Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I've had no problems using my DP's onboard air compressor keeping my tires at 105 psi.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #16

Just a question on the inflator vs compressor thing. Am I safe to assume the compressor is fine if I want to take my RV tires from 85 to 92 lbs, for example, but would be no use if they were down to 20 lbs? I like the idea of having something to top up my tires to the right pressure that is smaller and lighter than a full on compressor.
Ropetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I just checked Harbor Freight and they have a compact 12 volt model that goes to 150lbs and has very good reviews by people that have bought one for $60.00.
The China Freight compressor is low volume\high pressure. It will take a very long time to inflate a 22.5" RV tire if it doesn't cook itself in the process. OK for lower pressure\smaller tires.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sears still sells it under the Porter Cable name which was probably the builder of it in the first place. I have one...it's great. One of the few that can fill a 22.5 tire. I timed it once, it takes about 11-13 seconds to put a pound in a 22.5 tire. Not bad for topping off.

Sears.com
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #19
Community Moderator

recommend lowes' kobalt 155 psi, 3 gallon 120v compressor. about 40lbs. get the job done in no time.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
recommend lowes' kobalt 155 psi, 3 gallon 120v compressor. about 40lbs. get the job done in no time.
I have the Kobalt 155 psi and it works great!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetin View Post
Just a question on the inflator vs compressor thing. Am I safe to assume the compressor is fine if I want to take my RV tires from 85 to 92 lbs, for example, but would be no use if they were down to 20 lbs? I like the idea of having something to top up my tires to the right pressure that is smaller and lighter than a full on compressor.
You should have no problem inflating a 22.5 from 20psi up to what you are using for working air pressure with an inflator as long as you are patient.

Another thing to consider, are you buying an inflator or portable compressor for emergency situations, or for daily use when out at camp?

I keep a portable compressor in our coach that is capable of airing up the coaches system in case of need. You can do this with an inflator also as long as it's rated for long term use similar to pump duty cycle time.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
We also got the Porter Cable. Also purchased a lock on straight air chuck (this one CTA Tools 1930 Straight Lock-On Air Chuck). I set the air pressure regulator on the compressor, use the lock on chuck - easy peasy. Also very handy for blowing the water lines out for winterizing - set he pressure regulator to 35 PSI and begin the job.

Please note however, you'll need to work with the auto regulator 90 PSI isn't a true inflation to 90 PSI.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry guys, I didn't think anyone would be inflating a 22.5" tire from being totally flat out on the road but were looking for something to "top off" a tire that was just slightly low on pressure. I assumed that if you have a "flat" tire you are going to change it and if it's a 22.5" that you're going to pay someone to help. But now that I understand the situation I can see where you would want something to bring along that would have a big enough tank on it to fill a tire quickly without delay. The "Porter Cable" compressor seems to be the compressor people like, and that brand is widely available at various outlets.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
We picked up a nail while driving. The TPMS warned us of the issue. We were close to town so managed to get to a Walmart parking lot. Tire store was just across the street but closed for the day.

By the next morning the tire was quite low. Used the pancake compressor to pump it back up and then drove across to the tire store. Took about 10 minutes to bring the tire up.

Glad for the TPMS and the compressor. Tire repair was $47.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #25

I use the Kobalt 3 gal compressor also, I think I paid about $150 for it. Works great!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have had the Sears/Porter Cable 150 PSI compressor for nearly 3 years and have had great performance from it. Inflating our front tires up to 110-115 PSI takes a bit more time but that should be expected.

I like portable compressors over the coach compressor because I prefer the control and higher pressure it has over the coach's compressor system. I do carry a 50' compressor hose in case I need to use my coach's compressor but haven't used it yet.

I'm a tad concerned about inflators performance but I like the compact size. The RVGEEKS put out a video with an inflator they have reviewed. Currently, assuming it works as reviewed/advertised, my only beef with it is that it uses 12V. Getting to all tires on a long coach with the relatively short power leads would require a long hose.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:10 AM   #27

Frm Sky Boss,
"I'm a tad concerned about inflators performance but I like the compact size. The RVGEEKS put out a video with an inflator they have reviewed. Currently, assuming it works as reviewed/advertised, my only beef with it is that it uses 12V. Getting to all tires on a long coach with the relatively short power leads would require a long hose."

I'm about ready to install a kit made for plumbing an air system in a garage on the coach. I'll still carry a portable compressor for emergency use, but for the tires, i'll use onboard air with an equalizer hose.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor