Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Counterfeit Tires

Just ran across this story on Yahoo.com about counterfeit tires:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/counter...110000450.html

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You buy tires made in china you know you are getting cheaper made tires,.....seems quite simple to me.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #3

Goes too show China will make crappy counterfeit copies of anything, just too make some money 😡
Old 11-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree with CR 100%. "Don't skimp on tires". Your life may depend on it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #5

Goodyear, Pirelli, and some other brands have been made in China. Timpkin bearings has several plants in China and I have also had very good luck with Sailun tires along with our fabulous iPhones. To blanket Chinese made products as junk is poor thinking period.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #6

Timpkin...is that a typo or a Chinese company trying to fool us into thinking we're buying genuine Timkin bearings?
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
And your phone is assembled in China, but virtually
all the components are made elsewhere.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #8

I had my front bearings replaced, and 7mos. later they started going bad. Had them pulled and were told they were made in China. They said they do quite a few replacements because of the inferior metal used. I made sure the replacements were American made. You'll not see me buying anything made in China.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I managed a couple of factories that received finished products and raw components from Chinese sources. Our corporate people would go in to the China factories, help them get up and running and to the necessary quality level. Then they would leave and the Chinese managers would source what they wanted and revert to their methods. One of the key components was steel and Stainless steel cable. The American sources had been "killed" off by lower prices. The Chinese product was frequently rejected by the truck load for no internal lube and/or inadequate tensile strength.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
My DW and I have a very simple practice, we vote with our money! We avoid any products made in China, we don't travel outside the US any more, we don't drink any wine made in France,and we always try and buy produce grown locally! Works for us! The power of the ole buck is and always will be strong! My 0.02
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #11

Just to heap on the pile here ... recently I had a Diesel engine rebuilt with all new parts. Anything that moved was tossed out and replaced with "new". I didn't realize how incredibly difficult it is to honor the "nothing from China" policy. My repair shop had to special order parts made in Cleveland, OH and wait a long time for delivery. The alternative would be to take the easy way; pick up the phone and get China made parts out of almost a dozen nearby warehouses the next day.

Maybe those China parts are machined to spec ... maybe not. How is one to know? Even the package sometimes is deceptive. It may say "Genuine (fill in the blank) Part" but the item very well could be imported (China, India, Mexico, Brazil, etc.).

Sorry to say, but I believe most of my wardrobe is non-USA stuff, even though my wife tries to shop for American made.

As far as tires ... I did some research on the tire codes (country of origin codes) and found that all of my tires on all vehicles are off shore manufactured.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Just to heap on the pile here ... recently I had a Diesel engine rebuilt with all new parts. Anything that moved was tossed out and replaced with "new". I didn't realize how incredibly difficult it is to honor the "nothing from China" policy.

Try to buy a non-China TV.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Just to heap on the pile here ... recently I had a Diesel engine rebuilt with all new parts. Anything that moved was tossed out and replaced with "new". I didn't realize how incredibly difficult it is to honor the "nothing from China" policy. My repair shop had to special order parts made in Cleveland, OH and wait a long time for delivery. The alternative would be to take the easy way; pick up the phone and get China made parts out of almost a dozen nearby warehouses the next day.

Maybe those China parts are machined to spec ... maybe not. How is one to know? Even the package sometimes is deceptive. It may say "Genuine (fill in the blank) Part" but the item very well could be imported (China, India, Mexico, Brazil, etc.).

Sorry to say, but I believe most of my wardrobe is non-USA stuff, even though my wife tries to shop for American made.

As far as tires ... I did some research on the tire codes (country of origin codes) and found that all of my tires on all vehicles are off shore manufactured.
I have been a diesel engine mechanic and machinist most of my life. In my later years, I owned a parts warehouse for two major diesel engine parts providers. Point of origin of all parts had to be declared before the parts could be received and inventoried into the warehouse.

There are almost no U.S. manufacturers of engine parts anymore. They are all importing from China, Taiwan, India, etc. Because it's a global marketplace now, China will eventually have to learn that they will have to manufacture their parts to specified standards.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires