Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #29

Training...Eh! Get out on the highway, set the cruise control, then go back and make a sammich! What could go wrong?

B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Ahhh, BC Regs. I had an Alberta Class 3 licence which allows me to drive anything up to two axles with air brakes. (No medical required)
When I moved to BC, I was told I had to take a medical to retain my class 3. OK, a medical it is. But, the first year, I get notice I had to have another medical in 30 days or loose my licence. I became aware of this while traveling in Alaska. Problem.
So after a long discussion with two experts in Victoria, I was told "Well, if you only need it for your RV, you can drop the class 3 and just get an RV endorsement. This allows you to drive Any RV with no medical". No test."
So now I have an RV Endorsment.
To licence my vehicles in BC, I had to have a complete out of province inspection on my car. But the 40,000 lb motorhome merely required a weight certificate to prove I was not overweight. The mechanical condition of a Heavy vehicle in mountainous terrain is not a big concern.
That is funny, when we moved back to BC we had to have an out of province inspection for all our vehicles including our 33000 lb. motorhome before we could get BC plates.

Most people, not all can climb in a vehicle and learn how to herd it down the road. If they don't have an accident they think they are an expert.

There are situations where you can get into trouble when you are sitting in a coach weighing upwards of 20,000 lbs.
Driving with air brakes takes a little practice but most people can figure that out after a few miles on the road.
Where having knowledge of an air brake system and how it works comes into play is when something starts to go wrong,you will have an idea what to do about it. Air brake systems are fairly complex and people need to know the signs of problems developing and take the proper steps to correct them.

That is why commercial drivers need to have the training and a good reason for Rv drivers to have it as well.
You are diving a vehicle that is loaded close to the axle weight limits with braking power ratio of weight per wheel.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by damdannyboy View Post
Just wondering how many RV drivers have had some kind training or course to help them with their rig or do you just wing it ? Some of you guys sound dangerous!

Damdannyboy
I just completed a 6600 mile trip last month. Trust me when I say that it isn't the MH drivers that could use some driver's education -- it's the average idiot behind the wheel of an automobile. I was simply amazed at all of the really bad driving that I witnessed on our highways and byways. Sitting up high in a coach, you get a really good look at traffic up ahead. From people driving by texting or otherwise using their phone to those that can't figure out how to merge into traffic on an interstate.

As far as what training I had prior to driving a motorhome, I had to pass a state and military commercial driving license to drive 45 passenger buses many years ago while in the service.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #32
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Glad you're so concerned, Danny, we can always use more watchdogs! I spent about 25 years moving large vehicles around, and the last several years running a special purpose eighteen wheeler 200 ft wide with about a hundred ton of freight loaded.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
Bet that took up the entire right-of-way, let alone all 4/6 lanes of the interstate. I have fat fingers at times too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I can't believe the number of coach owners who aren't up to speed on their air brake maintenance and operation.
Just look and see how many are clueless about hydraulic brakes and no special licensing nor training required to use them on multi ton vehicles!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well the NCOs wouldn't let the officers drive the really big stuff in the military, but after retirement I was a volunteer firefighter for 10 years and drove everything from deuces to 40' engines and tankers. Got the training and the special license. But I agree there are probably a lot of bad RV drivers...
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:54 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Bet that took up the entire right-of-way, let alone all 4/6 lanes of the interstate. I have fat fingers at times too.

No, Ray, that was sort of a trick statement. I never blocked a right of way, never touched a highway! My 200 ft wide, 750K Lb 18-wheeler was made by Boeing, went by the name 747. 😃

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #37

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
When I first bought the coach, my wife and I did sign up through RV School for a two day training course on how to safely negotiate the highways in our coach.

Then it was just practice driving the coach until I took my Non-Commercial Class B test.

In fact, went into a facility to get the propane tank refilled. Backed the coach in within two feet of the refueling hose with my DW directing me as to where she wanted the coach to go. One of their propane delivery drivers complemented me on how I handled the coach. (I think he was serious)

They told me a story about a person who tried to go around their office building and took out the side of the building. The guy's wife lit into the her husband about causing all the damage. The employees there also expressed concern about the fact that a person could go from driving a Smart Car to a 45 ft DP towing a Smart Car without any training.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI, when you become a Lazydays customer one of the benefits is a free one day driving class. You can also go back at any time. Also, I believe, it qualifies for a discount on your RV insurance as a defensive driving course.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #39

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
FYI, when you become a Lazydays customer one of the benefits is a free one day driving class. You can also go back at any time. Also, I believe, it qualifies for a discount on your RV insurance as a defensive driving course.
Good to know about LazyDays. As far as the discount on insurance, that depends on your carrier. Mine (Progressive through USAA) did not.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #40
PBG

From the point of view of someone considering the purchase of a first motorhome, I can say that I have yet to find a place that offers driving/maintenance lessons to a person who does not currently own a motorhome.

I'm a bit miffed by this as like others, I feel it's strange that a dealership will simply hand a new buyer the keys and maybe offer a brief orientation.

I live in a state that does not require a license and if anyone has suggestions on where a potential MH buyer can learn to drive a large MH prior to purchase, I'm all ears.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG View Post
From the point of view of someone considering the purchase of a first motorhome, I can say that I have yet to find a place that offers driving/maintenance lessons to a person who does not currently own a motorhome.

I'm a bit miffed by this as like others, I feel it's strange that a dealership will simply hand a new buyer the keys and maybe offer a brief orientation.

I live in a state that does not require a license and if anyone has suggestions on where a potential MH buyer can learn to drive a large MH prior to purchase, I'm all ears.
Lazydays as previously stated and the RV Driving School, here is their web site Rates | RV School Thy have several locations
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a Full Time School bus driver , ....
and part time deliver pop-ups, TTs and 5ers for a large RV dealership.
I deliver about 150 units per year.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver