Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2016, 02:32 AM   #15

Winging it in a 40' DP.

Here in New Hampshire, there is no special licensing for RVs, regardless of size or weight. This seemed very convenient until I discovered that, because there is no special licensing, there is no training available at all outside of the CDL schools. I read everything I could find and spent lots of time in the high school parking lot getting a feel for turning and backing up. I really couldn't relax behind the wheel until we were nearing the end of our first 1600 mile trip. If there were some reasonably available training to increase my skill level, I would do it. DW has not spent a single minute behind the wheel, but wants to learn too.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 04:49 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
In British Columbia, Canada, all you need to drive the biggest motorhome is a standard class 5 license, the same as is required to drive your family car. But, if your coach is equipped with air brakes you do need to get an "air ticket endorsement added to your license.

I drove many types of trucks years ago including large cab-over fueling tankers, a variety of semis, including B-trains and a large bus that had been converted to a mobile showroom and jobber wagon. I had dropped my higher class of licence years ago to avoid the yearly medical requirement but figured I could simply challenge the air ticket endorsement by taking the exam without going through the 2 1/2 day training class required for it. Unfortunately I was wrong and no amount of prior experience allows you to simply take the test, you have to sit through a mandatory 2 1/2 days of classes.

The training was mind numbing and covered all the air brake related information relevant to the trucks I drove back in the 1970s and 80s but extremely little, other than gauges pressures, that was relevant to the braking system on my air equipped motorhome.

That is government regulations for you. You have to follow their designated steps, even though you could prove you already possessed great knowledge that their class provided and yet there was no requirement to demonstrate you have the skills and/or knowledge required to drive a 43 foot (61' with our toad) coach that weighs in at 45,000 lb.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:51 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by damdannyboy View Post
Just wondering how many RV drivers have had some kind training or course to help them with their rig or do you just wing it ? Some of you guys sound dangerous!

Damdannyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by damdannyboy View Post
I'm sorry! Ray I have a MOS 64C eight years Army National Guard and five years Tractor Trailer driving.

Damdannyboy
Had New York State Bus License - I forget the class. The Army National Guard taught me to drive bus in New York City and did many miles in and around Brooklyn & Queens.......never Manhattan. I was a recruiter and we would take turns picking up the many applicants heading for testing and basic training. (....and let recruiters sleep in!) I took them to the Ft. Hamilton AFEES in Brooklyn, NY (Now MEPS). Ha - I am really showing my age there........I kept the bus license until I moved to Indiana and no longer had a need for it.

I was never a 64C but drove many an Army Truck up thru 5 ton most of the times towing something. Probably the most interesting tow was a 155mm Howitzer.........

Once in the seat of my 39' MH, it was like riding a bike - I can hear the trainer - "In a right hand turn, hold the outside line"............whatever that means !!!!!!!! LOL

Thanks for bringing back some fun memories............

g
Old 06-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery

I gradually built up driving techniques via motorcycles, every size car, pickups, small trucks, large rentals trucks, pulling many sized trailers, C motorhomes, 5th Wheels, then A motorhomes. 1st A was 32 ft. Took 5k miles to get used to it, then 36 ft Bounder, now a 41 ft DP. Had to get Class B license in TX. They tested for our air brakes. I feel very qualified and confident. I get many compliments on my GOOD driving techniques. Best driver in family. One accident in 30+ years.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #19

And what about the wisdom of Uhaul and alike with their 26' diesel truck with a car hauler trailer. Talking about trouble!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I took a CDL training course. Many moons ago I drove a 30' delivery van.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I may not have attended any special training classes - but I did manage to drive somewhere close to 750K miles in various sized vehicles without ever having been cited for an accident before I purchased my coach. Granted, my coach is the largest thing I've driven (44 feet long, 64+ feet with the toad on) complete with air brakes - but again I didn't jump into it "cold".

Since purchasing my coach, I've viewed all the training videos I could vet my hands on, studied the written components necessary to prepare for a CDL test. I then spent a few hours in an empty parking lot learning to maneuver and back the coach. I stopped short of actually getting a CDL (the only license besides a "standard" operators license that my state offers). Possessing a CDL means a government mandated physical, increased penalties for moving violations and being subjected to random drug and alcohol testing. Not that any of that comes into play for me - but on general principles, I'm not in any sort of hurry to voluntarily invite more government into my life.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #22

Rexhall Owners Group
We bought our 35 ft. gasser used from a rehab dealer in southern Arizona. We traveled cross country with our dog in a PT cruiser to pick it up. Part of the deal was for the service manager to accompany us to a nearby campground and school us on hooking up this, our first RV. I'll always remember standing across the desk from him as he said, " Well, lets go ", I said, "aren't you going to give me any lessons ?" He said, "It's your baby,..you spank it ".
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #23

After retiring from Boeing at 57, I did two years as a driver for our county transit agency before we got our 32' Class A. The 40' buses were a lot easier to drive than the RV and more comfortable in the driver's seat. Recaro beats Flexsteel for comfort.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #24

Training, I don't need no stinkin' training.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
In British Columbia, Canada, all you need to drive the biggest motorhome is a standard class 5 license, the same as is required to drive your family car. But, if your coach is equipped with air brakes you do need to get an "air ticket endorsement added to your license.

I drove many types of trucks years ago including large cab-over fueling tankers, a variety of semis, including B-trains and a large bus that had been converted to a mobile showroom and jobber wagon. I had dropped my higher class of licence years ago to avoid the yearly medical requirement but figured I could simply challenge the air ticket endorsement by taking the exam without going through the 2 1/2 day training class required for it. Unfortunately I was wrong and no amount of prior experience allows you to simply take the test, you have to sit through a mandatory 2 1/2 days of classes.

The training was mind numbing and covered all the air brake related information relevant to the trucks I drove back in the 1970s and 80s but extremely little, other than gauges pressures, that was relevant to the braking system on my air equipped motorhome.

That is government regulations for you. You have to follow their designated steps, even though you could prove you already possessed great knowledge that their class provided and yet there was no requirement to demonstrate you have the skills and/or knowledge required to drive a 43 foot (61' with our toad) coach that weighs in at 45,000 lb.
Ahhh, BC Regs. I had an Alberta Class 3 licence which allows me to drive anything up to two axles with air brakes. (No medical required)
When I moved to BC, I was told I had to take a medical to retain my class 3. OK, a medical it is. But, the first year, I get notice I had to have another medical in 30 days or loose my licence. I became aware of this while traveling in Alaska. Problem.
So after a long discussion with two experts in Victoria, I was told "Well, if you only need it for your RV, you can drop the class 3 and just get an RV endorsement. This allows you to drive Any RV with no medical". No test."
So now I have an RV Endorsment.
To licence my vehicles in BC, I had to have a complete out of province inspection on my car. But the 40,000 lb motorhome merely required a weight certificate to prove I was not overweight. The mechanical condition of a Heavy vehicle in mountainous terrain is not a big concern.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ahhh - Train This!
Attached Images

Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #27

I started driveing in 1966,drove tractors ,race cars ,Jittneys ,Fire Trucks ,and a mh,and delivery trucks,so i figure im quaified
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #28

I drove a 55k lb International flatbed rolloff for years, now I drive 50k miles a year in a full-size service van. I can wheel around the MH along with my mid-70s Cadillac better than the missus' PT Cruiser, go figure.

Tags
driver