Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
When I was still trucking I ran across a few rv newbies in the fuel lanes.
I don't remember where it was but I had gone in and had the lady turn my pump on. as Im walking out this guy parked next to me was scratching his head how come is pump wont pump. Before I could tell him he has to go inside first he grabs my hose flips the handle and it turns on. (because I went and had it turned on) He gets a couple gallons before I could stop him. I had to shut the pump off because he would not listen to me. He was madder then hell I shut the pump off. I was getting mad cause he was cussing me out. I yelled YOU ARE STEALING MY FUEL! There was a heated exchange before He finally stormed off and went inside. HE gave me a bunch of dirty looks when he came back. He was in his late 60s probably and I was in my early 20s. I guess he couldn't take a butt chewing from some punk kid. LOL I will never forget it.
I've been there. Young 20 something kid knowing more than old folks. You try to be polite, but they just won't hear it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #30

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
PenFed did make noises about cutting rates, and they did cut their percentage on everything BUT fuel. My PenFed Visa still returns 5% in a cash rebate every month. PenFed also started offering an AMEX card that returns 1.5% back on everything, so I use my Visa for gas and my AmEx for everything else. If they won't take AmEx I use my capital one MC to get the 1.5% cash back. What is in your wallet? :-)
Old 08-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernerDad View Post

Are there DEF pumps on both sides? Is there a specific sequence which the pumps require or are there separate pumps/swipes for DEF?

Thanks,

John

The DEF pumps are on the master pump (driver's side) so in your case you would need the bottled DEF sold inside the truckstop. After you slide your card there are a series of yes/no or fill in the blank questions. Look for one that says something like "additional products like oil or DEF" and tap yes. This will hold your transaction open till you go in and get the DEF and the cashier will add it to the sale.
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #32

Ir get a plastic gas can in yellow at wallmart and use it...but then storing...

Yel is for diesel but also same color as source of der...
Old 08-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
I thought PenFed discontinued the 5%. They sent a notice a year or two ago saying it was ending, so I closed my account.

PenFed did change the rules about qualifying for the 5%, but they still have it. I use my PenFed card for all my fuel purchases!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #34

Carolina Campers
Crazy Fuel Stop Experiences

I pulled into a Flying J, and another RV was ahead of me. After pumping his fuel, he pulled forward to the point that his RV was blocking both RV lanes. He gets out and walked into the station, took 20 minutes doing what ever, then comes out and pulls over to the parking lanes for a lunch break.

I could not pull forward far enough to get my fuel because he was in the way. The guy in the next lane could not leave after filing his tank because he was in the way.

The point is that even though he was nice enough to pull forward, he lacked the metal capacity to recognize that he should have simply pulled over to the parking lanes before going into the station.

Now I am wondering what I may have done without thinking about how it impacted others. No, it was just him. I am always a thoughtful guy.... Lol
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I might be ducking and skootin' after I post this, but why use truck stops? Here in the Southeast, they are now the most expensive diesel fuel around, so what do you guys know that I don't?

Expensive on Alabama Gulf Coast Baldwin county, even Fairhope is dirt cheap for Diesel and Gas. I cant wait to get back there for dirt cheap fuel!

Gas here near Fresno is about $4.10, + .10 per gallon for using your credit card. Diesel is about the same.

Truck stops have a lot more room to get around, normally have real good fuel, most offer discount fuel/food programs.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I have seen it all, from lot lizards, watching rookies try to back into spots, meet some good people, made people mad, helped people, got some good deals, ate good food, had bad food, and on and on
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #36

Back to the original post... THANK YOU! We pulled into the RV pumps at a Flying J and 1st tried the passenger side pump and nothing happened. I remembered this post and suggested trying the driver's side pump and we were able to get our fuel.

The moho in the lane next to us was an older Itasca and it turned out that this was the couples first weekend of ownership (just like ours!). I had to take the dogs for a potty break but Gary talked to them for a few minutes. They wanted to know why so many motorhomes were towing Jeeps so Gary explained the ease of towing one. I imagine they'll be towing a Jeep before too long.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
All the Flying J RV Islands I have been at for over the last 15-17 years.
Usually have 2 lanes and the pumps are in the middle on both sides.

To not have to use the slave pumps.
If your fill is on the passenger side use the Left lane.
If your fill is on the drivers side use the right lane.

If you use the truck pumps then they are usually always on the drivers side and slave on the passenger side on the many lanes.

I prefer the RV Island with the pay at the pump at most of them now.
AS my fill is on the passenger side.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #38

Do they have DEF on the RV islands and if so, which sides?

Thanks,

John

2015 American Revolution 42G

John & Dorene with Lexie, Bailey, Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), Chloe (American Eskimo), and Ember (German Shepard Dog)
Old 08-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Back to the original post... THANK YOU! We pulled into the RV pumps at a Flying J and 1st tried the passenger side pump and nothing happened. I remembered this post and suggested trying the driver's side pump and we were able to get our fuel.
Karen,

Delighted that you saved some time and frustration, it's certainly not intuitive!
Happy Trails!

Mitch

Tags
fuel