Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #1

Cracked windshield

Is a 6 " crack in the corner of my windshield bad enough to replace.
2000 stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Check with your insurance company to see if they replace windshields for free. We found out that ours will do ours for free.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

In NY if you have a 6" crack coming into the 'vision' line of the windshield, it won't pass New York State Inspection.

An easy definition of your vision line, is if it encroaches into your wiper line.

I'd recommend getting it replaced.

P.S. Cracks. won't stop moving. They will increase in size.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #4

Nothing catastrophic is going to happen with a 6 inch crack. If the crack ends in the middle of the glass, there is a good chance it will get longer. If one end of crack is at the edge and the other end in the middle some techs have the knowledge/skills to repair the crack and save the windshield. If the both ends of crack end at the edge of the glass (edge to edge) it can not be repaired correctly. I only tell you this as some folks value keeping the integrity of a factory seal on their windshield vs. replacement. Many insurance policies only pay for repairs that can be covered with a dollar bill. Many policies pay for replacement although sometimes there is a deductible in that case. Note........ I used to own a windshield repair business.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #5

Just had ours replaced. No ws ins. Shopped around online and phone, saved $700!

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 stormer View Post
Is a 6 " crack in the corner of my windshield bad enough to replace.
If the crack is out of the way and in a corner you can do like I did a while back and stop by one of those chip repair guys and he drilled the end of the crack to stop it from spreading and used the adhesive they fill the crack with and it has not spread in over a year
And it only cost 50.00
Old 03-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytripper63 View Post
If the crack is out of the way and in a corner you can do like I did a while back and stop by one of those chip repair guys and he drilled the end of the crack to stop it from spreading and used the adhesive they fill the crack with and it has not spread in over a year
And it only cost 50.00
I did the same thing...don't jump in a replace it until you let somebody that knows what they are doing take a look at it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

i had a crack in the lower corner from a rock chip that grew fairly rapidly.
the ins co asked if the crack could be covered by a dollar bill.
it was too big for that , so they said it needed to be replaced.
no charge by my ins.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

I recently had my windshield replaced. Chip grew to a 10" crack to edge of glass. Chip repair outfit said not repairable. Thank goodness for glass coverage on Ins. policy. Ended up costing almost $3K for new glass and new gasket. Very happy with the work and not a penny out of pocket. Glass coverage on insurance policy really didn't add much to the premium.

I made sure I went with an outfit with training and experience at doing RV windshields. Don't go with who your insurance will suggest. You don't have to. They are usually the cheapest and the work usually will reflect that. JMO.