Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #15

The only test ride we have taken in a Foretravel was years ago in a early 90's model, and the ride did not impress us at all compared to our at the time gasser. We were going to take a newer Foretravel for a ride when we had our coach serviced at the factory two years ago, but the salesman was too busy--one strike against Foretravel!

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #16

Well you got me there Peralko, I didn't drive one at Foretravel, I drove it in SoCal. But just because someone leaves us feeling like they're about to ask us to pick up our teeth with broken fingers doesn't mean they don't make a great product!

Moreover, I've put it in older posts but I should always clarify that my affection for Foretravels is based on their 2006 lineup and newer. And the newer is based on having never read anything negative to suggest things have gone downhill since. Nor have a driven an IFS model.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #17

While we are definitely leaning toward a Country Coach for our next coach, we will test drive a Foretravel to see how they compare. We test drove a Country Coach Affinity last year, and having ridden in Prevost buses, the Affinity drives just as nice. A big advantage for us is that the Foretravel factory is close, unlike Country Coach. We also got very good service at Foretravel when we serviced the coach there. But a Foretravel without a heated floor is a no-go for us!
Old 09-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpark View Post
I should always clarify that my affection for Foretravels is based on their 2006 lineup and newer.
Just in case someone is looking at a 1988 - 2005 Foretravel, be sure to have it checked for bulkhead separation.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #19

I'mI'm thinnking that I should have replaced Foretravel with American coaches. Seems that Foretravels are a notch above the price points of the other ones.

Would an American coach be in the same ballpark as CC and TS?
Old 09-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #20

American coaches are built on a Spartan chassis--they buy the chassis and build the house on top of it like TS. Country Coach built their own chassis. If you look closely at things like the cabinet work, American Coaches don't come close in workmanship.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #21

I think American has recently switched to Freightliner. A buddy has an '04 Tradition that is a good coach with few problems. But Peralko is right they, and Travel Supreme are not, in my opinion, in the same league.

Unlike the others a Country Coach doesn't just have great cabinetry (it does) but is built from the ground up differently.

Unless I'm wildly mistaken, CC starts with its own custom steel subchassis, then vacubonds walls made with a tubular steel frame, then welds them to the subchassis for one strong and ridged chassis that works together as one Sid unit. The others have a house with an aluminum frame that is obviously not welded to the steel subchassis -- which is bought from Spartan or Freightliner.

I've seen some great deals on 2005-06 CC Magnas. Add that to the superior construction and that's why I consider them a bang for the buck leader. Rather than fluff and frills, you're actually getting something substantial as an extra for your money.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We looked at Newmar Essex, Newmar Mountain Aires, Monaco Dynasty, and American Heritage and Eagles of the same era (2005 -07) as our CC. The Essex seemed well constructed but had too much fu fu for our tastes. The Eagles we viewed were nice but, again, decorated in a way that we thought overdone. The Allure we purchased seemed to provide the best combination of tasteful décor, outstanding interior quality (the cabinet work was the best we saw), and overall build quality. After driving it across the USA for the past 4 months, I am sold on the way they built the chassis. No rattles, squeaks and it drives like a dream.

Of the brands listed (CC, TS, Newmar, Foretravel) I don't think you would be disappointed in any of them if you got a coach that has been properly maintained. Same probably true for American's top models and Monaco's top models.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
While we are definitely leaning toward a Country Coach for our next coach, we will test drive a Foretravel to see how they compare. We test drove a Country Coach Affinity last year, and having ridden in Prevost buses, the Affinity drives just as nice. A big advantage for us is that the Foretravel factory is close, unlike Country Coach. We also got very good service at Foretravel when we serviced the coach there. But a Foretravel without a heated floor is a no-go for us!
I've seen at least parts of the floor heated. Can't remember if I've seen one where I was heated front to back. My next coach will be likely be a foretravel. Though, sadly, I'll never have a new one. If you could swing that I'm sure they would be willing to heat the floor. I understand most made today are custom interiors.

To me the ride is firmer than a Prevost. I suspect smaller airbags. But the steering and tracking is very precise which I appreciate. The Prevosts we've really liked were new enough to be out of a price range we think is realistic for us. Same with Newell. Those are our Lotto coaches.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
FWIW, and I'm not trying to play the mine is better than yours game, but the Entegra's are successors to Travel Supreme. All of the coaches mentioned here are top quality. I'm just pointing out that there is an alternative to the orphan Travel Supreme's.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #25

Smllranger, the reduced rattles in squeaks was the first thing I noticed years ago that led me to investigate and undersand how these things are constructed. Okay, maybe not the first -- that was probably the VAST differences in cabinet construction that are out there.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpark View Post
I've seen at least parts of the floor heated. Can't remember if I've seen one where I was heated front to back. My next coach will be likely be a foretravel. Though, sadly, I'll never have a new one. If you could swing that I'm sure they would be willing to heat the floor. I understand most made today are custom interiors.

To me the ride is firmer than a Prevost. I suspect smaller airbags. But the steering and tracking is very precise which I appreciate. The Prevosts we've really liked were new enough to be out of a price range we think is realistic for us. Same with Newell. Those are our Lotto coaches.
Most of the new Foretravels have heated floors--unfortunately they're way out of our budget range. But it is very hard to find a Foretravel for less than $300k with a heated floor. Easy to find a Country Coach with heated floor from the $150k on up, including living room, kitchen and bath. Of course, while the heated floor is a requirement for us, we also have a long list of what we want in our next coach, and Country Coaches pretty much checks all our boxes!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I have quit chasing brands. Instead I chase amenities. Tag axle, Aqua-Hot and Air Leveling cuts the field pretty quick. I prefer outboard airbags because that is what real busses use, Prevost etc. I find the house stuff to be similar across most brands,... Drivetrain is also similar, hence similar reliability and upkeep.

Having a manufacturer still in business is over rated.

I also like nice cabinetry, but it takes a stiff chassis to keep it nice. I conduct my search like this. Pick a chassis, Foretravel, Dynomax, Roadmaster in no particular order. Check amenities, find floor plan. Check prices against low retail and wholesale.

Good luck with search!

this is our shopping policy, too. When we passed the dealership and saw a few coaches that looked nice, we turned around and stopped; the plan being to get more familiar with whether a B or C could do the trick for us. OK, no. Our need was for a bathroom and kitchen to be accessible at all times.

Other than that, driver sits up front, sleeps in back, and has privacy in the loo. Everything else was negotiable, so we focused on the one we bought because it had a name-brand chassis, Cummins, Allison, low miles, and a steal of a price...maybe because of the brand (that we'd never heard of)?

We don't plan to use a MH more than 10 years, so this might be just fine because we won't travel more than 3-4000 miles a year. However, moving to a tag, side radiator, ceramic, tub, etc. might come along if we stumble onto a real deal down the road.

Knowing what brand levels you guys gravitate to helps with the search.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

We don't plan to use a MH more than 10 years, so this might be just fine because we won't travel more than 3-4000 miles a year. However, moving to a tag, side radiator, ceramic, tub, etc. might come along if we stumble onto a real deal down the road.

Knowing what brand levels you guys gravitate to helps with the search.
Hardest thing to do is predict how you will use it 5 years from now. Our single slide 350HP was perfect for vacations and weekend use. 9 months a year pulling 7k….not so much, hence our search. We've averaged 7k miles over 4 years and S&B is for sale, things have a way of changing.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel supreme