Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
After just dropping the price of a nice home on a CC, I was happy to pay 25 bucks for the build sheet and about 20 minutes on the phone with Kevin who was professional and very helpful.

2005 Country Coach Allure 470 42
ISL 400 Cummins
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
The whole issue of tires and weights was discussed at length on the internet in the past. A well thought out search might produce the answers.
If this is true, I would greatly appreciate the link. I am not the type of individual who doesn't research the living day lights out of a issue before posting. So short answer, yes, I've spend at least 6 hours on my computer trying to find detailed information. Specifically, original tire size involved in the recall. Second, what tire they replace it with.

I assumed this would be easy information to find. But no. Worse I assumed, CC would be happy to provide.

And yes, we spend 10 minutes debating the entire subject of fee vs liability. I did speak with a CC sales rep today and she apologized and explained that technical support is on a system which tracks every call. So their hands are somewhat tied. Still optimistic that someone within CC might support me. I do believe they are a good company.

I am new and am greatly appreciative of all the valuable information I've received in my recent threads. But being a newbie doesn't make my input any more or less valuable. I haven't owned a RV prior but do plan on being an active participant on this forum. Both seeking and providing information as I become more & more educated. I tend to be a mechanical & tech geek...I'm just new to coaches at the moment.

customfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Check With Gregg at CC:

Gregg Bootes
Technical Support and Chassis Parts

541-234-2167 Ext. 8013
541-234-2189 Fax

He answered a couple of questions for me recently on my coach.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #18
I think you'll find the current owner of the current Country Coach is Ron Lee. I believe he bought the intellectual property of the bankrupt Country Coach about four years ago or so.

Your coach is a 1997 right? Probably made in 1996. Just FYI, according to Ron Lee's bio, he was "let go" from Country Coach in 1995.

So regarding "customer" service, you really aren't his customer. In fact, the original owner of your coach wasn't really a customer of Ron Lee.

I imagine that if Ron Lee and today's Country Coach are ever rolling out new coaches he might conclude that he could get a better return on his investment in the intellectual property of the defunct company if he starts handing out tech support and other things for free. It may be that the good will generated will translate into the purchase of new coaches.

For the time being, it is my understanding that Country Coach is in the business of providing tech support and service on motorhomes. Especially those made by the former iteration(s?) of the company. That's their business. He's trying to earn a living off that service and the investment he made in the intellectual property of the old company.

As much as I sympathize with wanting something for nothing, and understand arguments about generating good will, I can also appreciate the view Ron Lee probably has: generate good will for what? You're asking me to give away for free that which I'm in the business of selling -- would you have me generate good will just to have people ask me to give away more things?

If I were a business owner and someone tried to argue those points with me, frankly, I would probably think they were nuts.

And while grown ups are entitled to think what they want, since you're on a public forum let me add this: If I put my family's lives in jeopardy over $25 I would have an issue at home. A big one. YMMV.

I'm certainly not trying to be harsh, by the way. Just providing different viewpoints to consider. Take care and good luck in your quest.
Southpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Before we finalized the deal on our Allure in April 2013, I called CC to see just what they offered in terms of support and parts. I don't remember who I spoke with back then but I think it was Gregg Bootes. He basically told me they had parts, could provide service and tech support. I knew they were not the original company. Fortunately, the original owner left all the technical documentation in the coach and shared other info with me before I bought the coach from the dealer.

I have spoken to folks at CC since to inquire about/order parts and to get tech info to make a repair. I was never charged for the technical info but would have paid with no problem. I agree with most here that this new company needs to make a profit and I see no problem with their charging a fee for technical info and advice.

As noted, Kevin Waite and his BIL Butch Williams (both former CC techs) offer an excellent unlimited tech support for an annual fee. The will help the owner or the owner's mechanic by phone. They saved me the annual fee in the first 6 months of ownership by helping me do repairs.

