Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #85

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I noticed 80mph signs in WY the other day. Wonder if this Cummins will do that
Probably not a good idea. The main limitation to going that fast is you tire speed rating which on most MHs is about 75 mph. A rule of thumb is that the larger and heavier the tire, the lower the speed rating. At a sustained speed above the speed rating the tire starts to come apart.

Not to mention the really bad fuel mileage.

But you knew all that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
So we're supposed to drive our rig at 80 mph on IH 10 in west Texas or 85 mph on TX 130 in central Texas? We tend to move along about 65 on most roads. Secondary highways have a 75 mph speed limit and Farm to Market roads have a 70 mph speed limit so there's no way we are going to keep up with traffic most places we drive.
No. That is the speed LIMIT. That means you cannot legally drive faster than that. With conditions permitting, I set my speed control somewhere between 55 and 62 and drive in a relaxed fashion.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #87

You often hear about the "sweet-spot", the mph where the best mileage comes and the engine just hums along. With most diesels and gassers it's somewhere between 62 - 66 mph.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #88

the "sweet spot" is the speed when the engine is running at the rpm outputting the max torque. on my isc 350, according to cummins tech spec, it is in 1400-1600 rpm that peak torque occurs with a flat curve. on a non-slope highway, it translates to around 56-62 mph (not a scientific number but my own experience).
Old 06-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #89

Talking

My comfort level depends on conditions and being confident that I have full control given the situation and speed. Normally that translates to around 62 on interstates. Another limiting factor for me is my toad owner's manual states 55 as the max tow speed. I do stretch it up to 62 or even 65 at times.

I had a lot of experience driving all kinds of vehicles in the Air Force and was trained to drive each different one. I spent a year towing 40 flat bed trailers loaded with live bombs and survived without damage to anything I operated. I do feel comfortable driving a 40 foot class a and don't make sudden moves.

I don't recall seeing any crazy rv drivers out there. Just the ones who drive like they are either trying to get to a fire or running from one.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #90
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
No. That is the speed LIMIT. That means you cannot legally drive faster than that. With conditions permitting, I set my speed control somewhere between 55 and 62 and drive in a relaxed fashion.
I know that. I was asking the guy that said if the speed limit was 70 and traffic is moving at 70, you should drive your motor home at 70.

It was a facetious question.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
Probably not a good idea. The main limitation to going that fast is you tire speed rating which on most MHs is about 75 mph. A rule of thumb is that the larger and heavier the tire, the lower the speed rating. At a sustained speed above the speed rating the tire starts to come apart.

Not to mention the really bad fuel mileage.

But you knew all that.
I think you are probably lecturing without warrant - I think you see the sarcasm.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
I guess I will have to wear a flame suit here because in those same miles I have traveled I have seem many more pull-behind Rv's of all types doing scary things while traveling and have actually seen two flip their trailers while driving fast and weaving in and out of traffic.
Do they make those suits in 2XL? I'm probably going to need one too. My observations regarding pickups and trailers are very much in line with yours. Seems like when I see somebody driving an RV in what strikes me as being a little reckless - it's usually a pickup truck / bumper pull rig, driven by younger male (more 35-50 (..ish) than 50-65 (..ish)). The pickups involved are usually somewhere in that 3-7 year old range (usually not brand new and usually not outright old.

I don't mean to suggest that people/rigs fitting that profile are like to be bad drivers ... it's just that when I witness questionable RV driving, that's where I see it most.

Can I get that flame suit in a nice dark blue?
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Do they make those suits in 2XL? I'm probably going to need one too. My observations regarding pickups and trailers are very much in line with yours. Seems like when I see somebody driving an RV in what strikes me as being a little reckless - it's usually a pickup truck / bumper pull rig, driven by younger male (more 35-50 (..ish) than 50-65 (..ish)). The pickups involved are usually somewhere in that 3-7 year old range (usually not brand new and usually not outright old.

I don't mean to suggest that people/rigs fitting that profile are like to be bad drivers ... it's just that when I witness questionable RV driving, that's where I see it most.

Can I get that flame suit in a nice dark blue?
That was probably me, in all sightings - but I sold it. Don't relax, I traded it for something twice as heavy
Old 06-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #94

Not really sure what all the hoopla is about bad RV drivers is, I am quite sure most all of us have seen bad drivers in all sizes of of vehicles from motorcycles, to compact cars to semi trucks and yes, RV's too.
I have seen semi truck drivers and city bus even school bus drivers texting while driving, even a few police officers.
Let's face it, stupid is all around us, and it comes in all sizes and shapes.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I know that. I was asking the guy that said if the speed limit was 70 and traffic is moving at 70, you should drive your motor home at 70.

It was a facetious question.
Ideally, it would seem if everyone is moving at the same speed, it would be next to impossible to hit one another. Accidents happen when one driver travels appreciably faster or slower than the rest.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #96

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I noticed 80mph signs in WY the other day. Wonder if this Cummins will do that
Ours will, but the tires are only rated for 75 mph. And I like to stay under 65 although I have seen much faster with this rig.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
Ideally, it would seem if everyone is moving at the same speed, it would be next to impossible to hit one another. Accidents happen when one driver travels appreciably faster or slower than the rest.
That's one theory. I suspect there's a lot of room for discussion as to what constitutes "appreciably faster" (or slower). There less than a 12% difference between a vehicle moving at 62 mph and a vehicle moving 70 mph.

It's also pretty clear that the folks who design and administer our freeway system have no expectation that ALL vehicles using these roadways will be travelling at the same speed. Here in Michigan - freeway have a posted minimum speed limit of 45 mph, large trucks have a max speed limit of 60 ... while automobile traffic has a max speed limit of 70. Obviously the folks who's opinions truly matter do not expect vehicles to be all be driving at the same speed.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:08 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
?..Your advice to push my speed so that I can keep up with passenger car traffic while ignoring the posted limits for other large vehicles my size and pushing near the upper limits of maximum speed ratings of my vehicles tires is simply WRONG.

Show me where I said you should ignore speed limits for large vehicles. I did NOT say that. What I said was that we should drive AT THE SPEED LIMIT.

In our state the interstate speeds are 70 mph for ALL vehicles. I fail to understand the argument put forth by some here that 65 mph is somehow "safe" but 70 is not. If the speed limit is 70 and I'm cruising along at 70, I am moving right along with everyone else, fitting into the traffic flow. However, if I slow to 62 mph when everyone else is going 70, I become a hazard to everyone else because I'm going 8 mph slower than everyone else. It is safer to travel at the speed limit and fit in with the traffic flow.

I would be quite comfortable traveling in our coach at 80 mph if that was the speed limit and traffic was moving at that speed. My tires are rated for it so they'll be OK. However, my wallet won't like it very much. At 80 mph she only gets about 5 mpg.

Tags
driver