Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

Cracked windshield

1000 miles from home and just received a rock in the single windshield resulting in dual cracks about 4 feet long covering about 2/3 of the height of the windshield on the passenger side. Checking for local service/availability in the morning but suspecting there's no windshield for our 17 Dutch Star nearby. Any experience with driving in with a similar crack and if windshields are good in holding up while driving. Thanks in advance.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your windshield should be available, but you'll probably either need to wait until you get home or find a place where you plan to stop for a few days that's in a large enough city to have an RV glass repair shop. If you get it repaired, you'll need to let it sit for at least a day before driving it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I drove well over 1000 miles since mine cracked for the same reason as yours. Very little advancement of the original crack over that time. As long as your vision isn't impaired, you should be fine.

Mine is at RV Glass Solutions in Coburg, OR as I type this finishing up on the cure period. Picking it up in the morning.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
You should be fine getting home. Just had mine replaced this week. Drove all the way from Denver to Phoenix with two long cracks in the windshield. Ran the entire height of the glass. Never felt unsafe though.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:25 PM   #5

I cracked mine pretty bad in Alaska, then waited until I got to Montana to get a replacement. It was shattered pretty badly, so I took a roll of HD clear package wrap clear tape, taped it up pretty well on the inside and outside. It held pretty well until we got it replaced.

Be SURE and give it one or two days to cure after you get it replaced. The window place didn't say anything about that, but luckily we were there for a number of days after it was replaced.

Good luck and be blessed!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 PM   #6

Ours has been cracked for a while. It spread from the top, down, and then to the center post. It's been passing the annual Texas inspection for years now.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
FMCA has a program with Guardian Glass. They may be able to help you. I have not used this program, but you may be able to save some $$$.

https://www.fmca.com/benefits/guardian-glass.html
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #8

Just picked mine up from RV Glass Solutions in Coburg Oregon this morning. Windshield looks so much better without that crack going down the center and the quarter sized star burst on the passenger side

Highly recommend RV Glass Solutions if you're anywhere near the area. Rather than doing a replacement outside and hoping for the best results, they do the entire job sitting inside a climate controlled indoor space during the entire process, including cure time. Although I had to drive 150 miles to get to them, the local glass company would have done it outside in a parking lot -- no idea what they would have done to ensure a good seal and cure.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
Old 06-30-2017, 01:40 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a side note.....I'm sure many states have a similar law to California....which states that your windshield must be replaced immediately if you are stopped and ticketed. I'm guessing that its very UNLIKELY that you will be stopped, but I don't think it's prudent to drive a coach unnecessarily with a crack(s) as large as you say you have.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Just a side note.....I'm sure many states have a similar law to California....which states that your windshield must be replaced immediately if you are stopped and ticketed. I'm guessing that its very UNLIKELY that you will be stopped, but I don't think it's prudent to drive a coach unnecessarily with a crack(s) as large as you say you have.
I can't speak for any state's specific laws, but in many states the location of the crack is important. Obviously, it the crack obstructs the driver's view, it is more likely that you'll have an issue that requires immediate attention. In my case, it was in the center of the windshield and had no effect on my view.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Don't know about the immediate replacement part but the law does say that if the damaged windshield affects the vision of the driver, it must be replaced.

So.....I have a pax side that has a crack about half way down it and it has been that way for over 2,000 miles. I'll get it replaced after I return form the Indy FMCA convention. or possible get it replaced there. I am down to a zero deductible so it doesn't matter
Old 06-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #12

Thanks all. Made it home with no issues.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote