Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #1

Crazy idea or has it been done

Has anyone done a swap from gas to diesel? Is it even do able? We love our motorhome and for what we paid for it cheapest diesel is $30,000 more. I have an 08 F53.

Let’ the good times roll!
tolandbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
The added weight of the diesel vs the gasser would cause concern about the frame/front suspension strength and weight carrying limitations of the F53 front end.
IMHO...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #3

Even with fab work? Beefing up suspension?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolandbros View Post
Even with fab work? Beefing up suspension?
I didn't say that it couldn't be done,, just the limiting factors involved..Additional Torque and added engine weight can do some really ugly things to frames and suspensions ...not to mention "re-arranging" the bodywork.
I have done a few engine swaps... some were good (392 Hemi & punchbox auto in a '52 Nash business coupe or a small block 400cu ford in a '62 Rambler American coupe... A 289 in the backseat of a '65 VW bug..or a "real healthy" 302 & 4 speed in a Hillman wagon. not so much.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

I suppose if you threw enough money at it could could do anything but......you’re probably going to have to consider a transmission into the equation since you’re dealing with a lot more torque. Also, most of the diesels are an in-line 6 cylinder and are probably longer. This is just a couple of many thing you would have to consider.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You could probably swap your gas engine for a small 5.9 Cummins, but it wouldn't be cost effective. It would be cheaper to buy another coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
A bridge across the Golden Gate was a foolish idea...until the right engineer came along. Actually most of the engine swaps Saddlesore mentioned would be beyond the skill level of many so called "professional" mechanics. I stuffed a 289 into a Suzuki Samurai....so if you have the skills....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #8

I’m thinking of a $15k budget. I am Dodge Guy well Cummins.I own a 2015 Dodge Cummins. I was reading that it might be better to stick with the same manufacturer so maybe a power stroke? But if I can get a 04 or newer 5.9 I think that would be awesome! The layout and equity I have I’m willing to take a hard look at doing it. I’m not a great mechanic on auto’s but can change a top end on a dirt bike or configure suspension. I think like said prior if you have the $$ anything can be done!
Old 11-18-2017, 11:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You could probably swap your gas engine for a small 5.9 Cummins, but it wouldn't be cost effective. It would be cheaper to buy another coach.

$15k I would be thrilled to put a 5.9 in. Think it can’t be done?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I didn't say that it couldn't be done,, just the limiting factors involved..Additional Torque and added engine weight can do some really ugly things to frames and suspensions ...not to mention "re-arranging" the bodywork.
I have done a few engine swaps... some were good (392 Hemi & punchbox auto in a '52 Nash business coupe or a small block 400cu ford in a '62 Rambler American coupe... A 289 in the backseat of a '65 VW bug..or a "real healthy" 302 & 4 speed in a Hillman wagon. not so much.
My wife’s family is from Salem, my wife went to Sprague.... want to do it for me?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
A bridge across the Golden Gate was a foolish idea...until the right engineer came along. Actually most of the engine swaps Saddlesore mentioned would be beyond the skill level of many so called "professional" mechanics. I stuffed a 289 into a Suzuki Samurai....so if you have the skills....
LOL...With that narrow frame and short wheelbase..bet that Bit%h was a bit "Twitchy" for highway use, off road would be another matter.
All my good to go swaps (sleepers) were for making $$ for tuition.. seek out the rich kids with a nice car daddy bought for them & $$ in their pocket and let them run their mouth until it overloaded their pocket...The VW & Hillman were for the strip... way too twitchy and unpredictable for the street or strip..
Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
WOW! Always wanted to do the small block in the back seat of a bug! Never did do it though! I did put a 283 corvette motor in a 65 Chevy van, Lots of modifacations on that swap, but it was fun when done!

I had a '91' Overland built on a Oshkosh chassis that could have handled that gas to diesel swap, as it had the capacity to do so! I also think a 7.3 Ford diesel and a 460 gas are about the same size, size wise, but the 7.3 weighs a lot more, so the first thing is see if you have the capacity to handle the swap? Also you have to factor in the different transmission weight too! If you decide to do the swap, I am subscribed! Rail!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
WOW! Always wanted to do the small block in the back seat of a bug! Never did do it though! I did put a 283 corvette motor in a 65 Chevy van, Lots of modifacations on that swap, but it was fun when done!

I had a '91' Overland built on a Oshkosh chassis that could have handled that gas to diesel swap, as it had the capacity to do so! I also think a 7.3 Ford diesel and a 460 gas are about the same size, size wise, but the 7.3 weighs a lot more, so the first thing is see if you have the capacity to handle the swap? Also you have to factor in the different transmission weight too! If you decide to do the swap, I am subscribed! Rail!
I’m going to give it the ol College try! I’m going to do some research to see what I can come up with. The f53 chassis is designed for 23,000 or 26,000? I literally just started thinking about this tonight. So haven’t really dug into it.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:11 AM   #14

Just don't let anyone else near the go pedal!
Changeup is offline   Reply With Quote