Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

Crazy Swirly Paint Jobs ?

(speaking of just class A diesel)

Obviously 99.99% of these RVs have the crazy waves, swirls, etc etc. I guess that's what "the market" wants? (Meaning older people) absolutely no disrespect by that

So im wondering how many people would like a solid color? Like all black or metallic silver, etc etc? Anyone have pictures of one(s) they've seen? I can't really find any online anywhere.

I think it would look awesome all one color. I just feel like the swirly paint jobs make them look cheap and "1990s motorhome-like"
repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some manufacturers are now offering the option of solid or almost solid anyway, or the swirly paint job, Winnebago's Horizon for instance. I like either type depending on the colors used. I always said if I found the perfect floor plan on the inside the paint job on the outside would not prevent me from purchasing. And I think I could get used to most of the paint jobs applied by the manufacturers nowadays, but paint jobs by private owners? Not so much!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #3

If you study the brochures for various brands of class A motorhomes over the last 20 or so years (they can mostly be downloaded as PDF files thanks to the internet), you can spot a clear trend in RV graphics, with some brands leading the curve, some trailing behind, and a very few doing their own thing. In general it went from stripes, which evolved into swooops, then twisting ribbons, then there was a split with some going to broken bars, and others beginning the swirls, which kept getting more and more elaborate, until a couple of years ago when we started seeing a tendency to more bold colors. The color schemes have changed over the years too, nothing screams mid 1990's like beige background with purple and green accents.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #4

I ask because Im thinking of getting a new RV ordered and you have the option to not get the swirls and just get one solid color if you want. No charge.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #5

Saw a matte black Prevost a few weeks ago at a campground in Virginia...very stealthy and cool to look at but likely pretty hot judging by the number of roof A/C's.

Kind of like our swirls!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Natchez Trace Eagle.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	501.4 KB
ID:	208065  
Old 06-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #6

Dave, yours is the perfect example of the transition point going from twisting ribbon to swirls, with just a hint of mid 90's swoosh in there at the back.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #7

anyone have any pictures of nice, solid, shiny paint jobs on class A RVs? I cant find any
Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #8

Solid white Dutch Star showed up at NMCR this winter. To be honest, it did not look good, and that was a shared opinion of many who were there.

But to each there own.
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #9

You can not find any because they would look ugly. More like a bus then a motor home. Fact the only motor home that was all white with very few graphics was the Alpha and it got criticized in most forums that it looked like a big refrigerator going down the road.

But you have your taste and I have mine. I personally like some of these new paint jobs with full body paint and crazy design. Saw a Prevost the other day that was out of this world. The paint job was simply beautiful.

But I am sure if you want to save money get it all black or white????
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Should be cheaper without the extra labor

to paint all the swirls and stuff.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #11

Graphic design used also acts to hide imperfections as compared to a solid color.

Saw a picture of a solid color coach and personally I really disliked it. You could see all the waviness in those large panels.

Tom
Old 06-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #12

The problem is that you have very large surfaces that need something to break them up. My old motorhome was fine in a 2 color straight scheme because it was short, and the windows broke up the solid panels. I'm not sure the newer one could look good in a solid color, Although I have considered white or antique white metalic. The metalic would help to give some texture to the flat surface. Black metalic may work too, but I''d hate to park in the sun.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #13

I think with the full body paint a solid color would not look that great, where the solid white(or other color) in a Gel Coat finish is not so bad. I really think it is a big surface that needs to be broken up with the designs, but that's just me. With some of the manufacturers that take custom orders I would think you can chose to have a solid color. It would be much easier to paint and should be cheaper if anything. In the full body paint the swirls/designs are all added in different steps and are paint, not decals, so there are several stages to the paint job.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #14

I also think that a larger motorhome in one solid color would look like just a big box. On the other hand, some I've seen are a little off the deep end and way too busy, in my opinion. In a recent ad, I saw a Foretravel with not only swirls, but the background looked like an old antique map background. I thought it was pretty gross. I've seen some customs with just gorgeous scenes painted on them...WOW!

To each his own.

Tags
paint