and also to everyone else for their responses....

Regards,

Wally

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two years ago I was towed approximately 70 miles and was told the cost would have been about $1400 if I would have had to pay it.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2 summers ago, I was towed about 50-60 miles I would guess. We had a 30 foot class A, and the guy crawled under and removed the drive shaft. I could not believe the charge was only $350, which my roadside assistance insurance was thrilled with, I'm sure.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Last fall our coach was towed off the interstate after an accident and moved about 10 miles to the tow company lot. Stored there for 4 days, then towed to a repair shop 100 miles away. Total cost $2400.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Last fall our coach was towed off the interstate after an accident and moved about 10 miles to the tow company lot. Stored there for 4 days, then towed to a repair shop 100 miles away. Total cost $2400.
Ouch! Sure hope you had road-side assist w/towing? 'Storage' of any kind seem to really run the cost up.
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two years ago I was towed about 85 miles in South Georgia. I have a 31' FLeetwood Terra Class A, Workhorse chassis, 8.1, Allison tranny. It was $800. WOW. One reason is that I called a wrecker from my home town because I wanted my RV "home". It was my first tow of something this big. Luckily, my RV insurance paid every dime of it. My problem was the famous ignition switch failure which I have replaced and added the relay. So far, So good.

Happy travels to all.
Larry
Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coach Net towed us from the other side of Boulder Dam back in to Vegas on a Sunday. The driver said that because of the day and the miles, it would have cost us over 1K. "Whatever you paid for this insurance" he said "it was worth every penny." We couldn't agree more. Coach Net is the way to go.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #27

In april on a trip thru oklahoma i was towed 10 miles, 420.00. three days later, towed 100 miles to tulsa at 830.00. My ins. payed 600.00 of the 1250.00. 2002 winnabago ultimate advantage 40e
Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
In april on a trip thru oklahoma i was towed 10 miles, 420.00. three days later, towed 100 miles to tulsa at 830.00. My ins. payed 600.00 of the 1250.00. 2002 winnabago ultimate advantage 40e
Insurance vs Road Service?? ...what was the problem??