Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #1

Craig's list find of the day

Located in northern NY. ( as you can tell by the snow)

1997 31ft daybreak motorhomes

Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It may appear to be a good deal but rubber seals and stuff have a tendency to dry out over the 20 years old it is now.I've done that with older motorhomes. Belts, hoses etc. Had one and didn't trust it at that age. Went with almost new.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #3

It has done very little running in 19 years (unless the odometer does not have a 6th digit). Parts do tend to gum up and disintegrate by sitting for that much time, particularly with the range of temperatures. Snow and ice on the roof all those years may bear closer inspection.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Located in northern NY. ( as you can tell by the snow)

1997 31ft daybreak motorhomes

Lynn
Lynn,
While it is a bit aged, and, quite possibly have some issues with certain areas, components etc., if you're handy and are willing to take on a "Challenge", it quite possibly could be a GREAT deal for you, (or anyone else for that matter). People have tendency to RUN from coaches that have age but, no miles. Big deal. Why do you think that low miles on many of the older cars, as in '60s through the '70s is such a great thing? It's because the general thought is, THEY'RE NOT WORN OUT!!!

So, on a motor home, with low mileage, it means the same thing. Motor homes are just bigger than cars so, there's more components to age OR wear out. With the way it appears in the picture(s), a little cleanup and TLC in proper areas, you more than likely can have a great little coach.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

I bought a 1997 Damon Intruder with 13,000 miles on it and 40 hrs on the Gen.I had an issue with the furnace and the hotwater tank circut boards but all is well now,we are very happy.Like Fireup said everyone wants a low mileage car (i have a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere with 65,000 miles on it what is the difference)Anyway good luck with your purchase
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

Looks good, until further inspection.
Yes like some other posters look at others, There are always good deals out there till you go and look at it. Expect to invest in some money for maintenance and items that may need fixing. If you or someone with you is handy is a big PLUS.
Good luck.
WillsDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #7

Remember that the cost of the repairs/upgrades needs to be added to the purchase price. If it costs $20,000 to repair and upgrade that coach, then the true cost is more like $28,000. For that money you can buy a pretty nice coach. On the other hand, if you are able to do most of the work yourself AND you want something that is uniquely you such a find may be just what you want. Just remember that you won't recover your investment.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #8

Check for rust and don't dismiss it as "surface rust". I am very relieved that the dealer turned down my offer on an older northern coach. Now that I have some experience, I see what a headache and money pit it could have been.

There is a great YouTube video by a guy who starts a project to replace some rusted components and ends up rebuilding the basement.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Just how willing are u to take on a challenge??? There will be issues - how many and how serious? No way to know until u get into it....

Also - I'm not sure how much MH you can get for $28K (without additional work on it as well)

I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:33 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Great Buy

Could be a nice starter coach for someone.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:41 AM   #11

Ours is a 96 Bounder that we bought in October 2014. We live just south of St. Louis. We've put over 5000 miles on it since . The only expensive repair we've had to make is a fuel pump replacement . We also swapped the manifold for headers, not really a repair, but it needed a boost in power.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
Could be a nice starter coach for someone.
That was my first thought when I ran across the ad. Not everyone has $100,000 laying around to buy a camper or even $28,000.
It might need a few little things but anyone would expect that. The low mileage would be a plus for me. I would sooner take a chance on a vehicle with 22K on the clock than one with 100K. At least you would know it wasn't run more than 22K miles without an oil change.
Lynn
Old 01-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Class C RV's tend to be real cheap at the 10 year old mark. Everyone's disposable income is vastly different. So if you can get a rolling RV under $10k , with 20k miles where it allows you to camp in nature. Great !!

We tent camped for almost 15 years before we bought a pop-up, now on our second hybrid...but looking next (in the tire kicking phase) for a true 4-season RV trailer like a Arctic Fox.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #14

We have a '99 34 foot DayBreak we purchased three years ago. A great deal on a coach that we enjoyed upgrading. I think it's more a matter of knowing who had the coach previously. I purchased ours from a dealer who took it on a trade from a guy who I contacted. We enjoyed it tremendously while performing numerous upgrades while driving it 25,000 miles. It's not a crapshoot if it's an informed purchase. I should point-out that it was more reliable then the unit we have now. I'm buying the THIRD Dometic a/c unit tomorrow...no warranty. $1500.

Paying for upgrades is a pleasure compared to repairs/replacements.

Our DayBreak is garaged in Anderson, SC. looking for a new driver.