Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #99

True confession...

When I'm plugging down the interstate doing about 67mph, I become envious of the guy in a Prevost who blows by me doing 85.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Yep. I went from driving a 1,500 lb Miata to a 50,000 lb cement truck and I drive it as fast as I can though residential areas to make as many deliveries as I can.
Are those deliveries worth the life of a child on a bicycle? How quick can you stop a 50000 lb cement truck. Do you get the term residential neighborhood?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
True confession...

When I'm plugging down the interstate doing about 67mph, I become envious of the guy in a Prevost who blows by me doing 85.
Yep, me too.

I be honest, I don't travel 75 mph because I don't have enough horsepower.

I was traveling south on I75 in central Michigan. The traffic norm for speed is 75-80. There in the right hand lane is a newer class A traveling his 55-60mph. Traffic was bunched up for nearly a mile behind him. He might have been safe, but nobody else was.

Let's be clear, many RVs are driven slower to save themselves fuel money. Then use the safety card as justification. There are roads to do this, scenic byways come to mind. Drill down to the studies on accidents and you see that speed differential is the greatest risk factor not absolute speed.

Want to travel slow? Fine, just pull off to let the bunched up vehicles pass.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #102
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are maximum and minimum speed limits. I don't care what the maximum limits are. I drive at a speed that I feel comfortable and safe as long as it's within legal limits.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree with Clifftall. I could care less what the speed limit signs say except when in CA.

Since my rig is about 72 feet long and weighs about 48,000 lb's, I will always drive defensively, maintaining FULL control at all times except for those situations where stupid drivers pass me like a bat out of hell and then cut in front and slam on the brakes.

There will ALWAYS be stupid drivers whether it be in a car, truck, RV, bus whatever BUT it is totally up to you whether you are one of them or not.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #104

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I used to drive 70-75 depending on the speed limit. Funny how having a steer tire catastrophic blow out at that speed will alter your future thinking. Now it's 62 mostly with some 65 downhill and passing.
One other point for the readers/posters here to ponder; my Ford Tow'd along with a bunch of others I could name, isn't supposed to be towed over 65mph. Since I value my transmission and other components I do try to honor that edict by the manufacturer. So even if my tires and my courage could handle 70-75 or even 80 as some have suggested, my towed vehicle cannot.
Just my thoughts......
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Gary said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Not sure why I'm bothering to try to explain this. Half won't believe it and the other half won't care.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #106

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Posts like this make me sad...and a bit angry.

If driving your motor home is stressful, you need more training and practice. If you are afraid to go faster than 62, you need more training and practice. Why would you drive SLOWER than the other traffic? You are just creating more problems for yourself by doing that. If the speed limit is 70 and all the other traffic is moving along at 70, drive at 70! You fit in with everyone else that way and you are not constantly dealing with people passing you.

Driving a motor home SHOULD be a very relaxing experience. Quite honestly, I would rather drive our motor home than my car. And I have a very nice car...

The stress is caused by what others are doing or not doing that makes it uncomfortable and often downright unsafe. Furthermore, the CRV is limited to 65 MPH while being towed. On a 70 MPH speed limit Interstate overall traffic is going faster than 70 and some western states have even higher speed limits. Keeping up with fast movers is not an option.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
.........That's one theory ...........

A bit more than a theory, Norman! Fact. Assuming proper alignment, if all vehicles travel at the same speed there will be no contact. A hundred cars could travel a hundred miles at a hundred mph.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #108
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
Ideally, it would seem if everyone is moving at the same speed, it would be next to impossible to hit one another. Accidents happen when one driver travels appreciably faster or slower than the rest.
True, but when the other traffic has tires rated for 120 or 150 mph and we're riding on tires rated at 75 mph, there comes a point when prudence dictates a lower speed. I try to stay around 65 and try to pull over when there is traffic behind me.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #109

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My formal training consisted of stealing the keys to my parents winnebago when they left the house for a few hours. It was 1976 and I was 11 years old. I still remember the parents faces in the neighborhood when I came barreling down their streets, going way too fast taking off low hanging tree branches and knocking off marker lights on the front of the Winnie! Im not sure if they saw me and the look on their face was them trying to figure out my age or just pure shock! I drove that thing around for hours until parking it back in its spot, parallel mind you on a chicago city street just before my parents pulled back in. They asked what I was doing in the RV and I told them I was listening to the radio. They never found out until I told them many year later. So, I guess you can say I have been driving these things all my life. I have driven school buses with trailers behind, tow trucks since I was 16 and my 36 foot motorhome with a 24 foot trailer behind. Not once have I had any type of training or special licensing and not once have I had an accident. We do not need any more oversight in our lives, folks get along just fine.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #110

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Not once have I had any type of training or special licensing and not once have I had an accident. We do not need any more oversight in our lives, folks get along just fine.
That may be true for you and me (I was 10) and some others but there's a whole heap o' drivers out there with no clue that really DO need some oversight!
Old 06-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #111

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Not to beat this to death, but from where I sit, yes, there are some RV pilots that could use some advise., true. But for my money, I'd rather see 4-wheelers get educated on why they shouldn't pull in front of my 23 ton train and then slow down. Or have them learn that my stopping distances are quite a bit longer than theirs or to give me a chance to pull back in from the passing lane after I've moved over to allow them to merge. I'd bet the accident rate per vehicle/mile is much lower for RV's than cars anyway.
-Ron🇺🇸
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #112

And still s*** happens even after years of training.. lol

Tags
driver