Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #15

Be sure the oil pan will clear the front axle.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #16

I don't think this has been mentioned, but another consideration would be gearing to allow the diesel to run at the most efficient rpm when at cruising speed. Gasoline engines generally run at higher rpm and are more "flexible" than diesels. If it were me I would run some calculations on this before committing to whatever you drive train you decide to use.

What you are considering has been done by at least one person in OR. There was a class A for sale on Craigslist here about a year ago that the owner had transplanted a 5.9 Cummins into. I think it was the "P" pump version and he used the Dodge transmission from the donor truck. I even considered buying it, but it was too long for the places we go (34'?).

It shouldn't be too difficult to find out what the front axle rating on your MH is and do some calculations. You may be able to get by with only adding a spring leaf or two.

Please keep us posted, you may not be the only crazy in the group. :-))

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #17

I was just wondering about how hard would it be to put a Ford 6.7 Powerstroke into a 2016 F53 chassis. Already has the 6 speed torqshift trans that is used in the Super Duty trucks.

I think the FRED could make a comeback if Ford would just pull the trigger. They have a solid platform (F53) and now a solid diesel eng/trans combo, all are in house products too. The cost plus up on a higher end (gas) coach would not be that bad. Ford could spec the change in rear axle ratio, as necessary. Probably no, or minimal, price change to them. A swap by the coach builder from a gas 7K onan to a quiet diesel 8K onan would seem to finish the deal.

Clearly this would be a serious DIY project. I was thinking more along the lines of Ford offering this combination on the F53.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #18

Friends had a class c with a ford 6.0 . they had to yell it was so loud while driving.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
My Four Winds with the F550 chassis and Ford 6.7 was very quiet. People asked me all the time why we did not get a diesel. It was as quiet going down the road as my DP is.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I know a couple guy's that have done that with Ford pickups. One of them transplanted an older model Cummins 5.9 into a 74 F150 and still drives it 10 years later. He did beef up the front suspension and used the trans. and diff. from the donor pickup. It is a lot of work . The newer engines 2004 1/2 and up are much quieter engines then the older ones.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
The newer engines 2004 1/2 and up are much quieter engines then the older ones.
2003 was the first year of the new 5.9 (high pressure fuel rail). It is just as quiet as the 2004.5.

2004.5 was the first year of the 600 ft lb engine. Prior to that the H.O. was 555 ft lbs. I owned a 2003 and a 2006, and I could not tell the difference in power, even when towing.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #22

I would only bother with this if your current power plant is kaput.
This has been done many times on the old 1970's Dodge M chassis coaches. Just google around and you will find a few examples. The main issue on those chassis was the parking brake being located on the driveshaft from the factory.
I had two different Cummins 4BT setups in 1980's Chevy pickups that worked pretty well. Both were 4x4's, one had a granny 4 speed and the other a TH400.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #23

Many years ago the Cummins maintenance dept. at the main plant in Columbus, IN did exactly that. The dept. bought 4 new Ford pickups and immediately replaced the engines with 5.9 CTD's.
Adaptors are available online, plus conversion parts and wiring harness' for the ECM and TCM modules.
I have read threads on this subject on different diesel truck forums.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #24

Oak hill farm, the swap would not be for the average gear head, mechanically no big deal but the electronics would be TOUGH .... My 05-05 swap was hard and I had all Ford prints available to me made all gauges,and ac work fine but never solved the ford steering wheeel cruise control buttons to control it,had to adapt Dodge buttons elsewhere but it works fine, The emission control after 2010 will need major attention to swap . JMO Good luck though.
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
An interesting discussion and worth monitoring so hopefully the OP will keep us up to date.

If the OEM RV manufacturers aren't planning a FRED as discussed here it seems to me they are missing a market. I had a DP without air brakes and just like the pickup trucks they work pretty well. Also the pickup trucks add some better springs but the weight issue seems to not be that big of a deal. When I asked the Fleetwood factory about this there only "issue" was the noise which we know has gotten a lot better for a FRED. As someone pointed out Ford basically has everything to make this happen. I also have a friend who drives a V10 ambulance and says those really suck so there's even more market.

Seems pretty logical.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #26

Changing the fuel tank and related items have been tossed around. I wonder why that would have to be done? I can only say that I didn't do that when I put the Perkins in the Ford. I may have rinsed it out with diesel though.

I will say, based on working on our Flair and installing the Perkins in the '69 Ford, that I think it would be a lot easier with a pickup. I just pulled the front end and hood off the truck, hung the engine with transmission attached, and pushed the truck back and forth to get measurements, weld, etc. I can't see any way to do that with a MH.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
Oak hill farm, the swap would not be for the average gear head, mechanically no big deal but the electronics would be TOUGH .... My 05-05 swap was hard and I had all Ford prints available to me made all gauges,and ac work fine but never solved the ford steering wheeel cruise control buttons to control it,had to adapt Dodge buttons elsewhere but it works fine, The emission control after 2010 will need major attention to swap . JMO Good luck though.

Agree, this is not within the realm of a DIY for most people. I was really sort of wondering out loud why Ford would not do this. It seems a logical move especially in upper end gas units. I know the price bump in pickups is pretty significant to step up to the diesel, but in a high end gas class A, a $10K bump is not that significant, relatively speaking.

Noise is really becoming a non-issue with the big 3 in pickup truck diesels. My Newmar has good sound deadening and muffles the V-10 pretty well, unless it is really screaming, which it does do on occasion. The loudest noise I ever heard from my 2009 F250 (6.4) diesel was once when the cooling fan kicked into full cool mode after a particularly long pull, WOW !did that surprise us. Other than that it was usually just the low, sweet song of the turbo(s). Of course as a gearhead I love that sort of stuff. Others may/would probably disagree. I know the new 6.7 is even quieter than the older IH sourced diesels Ford used.

Hopefully Ford is listening. I, for one, would certainly be interested.