Finally, we just left the CC service facility in Junction City, OR having a few things done. My overall experience with them was excellent, they were helpful and all repairs were satisfactory.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #20
Originally Posted by customfab View Post
I would like to share my recent experience with Country Coach technical support & customer service. Unfortunately, it was a rather negative experience for me and extremely disappointing as a new owner of a used CC. If I wasn't legally & ethically committed to purchasing my used CC, this experience alone would change my purchase decision. I believe customer support says everything about a company. So for those of you considering a Country Coach purchase, please take this experience into consideration. If you purchase under a warranty, I'm sure this is a non-issue but out of warranty.....maybe not. Hopefully, I will get some feedback directly from CC and they will resolve everything. FYI, I'm emailing this thread to CC so they can defend themselves.

I'm picking up a 1997 CC Allure in 2 weeks located in Arizona. It is a beautiful one owner rig, in fantastic condition. These particular models along with other CC coaches were involved in a factory recall due to tire blow-outs. In summary, CC produced them with undersized tires as their original front axle rating was incorrect. So they eventually issued a factory recall for 289 Allure and Intrique motorhomes with slide-outs. Ultimately, CC installed different tires & changed the height control system to address the problem.

So anyway, I called CC for one very specific reason. I simply wanted them to confirm what tire size was recommended on my particular coach and what the actual GVWR is for the front axle. I've read the tires were updated from XX? to 11R22.5 series. But honestly, I can't find any piece of literature to 100% substantiate. I have found owners with 11R22.5s, but I was hoping to get info directly from CC. Apparently that is too much to ask of CC.

The safety recall article references a front axle rating of 13,200 lbs while the factory originally rated them at 11,000 lbs for my particular coach (40 foot Allure with great room slide-out). As you can see, there is a major difference front axle rating which is directly related to tire choice. Ultimately, I want to be 100% sure my coach has the correct tires & if 295/80R22.5s would be the ideal new tire to install. I was hoping to determine if my VIN # had been addressed in the recall, but I didn't make this request as they refused my very basic tire question unless they could first charge my credit card for a technical fee!!!!

That's right. Country Couch technical support would not provide me with one bit of information UNLESS I paid them a $25 fee for every 15 minutes on the phone. I told them I simply wanted to know the post-recall recommended tire & updated front axle GVWR rating. Response? Nope, can't do. "We are a business & you need to pay for this as a technical service fee". I begged and pleaded stating this was a major safety issue for me and my family. Nope, nothing, too bad unless I paid. In their defense, they did state it would likely take less than 15 minutes!!!! Ha!

ABSOLUTELY ridiculous considering the circumstances of the product recall, safety liability issues, etc. I understand a fee for diagnosing a problem with my coach, etc. I have no issues with this. But something related to a safety recall? Something that could jeopardize my family's safety & ultimately their good brand name?

I was additionally told that they did not manufacturer my coach. Yes, I know CC went bankrupt and a new group of investors recently purchased the factory, inventory and brand name. Thing is, they still retained the CC brand, retained the parts inventory, tooling, etc and still actively service older CC coaches. So don't go telling me it isn't your product. Sorry CC but you retained the brand for a reason & continue to support these coaches. So don't talk out of both sides of your mouth!

All in all, I'm quite pissed off. I believe it is horrible policy. I believe that is horrible customer support. I believe it is simply a bad business decision to withhold information that is directly tied to a major recall involving past fatalities due to front wheel blow-outs.

If anyone reading can point me to a customer support employee of CC that will help me with this problem that would be FANTASTIC. Maybe I spoke to the wrong employee (Kevin? maybe) or he was having a bad day. I'm not sure but I do want to give them the benefit of doubt here. I'm not here to bash Country Coach as I am a proud owner. And I'd certainly rather be informing others of a wonderful experience.

FYI, you can see the recall history details here:

Persistent RV Tire Problems Prompt Fifth Recall; NHTSA Investigation Focuses New Attention on RV Safety | Safety Research & Strategies, Inc.

