Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Cover or Don't Cover?
Cover it 31 56.36%
Don't Cover it 24 43.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #29
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New Covering Question

All comments make sense and appreciated by readers like myself.

What about starting the engine and generator while under cover?

Our unit is in an outdoor storage yard, and unfortunately not level as its in Maryland in a hilly area.

Do all of you feel it is ok, if covered, to let the home site for 3 - 4 months without starting anything? I could crank the engine as she sits, but its too unlevel for the gen set to run. I can't even check the oil level without it running out unless I drive the unit up a few hundred feed. And its good to drive it around the lot a little every 4 - 6 weeks just to keep everything lubed.

So do you guys go to the effort to uncover for some run time, or cover and walk away for months??

Take care and pray for an early spring. What with global warming and all.

John and Caren, Arkansas. 2006 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel. "Fractured Fairy tails"
johnandcaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #30
Damon Owners Club
Hey "johnandcaren" - now that's a GREAT question!! I didn't even consider that. You're right - I have also been told to run the engine and generator at least once a month for 30 minutes or so. I haven't looked at my ADCO Tyvek cover closely yet (still in the box to be honest), so I wonder if it also has a zippered area around the engine to let it run occasionally?

I'll go look at the box and let you know if there is any reference to that by the manufacturer.

I think I will cover though, given this is a winter climate and based on feedback. Remember we are also very dry out here in CO, so paint oxidation might be a concern as well.

Thx all --

Rocket728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #31
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Outdoor parking in the RV storage lot near us runs $93 per month for outdoor parking and $225 plus tax for indoor. I'm outdoor and there are no coaches with covers in the entire place. These are secured lots with high fences, cameras, gate codes, etc. I was offered some less expensive parking on a large property owned by a friend, but the whole place is overrun with rodents and I am afraid to park there after reading about problems with them. There is a full service RV storage Lot about 40 miles from us with valets to park the coaches indoors. You can imagine what that would cost. Our HOA regulation allowed 90 minutes of street parking for loading and unloading. It was just changed to 48 hours so that makes it a lot easier. Happy Travels, Joe
verdana.. where i store is simular to yours
the storage place i store my rig in sw florida..rental per month $2.50 ft outside storage ..$240 under roof...they provide high fence gate coded 24hr, camera security, water and dump, under roof washing facilities,propane, high pressure air, battery assist to help starting.....
i have only seen one outside mh covered and it was a class c
elainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #32
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rocket, if your rig is a DP, your cover likely zips at the back with velcro straps that hold it up. I know mine does.
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #33
Fleetwood Owners Club
While covered I do other things...

I cover my 35 footer with an ADCO, put a mouse trap in the unit as well as the basement, put a dish of Calcium Chloride (ice melt) on the table, double container, it expands when it aborbs moisture, and spray the jacks with silicon, not WD40. They are down during storage. Once a month, I charge the batteries (Battery Tender) check the fluids, the traps, the ice melt and just inspect. I don't start any engine. The gas has StaBil in it. It is covered in snow at the moment. PS, with the stink bug increases, I now set off one bug bomb in it just before closing up for the winter. The first time I opened I spent time vacuuming dead stink bugs.
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #34
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let me add my two cents worth again. I posted that I am a proponent for covering. When I say to add more straps, here is what I do. I go to a hardware store (or Walmarts) and purchase plastic snap on grommets with a hook on the bottom. I attach these to the bottom of the cover and tie in nylon rope across the bottom of the m/h not over the top. This tightens up the cover. The cover will move, but not too much. When I get any rubbing on the m/h it is not on the top or sides, but just under the bottom of the storage compartment panels, due to the nylon rope. The zipper is important because you want to be able to get in there frequently to look for signs of rodents:i.e.those little "droppings" that they leave to let you know they are there. When you see them, react immediately. If you want I can tell you the measure(s) that I apply. Good luck, I would never spend the money for a shed when I have a cover. (my opinion). My last cover is 7 years old and in good condition.
Joe from Ct. ( and it is snowing)
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #35
Monaco Owners Club
Over a period of 6 years I went thru 2 covers for my old coach. They were quality covers but the Sun just destroyed them in a short period of time. So I finally bit the bullet last fall, with the new coach, and plan to build a 30X60X18 building. Construction to start as soon as it drys up a bit.

Building, not including concrete pad and driveway, will run about $23,000. Purchased the building from Web Steel.
Ken, Chris & Toby (Golden Retriever)
2009 Beaver Contessa
1984 LS1 CJ7
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #36
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a cover for my old motorhome, and used it one seasion. What a pain. Hoist the heavy thing up, unroll it, then back and forth to get everything straight. It is not only frustrating, but very dangerous! Fighting with the cover is not worth it. I decided it would cost a lot less to have the motorhome repainted then what it would cost if something happened and I took the express route to ground level. After a couple of years looking at it I gave it away.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #37
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
When I get any rubbing on the m/h it is not on the top or sides, but just under the bottom of the storage compartment panels, due to the nylon rope.
Use pipe insulation cut in 1/2 and to about 6" in length and use under all the straps/rope going under the motorhome.. this'll protect from the rubbing as it turns the corner.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You'll do more damage with infrequent startings because you won't get the engine up to temp to eliminate any moisture build up. Cover it & walk away.

Our coach sits dormant from November until mid or late April. The first year it was 2+ hours away in an indoor storage place. Seasons 2-4 we covered it with an ADCO cover & now it's under an RV port we had built.

If you do cover, I like the idea of the pipe insulation to pad the straps. We used some cut up swim noodles that I got, for free, purusing the neighborhood the night before trash day.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote