Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
A lot depends on how you are going to use it and in what climates. If you plan on using it in colder temperatures, even for the occasional trip, do your research well.

Some coaches are insulated much better than others. We were looking for a couch that was well insulated and could handle colder temps. Our HR Imperial at the time was not suited for cold weather and was hard to keep warm in 30 degree weather. I would suggest going to each of the owners forums and see how people are using them. When I researched winter use, in the Country Coach forum there were minimal complaints, even by folks using them through a Rockies ski season or an Alaskan winter. While searching other forums, another brand mentioned here, their idea of winter were snowbirds getting caught up north too late and what needed to be done to get the coach south for the winter such as carrying buckets of fresh water and not filling the coach up.

I know from experience that CC's are very well insulated. I had a leak in my webasto system and it wouldn't pressurize, so I had to keep it off for nearly a week until I could get it fixed. So in 15 degree weather with howling winds, the coach never dipped below 58 only using the radiant floor heating and never had an issue with my wet bay.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Country Coach Owners Club
Wow Plasma. You're in Houston and you referenced a place out here in Oregon! In answer to Bama's question, I have to agree with other posters. It comes down to what amenities can you get for your budget. I have family that own CCs, and Newell. My wife and I wanted a CC Intrigue from Premiere RV down in Junction City Oregon (the same place Plasma recommended.) got to say for anyone in the market for a used CC - the guys at Premiere (specifically Lou) are amazing. They're all former CC employees who actually bought the assembly facility next to the CC building. When you get there you're not really sure why you made the drive, until you walk in! OMG! They have every coach dialed in to the 9's and all on perfect display as if you were inside a gigantic private garage of some super coach owner who had a few dozen models on display for all to see. Every coach is perfectly parked, angled out and on display as if to say "look at us!" They sure know their stuff and we still kick ourselves in the pants for passing on the Intrigue. We just happened to steal a Dynasty well under our price range, versus the Intrigue that was at the top.

Bam you list a bunch of nice manufacturers. Go with what feels right, don't go beyond your budget and buy as much as you can within reason. CC, Newmar, TS and Foretravel all gr8 rides! Save some money and look for a pristine Dynasty or Signature that has many of the bells and whistles of a 200k CC! Inmo.
Snocat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
I drove a foretravel 36ft last week. Handled better smoother on most bumps but bucked noticeably more than 40ft tiffin now owned. My tiffin has a number or rattlesand squeaks, but nothing as bad as the rattles and squeaks the foretravel had coming the dash. If the rest of it makes that much noise I can't live with it. Maybe I need to drive another one.
cmtnrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Foretravel
Newmar
Tiffin
Country Coach

I put County Coach last not because they aren't a great coach, they are, it's just because they're nolonger producing any rigs.

I really partial to Newmar because I own one too. Customer service is awesome BTW.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts
Apple Valley CA
2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP-3910
Spartan MM Chassis 8.9 ltr ISL Cummins
2002 Saturn SL2
We just went from a Newmar ('02 DSDP) to a CC and I certainly wouldn't downgrade them due to production being ceased. The company is still in operation, they are working on a new unit and supposedly funding to start up again is almost in place. I can get any parts I need either from CC or other places about as easily as I could for our Newmar.
But stay away from the ISX 650, or at least the 2007 emission version, the 2010 version seems to be better.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocat4 View Post
Wow Plasma. You're in Houston and you referenced a place out here in Oregon! In answer to Bama's question, I have to agree with other posters. It comes down to what amenities can you get for your budget. I have family that own CCs, and Newell. My wife and I wanted a CC Intrigue from Premiere RV down in Junction City Oregon (the same place Plasma recommended.) got to say for anyone in the market for a used CC - the guys at Premiere (specifically Lou) are amazing. They're all former CC employees who actually bought the assembly facility next to the CC building. When you get there you're not really sure why you made the drive, until you walk in! OMG! They have every coach dialed in to the 9's and all on perfect display as if you were inside a gigantic private garage of some super coach owner who had a few dozen models on display for all to see. Every coach is perfectly parked, angled out and on display as if to say "look at us!" They sure know their stuff and we still kick ourselves in the pants for passing on the Intrigue. We just happened to steal a Dynasty well under our price range, versus the Intrigue that was at the top.

Bam you list a bunch of nice manufacturers. Go with what feels right, don't go beyond your budget and buy as much as you can within reason. CC, Newmar, TS and Foretravel all gr8 rides! Save some money and look for a pristine Dynasty or Signature that has many of the bells and whistles of a 200k CC! Inmo.
We, we bought our CC 2009 Magna 45′ | Premier RV from Louie at Premiere, 2.600 miles later the engine blew up to the tune of $29,000 with Cummins picking up about $10,000 of it. Right now there's a nagging suspicion that the oil report I asked for but didn't get in time showed the impending engine failure. Over 1% water and 10 times the normal iron in the oil. Louie told me the excess moisture was due to the engine not being run but never mentioned the iron content. Had they done that I would have insisted on Cummins checking the engine before we bought it.
The rig is beautiful, powerful and a real joy to drive compared to the '02 Dutch Star we traded in but having to spend that much on repairs and not even getting it home takes some of the joy out of it!
Old 04-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We, we bought our CC 2009 Magna 45′ | Premier RV from Louie at Premiere, 2.600 miles later the engine blew up to the tune of $29,000 with Cummins picking up about $10,000 of it. Right now there's a nagging suspicion that the oil report I asked for but didn't get in time showed the impending engine failure. Over 1% water and 10 times the normal iron in the oil. Louie told me the excess moisture was due to the engine not being run but never mentioned the iron content. Had they done that I would have insisted on Cummins checking the engine before we bought it.
The rig is beautiful, powerful and a real joy to drive compared to the '02 Dutch Star we traded in but having to spend that much on repairs and not even getting it home takes some of the joy out of it!
If they did an oil analysis at your request, they should have been forthcoming with the test results....handing you the report. If it were me, I'd be talking to 'Louie.'
Old 04-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #35
laj

Mr_D, from what i am picking up, not on here, i'm thinking you are going to come out better then you think. i don't think the final decision as to your compensation has been made.
hoping you get more.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Mr_D, from what i am picking up, not on here, i'm thinking you are going to come out better then you think. i don't think the final decision as to your compensation has been made.
hoping you get more.
Then you have more info that I have! My sources at Cummins say that's all there is. I already had to close out an IRA that went up 60% in two years and pay a $1,200 penalty just to pay the $19,000 that we will owe when Cummins gets through.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #37

I bought a 2005 Travel Supreme in 2011 and have put about 40k miles on it. The 500 Cummins with Allison 4000 is an awesome combination that propels this 45 ft coach through the Rocky Mountains with ease. I think for the money these coaches are an excellent buy. I have owned new and used coaches made by Winnebago Fleetwood And Monaco since the early 70s and the TS is A Quality product that drives excellent and is very quiet on the road so don't overlook these coaches.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel supreme