Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #1

Couple of questions

Here's a couple of questions to pass around.

I have an '03 Winnebago Adventurer 33V. I heard it came new with 2 12volt house batteries. When plugged into shore power, the house batteries stay charged, but the engine battery does not over longer periods of time. We've been docked since November and it didn't have enough juice to start the engine when we had to move sites Jan. 1. (Happy New year) Is this the usual set up? Can it be changed to charge both house and engine batts?

Does anyone know (or know where to find) a current price on the HWH solenoids?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
a few charge the chasis battery, but obviously your dosnt. A battery tender will fix that. I think you also have a emergency start fuction which directs 12 volts from the coach to the chasis battery. should be a switch on the dash for that

Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

Typically the inverter does not charge the chassis batteries unless your MH is equiped with a BIRD, not common I believe. Most MH that do charge the chassis batteries from shore power have a trickle charger installed and connected to a 110 on the coach. There are several brand names, Battery Tender and Battery Minder are a couple.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our Dutch Stars DP's have all had a "BIRD" direct from the factory. I don't think the previous '98 Santara did.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To answer your question, yes that is normal for that model year MH. I just upgraded from that one to a 2014 35F. Now as far as fixing the issue, you do have an AUX Start switch on the dash. What you want to do is either still be on shore power or have the genie running then push and hold that switch for about a minute. Then while still holding it start the engine. By allowing it to apply some power to the chassis battery prior to starting the engine will help it maintain the engine running properly while it warms up and gets its computers online.
Now you can get a Trik-L-charge devise that is basically a voltage thief and maintains the charge on the chassis battery from the house battery when they are plugged in and the chassis battery is not being charged from the alternator.
The newer Itasca's like mine already have a circuit installed that will charge the House batteries from the Chassis and the chassis battery from the House.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCIslander View Post
Here's a couple of questions to pass around.

I have an '03 Winnebago Adventurer 33V. I heard it came new with 2 12volt house batteries. When plugged into shore power, the house batteries stay charged, but the engine battery does not over longer periods of time. We've been docked since November and it didn't have enough juice to start the engine when we had to move sites Jan. 1. (Happy New year) Is this the usual set up? Can it be changed to charge both house and engine batts?

Does anyone know (or know where to find) a current price on the HWH solenoids?
Geez, I sure hope at least 50 more people tell you exactly what I did.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In regards to your HWH question you can call Stuart's Services in Elkhart, Indiana and talk to Chuck. Their website is HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services .
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
Geez, I sure hope at least 50 more people tell you exactly what I did.
Hahahahahaha. That's how it usually goes.

My house batteries are garbage and need replacement so until I do replace them, I keep a portable jump starter in a lower compartment just in case.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #9

It wasn't until the 2004 model year that Winnebago installed the Trik-L- Charge as a standard item. Our 2001 had the same system as yours. To avoid the problem we did 2 things. The first was to install a battery shut off switch in the battery compartment for the chassis battery. This helped during storage.

Secondly we replaced the Battery Boost momentary switch with a latching switch and pilot light. When parked for long periods we could flip the boost switch on and connect the batteries to charge the chassis battery from the converter. The pilot light was to remind us the battery sets were connected. You don't want to be dry camping and find you've drained both sets of batteries. It doesn't hurt anything to keep the batteries connected if they are being charged. The solenoid has a 100% duty cycle and is automatically activated to charge both sets of batteries anytime the engine is running.

Another thing to consider is when to charge and use your 12V dc devices. Until 2004 all the 12 volt power ports were connected to the chassis battery. It's easy to run down the chassis battery when parked for long periods if you charge your cell phones, personal radios, computers, tablets, etc. from the 12 volt power points.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Another thing to consider is when to charge and use your 12V dc devices. Until 2004 all the 12 volt power ports were connected to the chassis battery. It's easy to run down the chassis battery when parked for long periods if you charge your cell phones, personal radios, computers, tablets, etc. from the 12 volt power points.
Good info. I need to go through our coach and see which 12v outlets are powered by the chassis battery.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
To answer your question, yes that is normal for that model year MH. I just upgraded from that one to a 2014 35F. Now as far as fixing the issue, you do have an AUX Start switch on the dash. What you want to do is either still be on shore power or have the genie running then push and hold that switch for about a minute. Then while still holding it start the engine. By allowing it to apply some power to the chassis battery prior to starting the engine will help it maintain the engine running properly while it warms up and gets its computers online.
Now you can get a Trik-L-charge devise that is basically a voltage thief and maintains the charge on the chassis battery from the house battery when they are plugged in and the chassis battery is not being charged from the alternator.
The newer Itasca's like mine already have a circuit installed that will charge the House batteries from the Chassis and the chassis battery from the House.
i just bought a 2014 itasca 35g and was wondering do you think that i have this battery charger built into my coach? havent even taken it anywhere yet but i was reading all about batteries dying at the cg and was worried about it. this is first coach so a lot to learn thanks
Old 02-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomash View Post
i just bought a 2014 itasca 35g and was wondering do you think that i have this battery charger built into my coach? havent even taken it anywhere yet but i was reading all about batteries dying at the cg and was worried about it. this is first coach so a lot to learn thanks
I think so, yes.

Here's how you check on a Winnie: Plug the unit in to shore power, and go to your One Place and check the battery voltages. Check the 'House' voltage and the 'Chassis' voltage. Both should be close to or in excess of 13V. If they both are, they're both getting charged by shore power. If the 'Chassis' voltage is closer to 12.5V, then most likely it is not getting charged by shore power.

Winnie introduced the Trik-L-Start into their diesel lineup in about 2006, and then into the gas chassis lineup around 2010. I'm pretty sure you have that option installed.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote