Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Costs Of Towing Broken Down Motorhome

In comparing emergency service I am wondering what (in general) the costs of towing in the case of a motor home break down are.

I do realize that there are considerations; such as miles towed, etc; but would like to get some general feedback from those with this kind information and/or experiences.

Thanks,
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceratto's Grotto View Post
In comparing emergency service I am wondering what (in general) the costs of towing in the case of a motor home break down are.

I do realize that there are considerations; such as miles towed, etc; but would like to get some general feedback from those with this kind information and/or experiences.

Thanks,
Coachnet is the way to go. They will tow you to the nearest service facility for what is broken down.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #3

In 2001 a friend was towed 150 miles out of Death Valley to Bakersfield, CA. Tow driver said they were charging CAT (under warranty) $950.

In 2006 I was towed 80 miles in southern Georgia and Coach Net paid the full charge of $450. Tow driver said if I paid it myself it would be over $600, but they had a contract with Coach Net.

The two above were 38 and 41 foot diesel motorhomes.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Vegasdan, I do appreciate your response, but your response doesn't help me much and doesn't address the question I asked.

Maybe I needed to give a bit more explanation as to where the questions is coming from, sorry...

I already have towing insurance via other insurance policies but it is limited to a certain amount. I do understand that the CN's is unlimited, but depending upon what risk I am comfortable with, CN's policy may be more $$$ than the risk I'm willing to accept, ala: the original question as to costs of towing.
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ceratto's Grotto,
Your risk depends on the difference in the terms and conditions (Ts & Cs) of the contracts. Compare the Ts & Cs of what you have now, to what you will purchase with CN or GS (as examples). An example of a difference between CN & GS is if the coach is disabled due to an accident. CN says:
1. the customer must pay for the tow
2. ask their insurance company for reimbursement
3. If the insurance company denies the claim or pays only part of the claim, the documentation needs to be sent to CN.
4. CN will reimburse the customer for what the insurance company does not pay.

GS says:
1. is the coach totaled? If yes it is an insurance claim. If no, GS will pay for the tow, no cash out of the customer's pocket.

FYI, I have told CN they are not competitive with GS.

There may be other differences in the contracts. Make a list of the contract Ts & Cs that you are considering. Then you can decide if the differences are worth the cost and are a value to you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Ceratto's Grotto,
Your risk depends on the difference in the terms and conditions (Ts & Cs) of the contracts. Compare the Ts & Cs of what you have now, to what you will purchase with CN or GS (as examples). An example of a difference between CN & GS is if the coach is disabled due to an accident. CN says:
1. the customer must pay for the tow
2. ask their insurance company for reimbursement
3. If the insurance company denies the claim or pays only part of the claim, the documentation needs to be sent to CN.
4. CN will reimburse the customer for what the insurance company does not pay.

GS says:
1. is the coach totaled? If yes it is an insurance claim. If no, GS will pay for the tow, no cash out of the customer's pocket.

FYI, I have told CN they are not competitive with GS.

Don't forget AAA has "RV plus" towing (higher fee). I had GS before but my wife travels to dog shows and GS has a policy that they will NOT provide a tow for RV going to/from dog shows. Why? I have no idea but what good is a service that denies coverage for the trips you are most likely to take? What if CN (or GS) said we don't provide towing for people going to/from college reunions or some arbitrary type of trip? It is silly but that caused us to cancel GS and go with AAA. I am considering getting CN, too, for the RV tech support (they will supposedly give you one or the other -- tech support or a tow but not both). THen I would call the CN tech support to get me rolling. If that failed, I will call AAA for a tow.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We currently have AAA for our cars and Coachnet for the MH. AAA does offer RV towing but I've heard too many problems using AAA for this service. AAA seems to have the problem with larger coaches. And, I'm sorry that I don't have an answer as to how much it costs to tow a coach. Probably the best way to determine a ballpark figure would be to call a towing company that can handle the big rigs and ask. It would only be a ball park as each company probably will set their own fees. It will be based upon how many miles and what will have to be done to the rig in order for it to be towed ie, Allison transmissions cannot be towed in neutral wheels down. The drive shaft or axles have to be removed no matter how far it has to be moved.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Goodsam ERS will tow to the nearest approved service facility. No cost to me, I know. They will also cover any vehicle I drive, they even towed my mothers car that I was driving when a gas line broke. Towed it to the nearest buick dealership. 40 miles away.
I,m sticking with them
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
currently have AAA for our cars and Coachnet for the MH.
Why both????? I had AAA before we bought the MH, but our Coachnet contract covers the MH AND ALL OTHER VEHICLES WE OWN for much less money than AAA covered three cars...

