Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #1

Could you pass an air brake test.

Having recently bought a mh with air brakes, I had to get my air endorsement added to my licence. Having read many threads on the forums, it appears many with air brakes dont understand how the system works. I know most states dont require a cdl for a mh, but understanding how the brake system works, and how to check your system for possible defective components, is just a good idea for safety reasons. Here are five practice tests similar to what we have to pass in Ontario. We all drive the same trucks and rvs, so the questions are relevant to all who drive air brake systems. Cheers. Ontario Air Brake Z Endorsement Knowledge Test Practice | DrivingTest
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Great idea. Braking systems are one thing the operator needs to understand.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, the written tests, and the driving test in Ontario to get a D licence with a Z endorsement for large diesel motor homes should be required in all states and provinces.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

Driving an , air brake equipped motor home ; without the air brake endorsement ; here in BC , is basically driving without a license.
Would probably effect insurance in the case of an " at fault " accident .

The part that bugs me the most , is that RV Dealers won't tell you up front about the requirement ; same with the 10,000 lb. GVWR on trailers ; you have to read all the fine print on your insurance/registration paperwork.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Having recently bought a mh with air brakes, I had to get my air endorsement added to my licence. Having read many threads on the forums, it appears many with air brakes dont understand how the system works. I know most states dont require a cdl for a mh, but understanding how the brake system works, and how to check your system for possible defective components, is just a good idea for safety reasons. Here are five practice tests similar to what we have to pass in Ontario. We all drive the same trucks and rvs, so the questions are relevant to all who drive air brake systems. Cheers. Ontario Air Brake Z Endorsement Knowledge Test Practice | DrivingTest
I took it without studying and got a C - 77%. Not very good considering I own an RV with air brakes. I will keep studying till I am at 100%. I don't think a C is good enough considering my family is traveling with me.
cpkleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #6

Well I guess us folks in Arkansas should never go into or thru Ontario, they only require a basic DL for operation of any class of vehicle except for Commercial here. I can operate my Class 8 Kenworth pulling my 5er with the basic DL, that is if I still had it
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Although many States in U.S. do not require air brake endorsement, this manual has good information on air brake operation and testing. https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/PDFs/AirBrakeManual.pdf
Other manuals are available from Iowa and Florida DMV websites.

Before every trip this is the minimum test you should do of the air brake system.

1.Chock the wheels.
2. Start the engine and run until air pressure cutout is reached, the dryer will purge. (about 120 PSI).
3. Shut off the engine.
4. Release the parking brake by pushing in the yellow button, do NOT apply the service brake.
5. The air pressure will drop, then stabilize, after that the system should not lose more than 2 PSI per minute.
6. Apply the brake pedal firmly (still with the parking brake OFF).
7. After the initial pressure drop, the system should not lose any more than 3 PSI per minute.
8. With the engine off and parking brake off, rapidly pump (fan) the brake pedal to bleed down the air supply. During this stage you should watch for the warning light and buzzer at about 60 PSI and then the yellow button (parking brake) should pop out at about 30-45 PSI.
9. Restart the engine and build up air pressure. While building up pressure, check how long it takes for pressure to go from 85 to 100 PSI at about 1200 RPM. It should be less than 45 seconds.
10. Set parking brake, Remove chocks, put vehicle in gear against the parking brake, slightly increase rpm, it should not move.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkleve View Post
I took it without studying and got a C - 77%. Not very good considering I own an RV with air brakes. I will keep studying till I am at 100%. I don't think a C is good enough considering my family is traveling with me.
Thats what I did before I wrote the test. I got 100 percent on the test. How air brakes work is knowledge you should have to be driving air brake vehicles. Its a matter of life and death.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great info thanks
Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is a good set of tests...It pointed out how much I forgot about trailer brakes!
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
good info & thread, thx.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
i'm new to air brakes and found this thread interesting enough to watch a couple of youtube videos on the subject.

for those interested, here's a link to one of the vids i felt was worth watching.

Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Driving an , air brake equipped motor home ; without the air brake endorsement ; here in BC , is basically driving without a license.
Would probably effect insurance in the case of an " at fault " accident .

The part that bugs me the most , is that RV Dealers won't tell you up front about the requirement ; same with the 10,000 lb. GVWR on trailers ; you have to read all the fine print on your insurance/registration paperwork.
Would this also be the norm in a unit that has air over hydraulic? Looked at one across the waters from you over in Courtenay and that was the setup. Again the salesman said no special license issues with ICBC.
Marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #14

Glad some are finding it useful. Before I got my air licence, I had driven forklifts and off road trucks with air brakes. Never thought any extra knowledge was required. After getting my licence I realized that it is good info to know. Some of the stuff is only related to tractor trailers, but Ontario doesnt have just an RV air licence. When I did my practical test in my mh, they only tested me on stuff in my coach.

Tags
brake, test