Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #1

Couple of Newb questions

I have a Rhino dump hose. I also have the clear connection to make sure the tank is running clear. My Rhino is maybe 15' long. I was parked at a few campsites where it would not reach. Do most of you carry another hose with an attachment for these occasions. The biggest problem is the extra room needed for storing. I have a large PVC tube the previous owner installed inside the far back baggage door on drivers side. It will not however accommodate two 15 footers.

Also do most of you carry the sewer hose support? Are they very useful? I see a lot of campers using them. The previous owner left me some bamboo looking half shells that I have used and seemed to work. Is the idea to give the hose some extra support and make the height equal to the sewage hole so nothing needs to travel uphill? If needed can you recommend a good one? i would rather spend a little more for something decent if it matters.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #2

Rhino markets a 10' extension, it's very compact, maybe that would be the thing to carry.
I support the sewer hose for proper draining, and some parks require that hoses are supported and fully drained after each use; saves the hose being kicked and disconnected with STUFF still in it.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #3

we've put 22k miles on our DP, over 13 months and 150+ parks.
I carry 1 main 15' sewer hose and 2 additional 10' connection hoses, used many times - every park is different and you are always prepared if the situation requires it, or your main hose 'fails'.
I often also wonder why sewer 'support' devices are used, especially by those who really travel a lot. I've never used one. The main sewer hose is quite capable of supporting the weight and flow of water and matter without any 'help'. When you dump your black, then gray, holding tanks, gravity and water 'pressure' is your friend. Whether your hose is at a downhill elevation or not is not the real concern, its the weight of the water while exiting the tanks that will drive it thru the hose. You may on occasion have an 'uphill' slant, or a 'higher than should be' sewer outlet, and therefore afte you dump the tanks you may need to then start near the rv and pick up the hose to allow the 'gravity' to help whats left in the hose.
I also dont use a sewer hose support for another reason: the 's trap' effect. If water is allowed to remain in your hose, then sewer gasses are not allowed to enter your rv, especially if you are one of those under the belief that its ok to leave either, or both, of your tanks 'always open'.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I use a sewer hose support primarily to avoid holes in the hose. When you dump, there is lots of water pressure and the hose will wiggle and flex. If you are on gravel, easy to get a pin hole. I think the hoses today are much better than the thin blue ones we used years ago, but the old thin blue ones would develop pin holes and leak. Use to have to replace them every year or so.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:44 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I got rid of our Rhino and went with a Viper. I like it a lot better. It is very flexible and stores easier. Can step on it and it will spring back in shape unlike a Rhino hose. I know! I sometimes use the hose support, depends on what the slope is. Never keep your black tank open. We don't leave our gray open either. Very easy just to go out and take 2-3 minutes to dump the gray tank every day or so. Then when your black is 3/4 full or a bit more, don't dump the gray until you are ready to dump the black.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I got rid of our Rhino and went with a Viper. I like it a lot better. It is very flexible and stores easier. Can step on it and it will spring back in shape unlike a Rhino hose. I know! I sometimes use the hose support, depends on what the slope is. Never keep your black tank open. We don't leave our gray open either. Very easy just to go out and take 2-3 minutes to dump the gray tank every day or so. Then when your black is 3/4 full or a bit more, don't dump the gray until you are ready to dump the black.
Thanks. I'll check out the Viper. Anybody want to buy a nearly new Rhino? I promise my Rhino barely stinks!!
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

Interesting comment on the grey tank. If you have a splendide washer/dryer combo, it specifically states to open the grey tank and leave open when going through the wash cycle. Something to do with possible suds filling the grey tank. . . . otherwise, I too always keep the grey tank closed.

To the OP's original question, if you have a front end generator compartment, the previous owner of our 2001 Newmar Dutch Star placed brackets in the front compartment that held three gutter extensions (about 3.5' long each) as well as a large PVC tube with threaded ends and air holes drilled into for ventilation that held an extra 15' sewer hose out of the way, but accessible.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have stayed at a number of campgrounds that require that your sewer hose be supported off the ground.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sewer hookup variety pack!

Hello Noserider
As many have indicated sewer hookups are usually not a one size fits all so you will ad to your collection of extra hoses and fittings along the way. I have a 5 footer I run from the dump valve to my clear tube which then connects to my Rhino hose. I like the Rhino due to its ability to compress or expand as needed. This setup works 50% of the time. Had to buy an extra 10 footer to make connections at a packed RV show in Tampa in January. I have accumulated some "Donuts" along the way for older parks that wont use your Rhino fittings. I have a "Primary" set-up in the dump bay of my rig. And a bag of extra hoses and fittings in another bay for the out of the ordinary set ups. "Be Prepared" as the Boy Scouts say!! ps. I do use the hose supports!
mus289 is offline   Reply With Quote