Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #1

cracked exhausted manifolds

We have a 97 holiday rambler with a f35 engine. telling us it is going to cost minimum $1600. They just repaired the same problem, same engine on another class A and it was 27 hours worth of labor.
Any help out there in our RV world? We could get 3 quotes but that means driving and the engine cannot drive long periods.
I trust this shop but we have already sunk $4000.
thanks
kamafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I'm guessing you mean an "F 53" which is a chassis /truck I.D., not an engine. In 1997 the F 53 usually had a 460 ci (7.5 L) V8 installed. They have had issues with leaking and cracked exhaust manifolds. Rather than install another set of cast iron manifolds, I'd suggest looking at alternative 'headers' made of bent tubes instead of cast headers.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
If indeed the engine is a 460, be assured they are notorious for header leaks. Bflinn is right, find a header shop and get a quote on the installation. You may find broken bolts holding the header(s) on. PIA to remove, and under the coach I am sure an expensive one.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

Heres a good post on headers
'95 F53 Class A M'home Header Advice Needed - 460 Ford Forum
Old 09-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
KC

My last RV was on a W22 and had a GM 8.1. The new exhaust manifold was going to be over 3k:(

KC
Old 09-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

Replaced my exhaust manifold on a ford 460 on my 94 Southwind by removing the front tires left the whole manifold in the open piece of cake
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had to replace both my manifolds on the 1997 Class C I had, the first one was under warranty, took them 13 weeks because they had to wait on parts because the manifold cracking was a huge problem. The second one I did myself, bought an aftermarket manifold. Took me about 6 hours to do it, can't see a 27 hour job and since they are only quoting $1600 something doesn't sound right.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #8

While your at it might want to install a banks power kit.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #9

Always laugh at the people who think this is an easy job. If you are the lucky one in a million and have a MH that you can actually get access to the bolts and none of them are seized then it may seem like everyone should be the same. Once one bolt breaks its all down hill from there. Just read a post where a guy said it would be a piece of cake to drill out the broken bolts, guess what a couple of miss drilled holes later and he had to buy new heads. I would say it's time to seriously think about how much you want to sink into a 10-15k unit. For me the 4k you've already spent would be enough. Sometimes you just have to move on.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our mechanic charged us $1100 for a new manifold on our 1997 Winnebago Adventurer ... Same engine. It took a long time because they had to order the part and the first one came out of the box cracked in two.

The need for the new manifold occurred a week after we had to replace the fuel pump for over $1400 and about a month after the heater core which was $1100. Then there was the burst radiator hose, that was only $80! Multiple smaller things too numerous to remember and now all seems to be well on this coach that we have owned just over a year. Goes to show that low mileage means nothing as ours had only 22,000!

Now that we have everything working like a charm again, we have decided it is time to upgrade to a newer Class A DP. It has certainly be educational.
ahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Always laugh at the people who think this is an easy job. If you are the lucky one in a million and have a MH that you can actually get access to the bolts and none of them are seized then it may seem like everyone should be the same. Once one bolt breaks its all down hill from there. Just read a post where a guy said it would be a piece of cake to drill out the broken bolts, guess what a couple of miss drilled holes later and he had to buy new heads. I would say it's time to seriously think about how much you want to sink into a 10-15k unit. For me the 4k you've already spent would be enough. Sometimes you just have to move on.
On my 8.1 the first time the exhaust manifolds went they drilled through the head and had to replace it. That was under warranty.

Second time was on me and they had to replace the manifold, a ton of time was spent drilling out the bolts. $2,000.

I'm going with headers the next time.

So....I think 89sandman has a good point.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #12

thank you

Hello Thank you for all for the quick response. I had my Mister read the replies and now we have some options.
Quick history of me......I got divorced (it was a good thing) and I went out and bought a 1989 Allegro class A grabbed my girls along with my sister and away we go. updated to a 1995 Allegro bay. We had plenty of issues so many that my license said "SS Minno". Then got to the point of my girls were not going camping with their mother. so grabbed a TT for the past 5 years. Guess who wants to go camping now? Yes my offspring!
Picked up this class A and we feel like we have hit the lottery!
BFlinn you were the first to reply and I had to look twice.
My mother called my father B and our last name is Flynn. It is so nice to have this website. If any one comes to southern Maine give me a shout.
I will keep everybody up to date. Thank you all again!!!!
kamafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #13

So Kamafly, this post was very interesting to me. This last weekend we took a trip to L.A. County fair. It's only two and a half hours away. However we got stuck in traffic for 2 hrs and it was 100 degree day. The exhaust super heated and I assume the 02 sensor to the point where it shut down the fuel injection. We had to pull over and let it cool. All was fine after 30 minutes. After reading your post I realized these MH's can't get the heat out while sitting and I think this is the reason for all the cracked exhaust manifolds. Our MH only has 17,000 mi on it and so far the exhaust is ok. However I will now buy exhaust heat wrap and do the entire exhaust pipe to keep this from happening. Or hope anyway.. Thanks for posting..
Old 09-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #14

Exhaust heat wrap will Keep in the heat and not let it cool.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote