Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

Covering Motorhome in Floor Wax

I have read all the forums I could find on the Zep's floor wax coating. I have seen more positive than negative. My only concern is most of these postings are older. I was just wondering if people still think the same on doing this or is there any regrets? Just trying to get some opinions before I start my cleanup on mine.

Thanks
craka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No problems with my coach. Scrub it down each spring, two or three fresh coats and I'm good until next year.

Before you start the journey of very difficult return do not proceed if you coach is painted. Many of the problems you'll read appear to be related to painted rigs while the gel coated or such fiberglass rigs seem to work out OK. Also I would not advise the method on a fairly new coach. Stick to traditional automotive wax. Redd Maxx or Zep's is a weapon of last resort to restore an exterior shine.

Spring cleaning my 9 year old coach. Passes a 30/30 test easily. 30 feet at 30 mph, if you can't see the flaw its not there.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

I am using a marine wax on the roof and spray Ice wax on the sides. Looked at Zep, but didn't like that there weren't any UV protection components in it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #4

That looks really great. My coach isn't painted. The front and rear caps are dull white along with the storage doors at the bottom. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #5

I've had someone tell me I should just wax the storage doors but they are more chalky than the front and rear caps.

So pretty much, wash and clean the rig with bar keepers friend and apply thin layers of Zep's until it shines?

Old 12-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had used it on our previous MH and was very happy with the results. Just beware that you must get your unit CLEAN. Any dirt, grime or stains on it will be sealed in. Other than that I loved it. The prep time can be extensive depending on how dirty it is. Use a minimum of 4 coats. It goes on fast and generally when you have completed one coat you can begin the next .... or maybe extend the time between coats by a beer.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #7

I actually used mop and glo on my 15 year old Hurricane and it looked great. Easy to put on. It will need a refresh from time to time but so does waxing. If your gel coat is weathered then it's a good thing. If gel coat is in good shape perhaps not the thing to do.

I coated just about everything except the roof. End caps, sides, doors, window trim.

I then use a spray on wipe off uv protectant to increase the shine and of course to provide uv protection.

I just sold the unit and ordered a new Newmar.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by craka View Post
So pretty much, wash and clean the rig with bar keepers friend and apply thin layers of Zep's until it shines?
Pretty much that's about it. Very light coats from a damp micro fiber towel. Watch for runs which will dry as a run just like a paint run. I use a pie pan to dab the towel in and not a new micro fiber towel. The color dye in a new towel can run and transfer to the wax. Also wear gloves unless you want figure nail shine you wife will love.

First couple of coat will really look bad as the wax fills all the micro cracks in the surface. Coat four or five will pop. The wax will slightly darken the surface so you might have to do the entire coach rather than just the lower quarter. Don't worry about decals the wax won't hurt them. You can also wax the window frames. It will also help clear a fogged head light by filling in the micro scratches that causing the fogging.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #9

Just wondering, but what is the advantage of Zep's over a single coat of good wax with UV protection??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
In respect to an older, faded motor home, the difference is astonishing. While the prep work is labor intensive, the end product is well worth it. Zep versus hand waxing is a hands down win for Zep.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An older rig with a worn dull gel coat is way beyond using anything with UV protection. With a lot, and I mean a lot of elbow grease you can get a shine back but it's life might be a month or two. Other options include getting aggressive with clays, heavy cutting products and such that need an educated hand to properly work. Get it wrong and what finish might have been there could be severely damaged. The other option is paint but you're looking at cost that could be 1/2 or more what the coach might be worth.

For the listed reasons I do not recommend using the product on newer or painted rigs. Best to first try and work with what you have rather than going this route. Once applied the multiple layers of wax are very difficult and labor intensive to get off.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Just wondering, but what is the advantage of Zep's over a single coat of good wax with UV protection??
Zep or what I used (mop and glo) are acrylic's and not wax. So you are basically painting your RV with several coats of liquid plastic (Someone may object to this simplistic view). This plastic fills in all the pits and scratches caused by the UV damage resulting in the dull finish in the fiberglass which is why it takes several coats to start looking good.

It is not a good idea to use on new RV's, or those where the unit still maintains a good shine with just a normal wax or detailing product.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
I have read all the forums I could find on the Zep's floor wax coating. I have seen more positive than negative. My only concern is most of these postings are older. I was just wondering if people still think the same on doing this or is there any regrets? Just trying to get some opinions before I start my cleanup on mine.

Thanks
I put it on my 1998 Tradewinds last March 2015 have not used soap on it yet just wash it off with water. Most people do not believe that its a 1998. I washed it with bartenders friend first then put 3 coats of Zep's sealant and 4 coats of Zep's wet look floor wax. Took 3 days.
Alphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #14

Floor waxing

Quote:

Thanks
I have a 99 Thor Residency and applied the floor waxing and followed directions and applied 4 coats. So far all good...4 months. I was little nervous at first but now would recommend. Not to newer coach tho...
swagn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome