Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG View Post
From the point of view of someone considering the purchase of a first motorhome, I can say that I have yet to find a place that offers driving/maintenance lessons to a person who does not currently own a motorhome.

I'm a bit miffed by this as like others, I feel it's strange that a dealership will simply hand a new buyer the keys and maybe offer a brief orientation.

I live in a state that does not require a license and if anyone has suggestions on where a potential MH buyer can learn to drive a large MH prior to purchase, I'm all ears.
Maybe you could find a place that teaches folks who want to drive school buses or city buses. Might try calling some school districts and bus companies to see if they could recommend anyone. You can lease class A motorhomes in some places (mostly private individuals, I think). You could rent for a couple of days to practice or to take one of the RV driving school classes.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
I just close my eyes, And punch it!

Mike
Great idea Mike! BTW ... do you think you could post a pic of your rig and your itinerary? Lot's of us would like to know where you are at all times. LOL!

Jack

Old 06-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #45

If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
No, Ray, that was sort of a trick statement. I never blocked a right of way, never touched a highway! My 200 ft wide, 750K Lb 18-wheeler was made by Boeing, went by the name 747. ��

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
Now that's funny!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #47

Good Thread. I never drove a class A before taking possession of my new RV. I had to talk the salesman into giving me a few pointers and drive around a parking lot. He declared me proficient after 15 minutes. I had open heart surgery 6 weeks before so the drive home was stressful. I had to stop in the everglades and take a nap. Unfortunately, they don't teach you the real challenges like driving in South Florida, construction zones and parking at grocery stores. The stress of driving this thing may eventually force me to sell but I now can keep it between the lines and I've learned to drive slower than traffic. 62 MPH is my top speed. I've also noticed that I drive safer in my regular vehicle as a result of learning how to drive a motor home. Despite my lack of training I have never had an accident. However I have had the experience of disconnecting my toad and immediately backing it into a palm tree.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #48
Commercial Member

ive driven motorhomes since 1967. first one was a lifetime f17. thats a 6 cylinder 17 foot ford class a. i was never happier to get home than any other time.
since then, ive logged over 1 million miles on different rv;s.
i agree, some could use some training, mostly in manners. there is no space on the highway worth your life, or any other persons life. ive seen rv;s and cars argue with a semi about space. ive learned "give a little" it doesnt cost anything, not even paint.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #49

this is a good thread, with a lot of funny posts...

i had never driven a vehicle in that size. but, after purchased the rig, i drove it home from phoenix to san diego in next 10 hours. that was in 2012. did i drive well? surely not. sorry guys for seeing my driving on that day!!

half a year later, i relocated to another state where the cdl b endorsement was required. i went, got the training and passed the test. did i feel the need for the training? absolutely. it taught me many things i hadn't known and benefited ever since up to this day.

i'd say, congratulations for those who had experience with big rig and those have gone through the training process. for everyone, be safe on the road!!
Old 06-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, it's not that big of a deal...
all you have to do is fit it in the opening and you got it !

NOW, some have had all the training, lot's of experience and STILL scare the bejebbers out of me, but that's just poor decision making, and no amount of training can fix that...

(oh, I am talking about those that drive SO scared they drive too slow !)
Old 06-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
just curious, does driving a 488,00# B-52 around 3,300,000 miles count

Gotta add some levity to this discussion.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post

Nope, cause you probably always had at least a pull in spot or a pull thru, and you always had somebody else back you up .

You know I'm kidding, right?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post

...and the skies are not cloudy all day or ...out of the blue of the western sky comes Sky King...

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Crazy RV Drivers

My first driving experience was on dirt roads in Montana in 1960. I've been driving a looong time. But was I prepared when I bought a 40' MoHo? Nope! But I tried to be. I'd spent many hours prior riding with my friend in a Freightliner pulling a 53' trailer. I drove it, too - in parking lots. I also asked a million questions (or so he told me). It helped me a lot when I drove 40' plus a toad down the interstate.

But the real climb up the learning curve was figuring out how to: avoid the wrong roads (too narrow, to tight, low clearance); not back into my house; not put the slides out when there's a water faucet in the way; not hit low obstacles that can't be seen with the mirrors; etc. My degree from the school of hard knocks is in the dings and the dents!

Going down the road in a straight line: easy. Everything else: not so easy.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
Nope, cause you probably always had at least a pull in spot or a pull thru, and you always had somebody else back you up
YUP...you back up DC-9s/MD-80s & P-3 Orions, just not with the wife directing
Old 06-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
My first driving experience was on dirt roads in Montana in 1960. I've been driving a looong time. But was I prepared when I bought a 40' MoHo? Nope! But I tried to be. I'd spent many hours prior riding with my friend in a Freightliner pulling a 53' trailer. I drove it, too - in parking lots. I also asked a million questions (or so he told me). It helped me a lot when I drove 40' plus a toad down the interstate.

But the real climb up the learning curve was figuring out how to: avoid the wrong roads (too narrow, to tight, low clearance); not back into my house; not put the slides out when there's a water faucet in the way; not hit low obstacles that can't be seen with the mirrors; etc. My degree from the school of hard knocks is in the dings and the dents!

Going down the road in a straight line: easy. Everything else: not so easy.
Noticed in your signature pic - your a little over that white line

Tags
driver