A blurb from article:

"That recall forced the company to take a closer look at the weight ratings of its motor homes, and in 2000, the company discovered that its Affinity Grande Chalet motor homes had been assigned an inaccurate front axle weight rating. An inspection of all of its products since 1990 uncovered more models with the same problem. In total, 289 1995-1998 Allure and Intrigue motor homes had been similarly misclassified. The vehicles were rated as 9,000, 10,410 and 11,000 pounds, when they should have been rated at 13,200 pounds. This time, Country Coach offered to replace the incorrect tire tags and replace the front tires and rims at no charge."
Well, I guess the $25 fee is worth it since this is a major safety issue. It's good that these guys bought the CC data, or we would have no source to refer to.
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
National RV Owners Club
I agree. There are two sides to this argument. The one that says the company has to make money and the other that says you shouldn't have to pay for every little scrap of information. Both are valid but the comments that suggest that the OP is out of line for taking issue with charging for such a basic piece of info is simply wrong headed. He doesn't sound like someone who goes off ranting about everything and in fact seems to have gone out of his way to give CC a chance to tell their side if they so choose. Far more fair minded than some of the comments in this thread.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This seems like a good time to point out that iRV2 has a "Be Nice" rule which is taken very seriously.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #23
[moderator edit]

It does add perspective to the discussion. Too much ruins a group but the issue here is a complaint about the second or third owner of the data trying to recover the cost of getting and keeping it. If I was running the phone pool the customer would get a couple of minutes to anti up cash or get a polite disconnect. Persistent callers who would not pay would not get that much. The person who posted the "call john" message just set that guy up for a lot of phone grief. Nice return for a favor.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
SAY WHAT!? What part of CC went broke in 2008 is so hard to understand? It's a good thing you aren't buying a high dollar classic Corvette. You should see how Chevy handles those calls. Their answer is, "What year!? we don't service those anymore"! No amount of money will get you an answer from GM...they don't know!!

Have you ever called on a computer problem when the product is out of warranty? How much did they quote you for paid CS?

Too bad you didn't make a post with your question before spending your money on the CC. You could have saved at least $25.00
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 AM   #25
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just to add a little info on CC. Ron is working on structuring financing so he can start to build new CC again. They are in the process of building a prototype Allure while designing a new Magna. He decided on the Allure prototype rather than a Magna prototype first.

I have had great success in gaining info and parts from CC since we have owned our Magna. I have a couple of irritating problems I have to iron out once we get home. We have to send the leveling computer (Travel Mode is not working) back to HWH for repairs. HWH says these repairs cannot be done on site. Our door keypad is not working to lock/unlock the coach (it does OK with lock/unlock of the cabinet doors). Also our one remaining key FOB is intermittent. We never got a second FOB from the original owner.

I was able to easily get prices on replacement Keypads and FOB (may need a FOB Controller as well) from CC. I suspect I will order these once we get home as well.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:16 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
I am glad to see CC is trying to make a comeback, but to get cut down from a "maybe" purchaser of a 17 year coach is unbelievable. I had a 2002 Travel Supreme when they closed their doors and kept that coach for another six enjoyable years without any support. Entegra did purchase TS and is offering CS where they can, but there is only so much knowledge a second owner of a company can have. Some people need to get real or get another hobby. I hope the OP does send these posts to CC because my answer is, "atta boy CC" you do what you need to get back in business. I wish you much success again, you built a great product before and you can do it again.

Companies like yours have a great following.....I followed my new owners and just took title to the "new" Travel Supreme.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #27
"Just to add a little info on CC. Ron is working on structuring financing so he can start to build new CC again. They are in the process of building a prototype Allure while designing a new Magna. He decided on the Allure prototype rather than a Magna prototype first"

He has been working on financing for quite a few years now and nothing yet. At one point he was going to build a coach in the 350 to 400K range and now there are visions of 7-800K priced coaches. I can afford one but at this point in my life no way would I buy one.

The original CC would still be in business if they had gone with the flow and built what customers told them they wanted instead of getting hung up on building bigger and more costly coaches. They sunk a lot of production into the "Veranda" line thinking that was the savior
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #28
OP - Congrats on the CC. Do some searches and you will find the info you want. The DOT's Recall Info is very informative, but a PITA to search!

I own a CC, bought it knowing it was an orphan. I was glad when Ron and gang, bought the IP at the bankruptcy sale. And, if needed, yeah - I'd dish out $25 to get important information.

Your era coach is great (Dean will say - GREAT!), go figure out what you want to know about the tires. And move on and have fun.

If you need help on anything, hit up the CC section here and on Yahoo CC User Group. And, the techs mentioned by others, are a very solid way to go for work and help.

I wish you the best,

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote