Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
Well I just learned something new about the two pumps. Thanks for the info!

2017 Forest River Sunseeker MBS 2400w
2000 Monaco La Palma, F53 V10
2011 Ford Escape
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
We've been using a PenFed card for sometime now. Getting 5% back on every purchase of diesel or gas at the pump at any station. Automatically deducted off the monthly bill.

Jim and Carol
2005 Monaco Windsor
2010 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #17
Ditto on the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card. I stop there all the time and have never gone inside for anything. Swipe the card and pump the fuel. Done.

Rich & Linda
'06 Mandalay 40E
Freightliner XC-R chassis
Cummins 400 HP ISL
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
We did have an INTERESTING stop at a Pilot in IN back a few years. We were coming back from my 50th class reunion in 2012 and stopped in IN to gas up. We finished filling and could not make the turn in the gas area so I pulled into the diesel truck area. We entered through the appropriate arrowed lane and carefully swung around the front of a rig (about 15-20 feet in front) and a VOLVO dump truck barreling through the lot smashed into the side of the TT and totaled it. The TT was on it's maiden voyage and had less than 1,000 miles on it.

Nobody in the truck nor my F-150 were hurt. We were able to load all the TT stuff into the Ford. Within 30 days we had a new TT ordered and all the $$$ issues were settled. The dump truck driver was completely at fault.

Needless to say we always have a few comments as we pass the Pilot stations around the country.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #19
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
It's nice having dual fuel access and I haven't run into this as a result.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Once in a while you will pull in behind a trucker that has just pulled forward, so you figure he will be out of there before you are ready to pull forward. NOT. He will be the guy that saunters into the building, orders his take out meal, does a bit of impulse shopping then eventually gets in line to pay for his fuel, food, and stuff. Trust me, you will see that guy ahead of you someday.
Wow... Been there!! Memorial Day Weekend we were on the NJ Turnpike and pulled off for diesel. We got in the truck line, which was pretty busy. When the guy in front of me was done fueling up, he just left the truck at the pump and walked to the building. Since he didn't pay first, the attendant would let the female that was with him move the truck out of the way. So we had to wait.... When he came back 20 minutes later, his credit card was denied for payment, so I assume he went back to the building to make arrangements to pay or use an ATM. 20 more minutes and the lane next to me finally cleared up enough so I could move over and finally fuel up. 10 minutes later when I was done and headed out, he still wasn't back to his truck. By the time I left the rest area, I was so upset, I was ready to explode!! I still get upset just thinking about it. It was the worst gas stop experience I've ever had and was most certainly a learning experience.
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #21
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Read ALL of the fine print on the Pilot/Flying J card very closely before you use it. I believe it is NOt a credit/debit card so federal protections against card fraud does not apply. In addition we've found that limits on the card make it's use by us when we travel just about useless.

Regardless, the attitude you saw by the counter person is mot unusual at Pilot Flying J. We've experienced similar attitudes throughout the US and it appears to be slowly increasing ever since Pilot took over FJ. If you're not a trucker and part of an organization that buys thousands of gallons a month, you're dirt and are treated as such.

I agree that MUCH lower fuel prices are available at easily accessible stations throughout the US. A check of Gas Buddy and a look at Google earth will show where they are and how to get in and out of the stations with ease.

These truck stops don't want my business and I'm happy to take it elsewhere. Too bad really. The old Flying J chain had occasional problems but was still great to use. No more now.
The information you are putting out is incorrect. The card is a credit card and it does have the same fraud protection as any other credit card. I also have the pilot/flying J card and I pull up to the pump swipe my card and fill the tank up. I do not have to swipe it more than once.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Commercial Road Tax

When towing our old TT with a Diesel Dodge, I found that in some locales there is a commercial tax added at the truck lanes that is not added to the car/RV lanes.

I had picked the truck lanes because there was no wait...went in to the counter to pre-authorize (nothing was said), then went outside and filled-up. When I went back inside, the cashier was busy selling beefjerkey or something to another customer, so the shift manager helped me finalize the charge...

She looked at me and my credit card, then looked outside at the truck and TT... Then turned back to me and said "Are you a delivery driver?" I said, "Huh?! Ahhh, no." Then she replied, "It's too late now, but those pumps have an extra road tax for commercial vehicles." Doh!!! I didn't even ask what was the tax and left.

So, just something to beware.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #23
I too use the penfed card and get my 5% return right off the bill.
nukeworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #24
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by nukeworker View Post
I too use the penfed card and get my 5% return right off the bill.
I thought PenFed discontinued the 5%. They sent a notice a year or two ago saying it was ending, so I closed my account.
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2015 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #25

Very helpful info on the diesel fill-up. Have a new DP and only filled up once from the drivers side so no problem.

However, I didn't think to look around carefully to plan filling the DEF tank. Mine is on the passenger side at the back of the coach. (drivers side diesel fill is in the middle)

Are there DEF pumps on both sides? Is there a specific sequence which the pumps require or are there separate pumps/swipes for DEF?

John & Dorene with the Sleeping Dogs - Lexie, Bailey, & Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), Chloe (American Eskimo), and Ember (GSD)-2015 American Coach Revolution 42G and 2013 CRV
BernerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #26
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
I thought PenFed discontinued the 5%. They sent a notice a year or two ago saying it was ending, so I closed my account.
I use PenFed for gas and get 3% back since I don't have the other products to qualify for 5%.
MichelleOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #27
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by BernerDad View Post
Are there DEF pumps on both sides? Is there a specific sequence which the pumps require or are there separate pumps/swipes for DEF?

Normally, the DEF pump is next to the primary pump, which is on the left side. Some newer motorhomes now have the DEF tank on the left (DS) side.
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2015 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #28
When I was still trucking I ran across a few rv newbies in the fuel lanes.
I don't remember where it was but I had gone in and had the lady turn my pump on. as Im walking out this guy parked next to me was scratching his head how come is pump wont pump. Before I could tell him he has to go inside first he grabs my hose flips the handle and it turns on. (because I went and had it turned on) He gets a couple gallons before I could stop him. I had to shut the pump off because he would not listen to me. He was madder then hell I shut the pump off. I was getting mad cause he was cussing me out. I yelled YOU ARE STEALING MY FUEL! There was a heated exchange before He finally stormed off and went inside. HE gave me a bunch of dirty looks when he came back. He was in his late 60s probably and I was in my early 20s. I guess he couldn't take a butt chewing from some punk kid. LOL I will never forget it.

93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote