Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I have Blue Sky Insurance with a $1,000 deductible. I questioned the salesman about the windshield and his response was that we repair all the time and replace only when necessary. I have a 17 night trip scheduled in 9 days. I have another one for 9 nights in July. If possible I will wait until these two trips and then check with Blue Sky. I don't even have my policy in hand yet to ready everything.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #16

Had one of the the windshields replaced on our Winnebago Journey a few months ago. Total bill: $1,480.00. Deductible (Mercury Ins.) $100.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Glass claims are considered "no-fault" claims and should not increase your rates. By law, some states have to automatically cover glass. FL is one of them. Don't know if they charge you for the coverage or it is included in the policy cost.

I filed a glass claim about a month after switching to Allstate. Agent gasp when I said I had to file a claim, but sighed with relief when I said it was glass. ???
I live in FL and last year a gravel truck put two stars in my driver side windsheild. I had no idea until I called Hartford that FL was a no deductible state on windsheilds. They gave me the decision repair or replace, I chose repair, was not real comfy with pulling the glass out of a 1996 MH. Could be a can of worms. Hartford said if the repair failed or was not satisfactory in the future they would replace it. No cost to me no increase in this years premium.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #18

When I had a crack in one side, my insurance company talked me into replacing the chipped other one and the seal.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #19

Sure fire way to prevent windshield cracks.

For the first 6 years we had our Winnebago we had to replace one or both windshields every year! Then Jim found the solution. He bought a rider on our insurance (Progressive) for $10/month. In the past 3 1/2 years we have not had as much as a ding!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
As was recently posted, in fl we don't have to pay for windshield specific insurance. The first one is on the ins. company. I recently had my driver side glass replaced by gaurdian glass, through state farm, at no cost to me. (imagine that). The tech told me that his fee was $800 for labor (mobil service) and that the glass was probably that much or more. And i thought boating was a wallet whomper. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by szy View Post
...Some places have a system where they drill to stop the crack and fill with resin ....
A good windshield guy can do this...I just had it done for $95.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I plan on giving Safelite a call on Monday. I also marked the end of the crack just to see if it has advanced anymore. In the past 24 hours it has not.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #23
doc

Appalachian Campers
we had a rock hit the windshield on passenger side and leave a quarter size star. I wanted to replace it, but got worried that the seal on edges would be compromised and asked the insurance company to just seal it. I knew they have no method of handling a piece of glass that size and weight in those vans they drive. Bad choice - maybe but no leaks either
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #24

My 2010 Ford F350 had a crack in the windshield from a rock hit and was replaced by Safelite; shortly after that I had another rock create a star crack on the new windshield which was repaired by Safelite. I have had several rock hits on older vehicles that seemed harder than these two that did not crack. I asked the Safelite technician why the newer windshields crack so easy, his explanation was the EPA made the glass companies use less lead in the glass which makes the glass weaker. If that's the case it sounds like they have created a booming industry in the glass repair and replacement business.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by szy View Post
I can't even get insurance for the windshield
I've never heard of that.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #26

I always have windshields or side glass replaced with insurance. Didn't have any deductible and it didn't and didn't cost me a penny.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #27

agree with dunner progressive said no fault my right side was $1570 my deductible was $250
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #28

Had a similar crack only in the upper portion of my windshield. Since it wasn't in my line of sight, put super glue on the whole thing and it lasted three and a half years before spreading. By then I changed to Florida ins. and there was no deductible.