Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool Crazy RV Drivers

Just wondering how many RV drivers have had some kind training or course to help them with their rig or do you just wing it ? Some of you guys sound dangerous!

Damdannyboy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #2

Start your thread off right. What training have you undegone?
I've driven semi-trucks, dump trucks, farm tractors towing equipment(2 hay wagons), Army trucks of various ratings(after the required Army training of course), 1T dually towing a 40' 5er, now a 40' MH towing a vehicle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have always found it amazing that you could spend your entire life driving nothing bigger than a compact car and then one day just jump in a 40'+, 30,000 lb MH and away you go. Better yet add toad now your looking at 60+' and over 40,000 lbs.

I had over the course of my driving years driven big vehicles, straight trucks and the like. No training for RVs though except youtube videos. I remember for the first year repeating to my self on turns "get my hips past what I don't want to hit"
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just close my eyes, And punch it!

Mike
Old 06-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sorry! Ray I have a MOS 64C eight years Army National Guard and five years Tractor Trailer driving.

Damdannyboy
Old 06-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #7

A lot of states and provinces , are catching up with rules and special licensing.
Weights and air brakes , being the determining factors .
I can't believe the number of coach owners who aren't up to speed on their air brake maintenance and operation.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by damdannyboy View Post
Just wondering how many RV drivers have had some kind training or course to help them with their rig or do you just wing it ? Some of you guys sound dangerous!

Damdannyboy
Oh, yeah, been training at driving huge moho's since 1980. Started driving 1963. Neighbor kids, stuck me behind the steering wheel of an old model A flatbed truck that had the engine cleaned up and explained to me the basics of how a clutch operated. There were no brakes. I was 10. They pushed the darn thing down the hill as fast as they could while yelling at me to pop the clutch. I did, and what do you know, the darn thing started and took off like a rocket followed by 3 screaming teen age boys trying to get me to take my foot off the gas so they could get on! Are you kidding? I drove that thing all over that corn field before it ran out of gas with them screaming in hot pursuit. Needless to say I had a huge grin on my face from ear to ear and knew what I was going to do for a living.

I spent 32 years documenting my mileage for the feds each year so I could get them to pay for my expenses. Driven little itty bitty cars, and great big trucks. They all got steering wheels, gas pedals and most have brakes that work. It ain't complicated. A couple of hours in a empty parking lot and you should have a pretty good idea on how to drive your chosen vehicle and trailer or what ever.

But then there are always those road hogs that are regardless of who they drive next to, no amount of training will help them or get them to use their stupid mirrors. What brake for some one? Not a efing chance.....

Roadhogs, I salute you and your large insurance company Because I never total a vehicle! Thank you because I always do the work myself.

Always remember, if you are moving slower than the other fella, he hit you! $$$$
Old 06-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #9

Crazy RV Drivers

Many years ago in another life I drove a 40-foot, cab-over straight truck for a major tire company for several years. I did mostly regional deliveries. I learned how to shoe-horn that big truck into very tight spaces, from small tire shops with no loading docks to major truck stops and tire distributors with loading docks.

Driving the motor home is very similar to driving that truck, just easier. The motor home turns sharper, has better mirrors and the rear-view camera. That straight truck experience is why I never use anyone on the ground when I back into a site. I never had help then and I prefer not to use any now.

I think there should be some kind of driving and written test for ALL motor home drivers. I've seen too many stupid and dangerous things on the road, done by drivers who never learned anything about driving a large vehicle and were clearly afraid of driving their own coach. Perhaps the worst was a guy who was driving a 40-foot diesel pusher and was unable to back into space that had no trees and was five coaches wide! After EIGHT attempts he finally gave up and left the RV park. He had no idea what he was doing. That guy has no business driving that motor home on the interstate highways. He's a menace to anyone near him. Unfortunately, there a lot more out there like him.

A driving test would weed out drivers like this fella and get them the help and training they need to become more confident and competent drivers.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Damdannyboy

Yep. I went from driving a 1,500 lb Miata to a 50,000 lb cement truck and I drive it as fast as I can though residential areas to make as many deliveries as I can.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #11

I have seen some folks with some questionable abilities in large RV's but the majority of folks seem to do just fine. Should be some kind of air brake info/class though. I had to test on air brakes for a commercial license. In California 26,000 is the commercial line but motor coaches are exempt providing they are under 40'. Over 40' you need a non commercial class B minimum. Weight doesn't factor in unless something has changed recently. A heavier vehicle is more dangerous than a long one in my book. As for me my DP is relaxing and much easier than my usual 18 speed and hauling 80-120k pound dozer or excavator.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:47 PM   #12

Drove a 2 door Fiat 850 sedan until I totaled it........figured I was safer on 2 wheels so rode motorcycles until we went FT.

Seen a couple of guys drive by house towing a trailer and knew that was what we should use.

13'4" 34' 14K 5th wheel...........but I did use a 'tractor motor'

Piece of cake......don't know what all the hoopla is about
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Damdannyboy

Glad you're so concerned, Danny, we can always use more watchdogs! I spent about 25 years moving large vehicles around, and the last several years running a special purpose eighteen wheeler 200 ft wide with about a hundred ton of freight loaded.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:52 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's see, I started driving a school bus right after I got my drivers license for 3 years, I then drove Nuclear powered Submarines around the ocean for 20 years, then I bought me a small truck and a TT and drove it for a year, then a bigger truck and a 5th wheel and drove it for about 3 years before moving on up to a Class A MH. I figure if I can't drive it by now then I guess I never will learn.
Knock on wood, no incidents as of yet and I hope to keep it that way.

Tags
driver