Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Senior Member
tylerdmoore's Avatar
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Everett WA.
Posts: 211
Could use some ideas

I have two issues that I could use some help with. One is the ice-maker supply line, the second is extending the power cord on my "Pirit" heated hose.

1. The ice-maker supply line in question is behind the panel located on the outside of the rig. There is also the plastic valve assembly to consider. Now that the weather is getting close to freezing, I need to come up with a way to protect these items without losing functionality...I really like my ice. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? Do you think that heat tape would work on such a small plastic line etc? Surprisingly there is a 120 volt outlet in that space 6" from the line in question.

2. My "Pirit" heated hose came with a 6' "+or-" length power cord from the factory...I got the minus length. I need to add an extension cord to make it work out. The manufacturer states that this is not an option and should never be done. I'm thinking that with such low amp draws that there is no reason not to. Liability is the only reason I can come up with why they would say this. If you had an unprotected connection in the rain for example, issues could arise.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with these issues?

Wore out, Fed up and done! IT's PLAY TIME
1999 Monaco Windsor 40PB
tylerdmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
KIX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 3,579
A light bulb for the ice maker valve and water line.

Assuming you only need 2 or 3 feet of extension you could probably just use the same gauge wire and spice in the piece using waterproof connectors.

'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
Walter5555's Avatar
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Union City, Ca.
Posts: 544
I was in Arizona down around Tucson a few years back and it was in the winter months I was not sure if the water would freeze or not.
I had a water fillter connected on the out side of the M.H. so I loosen the outlet line to the fillter just enought to let the water drip, that way the line would not freeze up. (hopefully not, anyway) but their was ice in the fillter the next morning but the lines in side of my M.H. were O.K.
I live in Northen California where it get a little cool in the winter months so I do the same thing to any water pipes that are exsposed to the elements.
Now this was while I was hooked up to the camps water supply I never thought about it if I was dry camping I would not want the water pump on all night.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Registered User
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
As for the extension.. Sure, you can. Get whats called an 'Appliance Extension Cord'. They are heavier duty and can prolly handle more amps than the original cord. They also come in short 3', 6', 9' etc, etc lengths.
Here is a link to show you, but any place like ACE will have them. Amazon.com: PETRA 15-0312 Appliance Extension Cord, 12-Foot: Home Improvement
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 367
I read somewhere about using Christmas tree lights for this. I'm not sure which type of bulbs though. Maybe the LEDs would produce enough heat.
A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman!
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.