Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

Crazy people are at it again...

Some of you may remember us from the fall, planning to buy a motorhome for a one time cross country trip and selling it when we got back. Well, we bought a 2008 Fleetwood 40X, took the trip, returned and have the coach up for sale.

Now that we've had some time to think about it, we decided we really need to take a longer cross country trip. We're thinking of possibly full timing for a year. However, as much as we completely LOVE our 40x...we really want to go smaller. So, my question is: how close can we come to the 40x minus 10 or more feet? We'd like to go as small as possible without sacrificing the driving comfort and ride of the 40x. Because man, what a beautiful ride that is! We want a class A because we need to keep the amazing view from the windshield. We'd like to go with 2008-2011.

So, because we're not exactly sure WHAT it is that gave us the unbelievably comfortable ride, Flexsteel seats? air suspension? Freightliner chassis? weight of the coach? we don't know what we should be looking for in a new (to us), smaller one.

Suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
KIX

4Tfamily: So, because we're not exactly sure WHAT it is that gave us the unbelievably comfortable ride, Flexsteel seats? air suspension? Freightliner chassis? weight of the coach? we don't know what we should be looking for in a new (to us), smaller one.

It's a combination of all those things. In order of importance here's my list:
1. Air suspension
2. Weight of coach (a very close second)
3. Seating
4. Chassis

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #3

You will loose a lot of money downsizing/trading. Keep the 40X for that year.
HHIDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #4

I guessing you have a discovery 40x if want to down size and stay in a pusher and keep the ride then stay with what you have. The sky or your wallet can go along way the other way. If you want a gasser class a,they have the same view and will get there about the same time but the rides not the same.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
What is the reason for going to a shorter coach? What don't you like about your current coach?

If you do a pro & con table, maybe you will see if you need to make a change or not.....

I have a '05 coach that is 33'. It only has 30k miles on it. It cost me a third or less than a new coach and has all that we need. Regardless, I keep looking at other RV's and saying how nice that would be....

You already have a coach, as I do, that someone else would think is heaven. Keep it for a few years and then upgrade (or downgrade), at least you may get some use out of the money you already spent. A return on your investment may not be a bad thing to consider. A very useful concept to consider the older you are.....

Enjoy life! Enjoy where you are and what you already have. I believe that makes life better if we don't always focus on what we don't have or where we want to be. As the saying goes, life is what we do while making our plans for the future...

Happy travels!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

We won't suffer much, if any, depreciation on the 40x (it's an Excursion, by the way) We haven't owned it long (6 months) and got a good deal on it. It's why we bought used. We simply don't need or want a coach quite so large. And we may keep the next one indefinitely.

So, let's just say that we don't have it any longer to keep this conversation on track.

What would be the smallest size you all think we could get away with that had the same feel of the 40X? (Ride and comfort-wise)
Old 07-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
I would think you should trade it for a 33' coach. I can think of someone that may consider a trade.....
Old 07-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Enjoy life! Enjoy where you are and what you already have. I believe that makes life better if we don't always focus on what we don't have or where we want to be. As the saying goes, life is what we do while making our plans for the future...
Happy travels!

Great advice!
We aren't looking for something nicer, just smaller. The decision to buy this particular coach was based upon resale value on a quick turn around. We don't want to keep the amount of money tied up in a coach that we have in this. So besides wanting something easier to drive in a smaller coach, we want something less expensive.
Who wouldn't love to keep this coach...look it up in the classifieds on here, you'll see what I mean...but the money and the size have us convinced we aren't going to keep it.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #9

Thanks for the update on your trip! I was wondering what all happen during your trip and the outcome of your coach. Since you already have the coach just keep it and enjoy the ride. Our original coach purchase was a much than the one we have now and once I rode in the larger heavier coach immediately decided to go with the larger chassis. Yes it's bigger than we need, however, the larger chassis provides a great ride.

We did look at some of the smaller entry level diesel pushers but the ride wasn't that of the larger coach.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
Thanks for the update on your trip! I was wondering what all happen during your trip and the outcome of your coach. Since you already have the coach just keep it and enjoy the ride. Our original coach purchase was a much than the one we have now and once I rode in the larger heavier coach immediately decided to go with the larger chassis. Yes it's bigger than we need, however, the larger chassis provides a great ride.

We did look at some of the smaller entry level diesel pushers but the ride wasn't that of the larger coach.

Good luck.
Hey there! If you were following us, you know how everyone tried to convince us to rent rather than buy. Kind of like everyone is now trying to convince us to keep this one. LOL! You also know that we don't follow conventional wisdom.

We are selling this one way or the other. If the size weren't an issue, the money is.

So tell me, what size/type entry level diesels did you try? Was there that big a difference?

The other problem we have is living in Massachusetts there aren't any RV dealers of the type that you'll find in the south and west. So it's hard for us to just go and drive one. That's why we come here to get the advice of all you "been there, done that" people!

Thanks again!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post

Hey there! If you were following us, you know how everyone tried to convince us to rent rather than buy. Kind of like everyone is now trying to convince us to keep this one. LOL! You also know that we don't follow conventional wisdom.

We are selling this one way or the other. If the size weren't an issue, the money is.

So tell me, what size/type entry level diesels did you try? Was there that big a difference?

The other problem we have is living in Massachusetts there aren't any RV dealers of the type that you'll find in the south and west. So it's hard for us to just go and drive one. That's why we come here to get the advice of all you "been there, done that" people!

Thanks again!
To keep the quality of ride you will need to go for a coach with an air suspension. The shortest class A coach with air is the Allegro Breeze 28'. It also comes in a 32' version. The Winnebago Journey was made in a 32' floor plan for a number of years.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #12

As I am originally from Massachusetts I understand your dilemma. I agree with the prior member and look at the small Tiffin diesel pusher. I believe you may have a dealer in CT and NJ.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wondered what happened to you folks.
Good to see you're still offering mind bending questions.

If you want the ride, then my opinion is you're going to be in a DP. Since you're familiar with Fleetwood go to their web site and look under the brochures library - Click on the Visit Brochure Archive - and try the '08 Bounder Diesel. It will get ya down to 34' and up to 38' feet, each with the same chassis weights and the 6.7 ISB. You will lose the ISC engine, HP and torque - but have the same Allison 3000MH transmission. After '08 the Bounder changes.

Look at other manufactures sites as well using the same process. There are often several lengths on the same chassis / power plant. You just happen to be looking for the shorter one on the big boy chassis. To me that's the way to go if you can, especially if going to a lighter chassis. You don't want to give up all your cargo capacity to the coach. Kind of like looking for the smaller house in the move up neighborhood than the biggest house in the entry subdivision.

I can tell ya now - floor plan is going to be critical coming out of the 40x and you will notice the difference between the ISB and ISC - but I love my Bounder and many do. But like I said check other brands.

By now you either have or can easily create your list of nice to have, must have and don't need. It's just a matter of how much your willing to give up and how much your wallet will stretch.

Looking forward to watching you guys do it again and I'm really not surprised the bug bit ya. Full time for a year can prove dangerous - by turning into 2 years and so on. Have fun and enjoy the journey.
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
To keep the quality of ride you will need to go for a coach with an air suspension. The shortest class A coach with air is the Allegro Breeze 28'. It also comes in a 32' version. The Winnebago Journey was made in a 32' floor plan for a number of years.

Thank you! This is what I was asking. I didn't know how to find out which smaller ones have air or not. Are those the only ones?