Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #71

I drove a 18 wheeler, a commercial bus and a school bus.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Sorry - but your suggestion that if the speed limit it 70 ... we all need to be driving 70 is flat out wrong. Any road with a 70 mile an hour speed limit in my state is an expressway - with posted minimum speed of 45 mph ... and a reduced maximum speed limit for trucks of 60 mph. I set my cruise control somewhere in the 62-65 mph range - not because I'm afraid to drive 70 - but because it's the smart and safe thing to do.

My 43,000 lb vehicle has much more in common with a large truck (and their reduced maximum speed limit of 60 mph) than I do with passenger cars.

My tires have a maximum speed rating of 75 mph. Staying at 85% - 90% of that maximum rating is also the safe and prudent thing to do.

Your advice to push my speed so that I can keep up with passenger car traffic while ignoring the posted limits for other large vehicles my size and pushing near the upper limits of maximum speed ratings of my vehicles tires is simply WRONG.
X2....the speed limit is the limit for ideal conditions, and that doesn't mean you have to drive that fast. I too drive between 62-65 MPH on most freeways/expressways as that is where I feel the most comfortable, safe, and the MH handles the best. Sure it can go faster but, telling someone they should drive faster just because the sign says so is flat out wrong.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 AM   #73

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
No doubt! You hit CA and it's like crawling over the surface of the moon.... for many many many hours and then some more....
We usually go from WA to AZ through CA on I-5 or 99 with a stop in Fresno at friends, then I-10 east. That's a long ways to go at 55-60 mph. At 60 the engine is only turning 1350 rpm and would probably be better running in 5th. That rpm isn't lugging the engine and it pulls the passes just fine although it does shift to 5th due to the low speed. Going 65 I could pull the passes in 6th.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #74

started with a 24ft class c and rec. trailer for 20 years then a 34ft gass A With jeep in tow for two years. Now a 40 A diesel pusher With jeep in tow. I love it and get around great. When I go through Ca. I set back and enjoy the ride. I am in no hurry.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #75

I told my dh that if he wanted a class A he had to become a bus driver. He wasn't happy about working in retirement but it has been win/win. The money from driving a school bus has become our travel fund, he is more confident, and I am more comfortable.

He keeps it under 60 and we have no problem being the slow ones. We only drive 4 hours a day so we aren't in the way very long.
TravelingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I noticed 80mph signs in WY the other day. Wonder if this Cummins will do that
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You need a special class license in Texas, but there is no training available most places. You have to take a test which covers one chapter from the CDL book on lighting, brake requirements, maximum length and the like. Most of it was pretty useless because the manufacturer is going to make sure your coach meets these requirements. There was one small section in that chapter that did cover going around corners and curves which was useful. I did study the air brake portion of the test and it was very useful for someone who hasn't owned a vehicle with air brakes.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Posts like this make me sad...and a bit angry.

If driving your motor home is stressful, you need more training and practice. If you are afraid to go faster than 62, you need more training and practice. Why would you drive SLOWER than the other traffic? You are just creating more problems for yourself by doing that. If the speed limit is 70 and all the other traffic is moving along at 70, drive at 70! You fit in with everyone else that way and you are not constantly dealing with people passing you.

Driving a motor home SHOULD be a very relaxing experience. Quite honestly, I would rather drive our motor home than my car. And I have a very nice car...
So we're supposed to drive our rig at 80 mph on IH 10 in west Texas or 85 mph on TX 130 in central Texas? We tend to move along about 65 on most roads. Secondary highways have a 75 mph speed limit and Farm to Market roads have a 70 mph speed limit so there's no way we are going to keep up with traffic most places we drive.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by damdannyboy View Post
Just wondering how many RV drivers have had some kind training or course to help them with their rig or do you just wing it ? Some of you guys sound dangerous!

Damdannyboy
Really?

Imagine a universe where people take their responsibility seriously and their driving record reflects this, without government intervention. It's the one I live in.

I see many RVs driven safely everyday and I live in Floriduh.

Bock bock bock, the sky is falling!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #80

American Coach Owners Club
I am going to agree with Coma on this. I have lived in Florida for years in an area with a number of snowbird campgrounds plus I travel I-75 and I-10 for hundreds of miles at least twice a month if not more. I will have to say that by far the greatest number of Motorhomes I encounter are driven sanely and safely. The are usually driven in the right hand lane at somewhat below the speed limit. I do not see the so called "white knuckle" older driver that is so commonly referred to, in fact I have seen some of those "older" drivers (hey I am 65) handle their rigs quite well in traffic, parking lots and campgrounds. Have they all had formal training, probably not? I feel that most people if they have no previous experience tend to be very cautious when starting out in a big rig until they gain experience. Now you will see the occasional yahoo driving 70 plus on the interstate in traffic but I have never seen a MH cause a wreck.

I guess I will have to wear a flame suit here because in those same miles I have traveled I have seem many more pull-behind Rv's of all types doing scary things while traveling and have actually seen two flip their trailers while driving fast and weaving in and out of traffic.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
There are crazy drivers in every size and shape of vehicle. I don't think we can really single out RV drivers as being worse as a group than any of the others.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #82

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
So we're supposed to drive our rig at 80 mph on IH 10 in west Texas or 85 mph on TX 130 in central Texas? We tend to move along about 65 on most roads. Secondary highways have a 75 mph speed limit and Farm to Market roads have a 70 mph speed limit so there's no way we are going to keep up with traffic most places we drive.

Those that try to keep up with those speeds should read and understand that the speed rating on their tires is more than likely 75mph. Not 85.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #83
Commercial Member

i agree those who choose to drive around 65. thats a comfortable speed. and it gives the driver time to do a little sightseeing too.
im not talking about staring at the mountains, just an occasional look.
80 is ok for cars, and light trucks, but ive been passed by semis doing that speed in texas.
not me, ive got the time.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
We live in Texas as well - I never try to keep up to the speed limits - 70 on a windy back road is way to fast for me. I just slide over so others can pass.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver