Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Cover or Don't Cover?
Cover it 31 56.36%
Don't Cover it 24 43.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Cover or Not to Cover?

I bought a high quality RV cover for my 39L Damon because we winterize and generally don't use the coach for at least 4 months during the winter (we're in Colorado).

I haven't opened the box and installed it yet because I had someone tell me that the cover can actually cause damage to the paint as wind whips the cover around.

I'd like to cover it from the elements, but not at the expense of "rub" marks in the paint next spring!

Does anyone have experience with this, and what would you recommend??

Thanks!

Rocket -

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would think a high quality cover designed to fit your motorhome would be all right. A poor quality loose fitting cover that moves in the wind will leave rub marks for sure. I would be contacting the manufacturer of the cover if I was nervous about using it.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I dont think your going to find one that does'nt move / billow, some in the wind. I know mine does. But then, I dont have full body paint.

I'll hold off voting on your poll, till I pull mine off at the end of the winter !
Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I have covered my coach with full body paint for 3 winters now and no problems with rub marks.

I would be more concerned with ice and snow sitting on the roof forcing itself into every minute crack. I use a Tyvex cover that gives me some peace of mind.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback, guys. my cover is also a Tyvek, has ventilation, "super breathable" something or other, zippered access panels, etc. Cost about $450. Sounds like it covering it is the best option.

My preference until I can build yet another structure out here on my property.

However, my "poll" (cover or not to cover)is running at a dead heat......
Old 01-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
96 Wideglide, is right, if it's windy there will be some movement. We had a cover for the past 4 winters (before building an RV port this past summer) & the instructions state not to over-tighten the straps. We did have issues with rubbing & poke throughs. Mistakes we made putting it on the 1st season we corrected for following seasons & had little or no issues. You can see photos from after the 1st season here.

All that said, the cover did protect our coach from the winter weather & UV rays. It still looks brand new. Despited the hassles, it was worth it. Although, we shoulda built our RV port years ago!!

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

I have the same dilema bit with different objectives. I am contemplating a cover to protect the RV from the ravages of a Florida Summer ie, heat, wind and rain. (I need to store it there this summer). I am wondering if several extra straps around the unit to keep the cover close to the body would reduce the chances of wind rub?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our cover was longer than our coach length. The coach measured in between 2 sizes of the cover options. If I had to do it over again, I would've gotten the next size smaller. This would've given us less slack to have to deal with. Ideally, we could've gone with a custom made length, but I didn't want to spend that much money on something I wasn't sure how well it would work.

What we did the 2nd year, that we didn't do the first, was to face the coach INTO the prevailing winds for that season (in our case, west), keep the front of the cover taught & have the slack secured at the back of the coach. I also whip-stitched the patches over the holes from the first season. In the cold, the patch adhesive does not hold up well & they begin to peel off. This was a very arduous task because with every pass of the needle through the material, it picked up glue residue from the patch & I had to stop & clean off the needle with alcohol every 5 or 6 passes.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you put your RV away clean and cover it you will be very pleased when you are ready to use it. I have been using one for years on all of my m/hs. Mine has a set of zippers that allow me to get in and out of it at any time. At the end of the season I cover any "rub" marks (on the cover) inside and out with extra wide "Duct Tape". Seven years on this one. I added extra straps on the bottom to keep it snug. I have had mild rub marks on the bottom of the m/h and the next time I put some kind of padding on the straps. Make sure that the day you put it on and take it off there is no wind or you will turn it into a parachute and you will end up in the next county.
Joe in Ct.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Try to find an indoor storage facility for your coach. Even if you have to
drive a few hundred miles, it will be worth it. And it eliminates all the
concerns you have !
Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We decided to put up a steel building to protect out investment. It got put built in October and hopefully the door will be done tomorrow which is another story upon itself. Or main concern is that we can get some awful hail and don't want to take the chance.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #12

I wish I did, but I dont have a choise how I park my coach, as to how the winter winds are going to hit it .
If your property is big enough, definatly face your MH into the wind.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl
Try to find an indoor storage facility for your coach. Even if you have to
drive a few hundred miles, it will be worth it. And it eliminates all the
concerns you have !
Easier said than found! I'm thinking of building covered rental space given the lack of it with hundreds of miles of DC.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #14

It would cost me more, to build an enclosier for my MH, than I paid for the coach !!