As for costs for towing a large MH, I do know that my coach would require a large wrecker with a triple-stage lift, and that the drive shaft would have to be removed and air connected to the wrecker. You really need to be sure you have someone who knows what they are doing for the job!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Why both????? I had AAA before we bought the MH, but our Coachnet contract covers the MH AND ALL OTHER VEHICLES WE OWN for much less money than AAA covered three cars...

As for costs for towing a large MH, I do know that my coach would require a large wrecker with a triple-stage lift, and that the drive shaft would have to be removed and air connected to the wrecker. You really need to be sure you have someone who knows what they are doing for the job!!
We only have the AAA now as we had it on the cars before we got the coach. We are dropping the AAA when it comes due. I know that Coach Net covers the car as well.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #11

Big rig tows used to average about $200 to leave their garage and from $2.00 to $5.00 a mile. They might throw in 15-20 miles.

During my CHP career I saw MANY, MANY big rig semis towed and a 5 digit tow bill was not all that unusual.

I know, your m/h isn't a big rig semi, BUT it uses the same size tow truck to move it, the same commercial d/l for the driver, his knowledge and skill, wear and tear, etc., etc., etc.

Buy towing insurance. You could buy it for many years for the cost of just one tow.

Also, DVNP to Bakersfield is about 250 miles.

Minimum fee for a car to be towed from DVNP to Lone Pine (nearest tow, 106 miles)) was $600 CASH when I worked there in the late 90s.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceratto's Grotto View Post

Thanks,
Good Sam ERS has unlimited towing. No mile limits and no $. That is the only reason I picked that Road Service. Even with a warranty from another company I want the GS towing coverage. My Warranty (not Good Sam) only allows $100 worth of towing! That would get me about a block! CoachNet might be the same with no out of pocket...I don't know. Joe
Old 04-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
CoachNet might be the same with no out of pocket...I don't know. Joe
It is the same.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #14

I realize the OP is asking about the "cost of towing a broken down motorhome", but since most are relaying their experience with different ERS providers I will add my experience with Coach Net.

After owning our present MH for about 18 months and having no ERS plan I decided to purchase the Coach Net plan. After researching different plans I chose Coach Net because their plan did specify that they would also provide towing of a trailer that was being towed by the MH. Less than 2 months after I purchased the plan, my MH broke down in Gainesville Fl. as I was headed north to a drag race in Ga. with my trailer and race car in tow. I contacted Coach Net, told them of my problem and my location. The first question they asked was if I was safe and if the MH was safely off of the roadway. I told them I was safe and the MH was safely off of the roadway in a grocery store parking lot. They told me they would contact the proper towing company to tow the MH and asked if I needed to have the trailer towed also. I told them that I had a friend coming to tow the trailer for me. They explained that they would tow the MH to the nearest place they had connections to that would be able to make the necessary repairs. I explained to the lady on the phone that I was very familiar with the Gainesville area and that I was only 15 miles from my home town of Williston, Fl. I further explained that I would likely be towed across the city of Gainesville to the north side of town and that the towed distance would be about the same to tow the MH back to Williston to the repair shop that I use regularly for all my vehichles. After confirming this with the towing company, I was towed to the location I requested.

After the MH was dropped at the garage, the driver copied my Coach Net membership number on his form and had me sign it. I asked how much I owed and he replied that it was covered in full by Coach Net. I gave the driver $25 as a tip.

The friend that towed my trailer and race car has worked in the towing industry previously and said that if I had to pay out of pocket that tow would have probably cost me $500 - $600.

I haven't done many smart things in my lifetime, but purchasing a ERS plan for $100 a year was one time I did make the right decision.
Joe&Karen is offline   Reply With Quote