Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Couple of "Flair" questions

Let me preface my questions with 2 statements:

(1) I'm a complete and total n00b when it comes to RVing and my rig. (I just got her a couple of weeks ago, and haven't gone camping yet). The PDI didn't exactly cover EVERYTHING, so now I have to resort to asking you wonderful folks here in IRV2.

(2) I was gonna post my Flair questions on the Fleetwood Owners Section, but I do believe that I'd get more traffic here, and plus, there might be a couple of former Flair owners who could assist me.

My question (see pic 1). What exactly does that 30-amp socket on the left do? I know that the box on the right that you see with the black cord is the power cord supply, and I've connected it to my house via a 30-amp female/15-amp male adaptor. I know this, because after I connected it to my house, a lot of appliances can be turned on inside the RV.

I thought that left socket was for plugging in things outside the RV (like a TV or radio, etc.), but when I plugged in my boom box, there was no sound or power. (Note: I do NOT have a multimeter to test the socket).

Could it be that it's just a place to plug in the power cord for storage ????

My other question: Where exactly is the hot water heater switch? I know where the water pump switch is (on the status bar thingie above the stove), but cannot find the HW heater switch until I entered my bathroom (see pic 2 (that switch on the left) and pic 3 (a better close-up)). Is this it? I do NOT want to turn it on and find out, because I drained my HW heater tank and do not want to risk destroying the heating element.

Again, thanks a million for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flair6.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	9576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flair7.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	9577  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flair8.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	553.3 KB
ID:	9578  

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I believe the 30 amp plug comes from your generator. When you run the genny, you plug the cord into that one. My first motorhome was like this.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
I believe the 30 amp plug comes from your generator. When you run the genny, you plug the cord into that one. My first motorhome was like this.
Huh. That would make sense.

Could I test it by running the genny WITHOUT any load ?? (i.e. run it unplugged and check to see if the roof A/C would work ??)

Or even plug in my boom box while the genny is running and see if it powers up? I'm just afraid I'll ruin my radio....
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Won't hurt anything. Fire up the genny and plug a drill or a trouble-light or something into a wall socket inside the rig. (or see if the TV will go on). I would shut the genny off before plugging in the 30 amp cord...then fire it up and try again. I would not try to plug anything other than your 30 amp cord into that socket.

Reading around this website and asking questions will help a lot in learning the ins and outs of your new rig. I'm sure a fellow Flair owner will come along and help with your other question.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave
Thats it! Newer models come with an autotransfer switch that does the changeover for you. On your model that box is the only way you will get power in the rig from the genset. The water heater switch is something I don't know as I have a Pace Arrow. Do you have a dual heating model? Propane and electric or just propane? If you have the dual unit don't turn it on unless there's water in the tank. If you have propane only you could turn it on just long enough to hear the burner fire then shut it down, still better to have water in it though. Lastly it could be another switch for your water pump, my rig has 3 switches for the water pump, one in the outside shower, one over the stove and one in the bathroom.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #6

Your question to the plug has been answered. As to the switch, mine is located on the cabnet by the kitchen sink. If you don't have one there have someone turn the switch on while you are standing next to the exterior panel of your water heater. If you hear a clinking noise that is the auto pilot trying to light it. If that doesn't work try googling your brand of water heater (either a suburban or atwood) and you should be able to obtain an online manual to discribe the working order.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the 30 amp outlet I agree it is most likely what I call a "poor man's transfer switch" that is you fire up the generator, and plug the trailer into that outlet. Since it's a TT-30.. That's what plugs in, the whole trailer.

Would it hurt to use an adapter (TT-30 to standard 15 amp) and plug in a lamp or drill or Kill-a-watt.. No, in fact plugging in a Kill-a-watt is a very GOOD idea, make sure the generator is properly regulated.

NOTE: the Kill-a-watt is several hundred worth of meters in a less than 30 dollar box.. I recommend it.

Now, the switch.. No label means no idea.. but water pump comes to mind considering where it's parked.