Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #15

I have a friend of mine who tried the old tooth paste trick on his Accura TL's headlights. I couldn't believe the difference. Forget those "as seen on TV" kits. Plain old crest whitens teeth AND clears up foggy headlight lenses.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
You can also sand and clear coat the headlight lens. The clear coat will add UV protection. Just be sure to sand all yellow away.

Diffidently double check voltage. Adding a new relay to get the full output is easy.
hes not complaining about yellowing lenses
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
A known issue for me is that the lenses are a bit cloudy but I cannot believe that is the only problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
hes not complaining about yellowing lenses
Also take note of the lens in the picture. Good headlights need clear lens.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #18

It certainly wouldn't hurt to spend 10 minutes and a couple cents to see if there's an improvement rather than tearing apart the rig and spending $$$ on brighter bulbs.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #19

Hey Doc, you trying to make my head explode? I never evolved past the "angle of the dangle" theory but I understand your point. However I have attended too many company sponsored social club bus trips to pass off my situation as an angularity issue. My observation on these trips is that your average Greyhound bus can burn the small hairs off the neck of the guy in front of them with their headlights. It's a lumens issue in my estimation.
I like your thoughts regarding the relay and not sending lighting voltage via the dash mounted switch. I converted my old Corvette so that relays controlled the voltage for both the high and low beam instead of running the power through the switch. The difference in the headlights after the mod was remarkable.
I do appreciate your advice and value your input.

Gary, you are absolutely right. Wiring in most RVs that I have inspected is less than desirable. However, I can't believe that this lousy lighting issue has persisted since the rig was new. Meaning if the wiring was inadequate at birth then I'm sure the new owner would have screamed bloody murder. It is not drivable in its current state. Who would pay diesel pusher money for a new rig and accept the inability to drive at night?

I'll work the issue and report back. You guys are the best and have given me much food for thought.

60Vette
60Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
60Vette,

I installed HID's earlier this year and am happy with the results. Here is the forum discussion that prompted my decision.

The only problem I ran into were my DRL's. I had to disable them to get the HID's to work properly. If you don't have DRL's then it's a non issue.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #21

Check out the Hella 550 lights. These "fog" lamps are available with clear or yellow lens. They are really great aux lights to suppliment your low beams, and they don't blind oncoming drivers. Been using them on my P/U for years. I use the clear lens and they really light up the edges of the road. We have alot of deer in my area and these lights are really a lifesaver. Here are some links:

http://www.autobarn.net/hel500higper1.html

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/ligh...-fog-lamps.cfm
Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
60Vette,

I installed HID's earlier this year and am happy with the results. Here is the forum discussion that prompted my decision.

The only problem I ran into were my DRL's. I had to disable them to get the HID's to work properly. If you don't have DRL's then it's a non issue.

Craig
DRL?
60Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #23

DRL= Daytime Running Lamp