RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Creative Minds Only

As we are progressing down the "stay-in-one-place" mode for several months, we are finding that there are a few places that have space we would like to use, but are difficult to use. The largest and most wasted space in our coach is the front dashboard. Yes, we have the fold out workspace for our computer, but the rest is an un-even variation of rising, falling and less than conducive spaces.

So.. you creative types, .... what have you done to utilize the front dash for living? Do you build something that you can place on the dash to make flat space? How do you reach across? Do you build something over the doghouse? ... lets see what you have done to make the front cockpit area useful for living.

We are staying 4+ months in one spot... (new to us)....so we can leave it there for quite some time, and put it somewhere when we actually travel...

Looking for ideas ... for a not-so-good do-it-yourself-er

zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

We throw our large soft items there, like our chair cushions.

Rob

Old 01-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
Interesting question but one that we've never contemplated being that we're only talking about MAYBE 1/30th (if that) of the total space of our MH. But interesting none the less.

As for the dash area, we do keep 2 dehumidifiers up there during the winter and they do a pretty good job. Both chairs are turned around to face the galley and the floor area is usually used for temporary storage like bottled water, booze & beer, etc. Once in awhile when we do laundry and the dryer at the CG doesn't do a good enough job, we'll drape our somewhat still damp underwear & socks up on the dash for a final drying time. How's that for being transparent? Would you like some pic's?

I don't really see the need or the implementation of a solution to the dash board area though. I mean, every night you either have to pull the curtains or draw down the shade to cover the windshield, so that area really needs to stay clear.

However, I have seen other MH's in CG's with all kinds of cluttered crap up on their dash. You can see it in the daytime through their wind shield and it looks really junky to me. My wife & I wouldn't stand for it. We're to neat & tidy...except of course for the underwear & socks up there once a week.

Now if I was young & single and was looking for some "action", I might hang some other type of things in the wind shield or on the dash to announce this is a party bus so come on in. But as of now...that's not the case.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #4

Round wood on the steering wheel, with a cloth, trinkets that get cycled in and out, sparkling things.
Different at every stop!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6970.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	190679
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6972.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	190680

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice

Building a wooden ring for the steering wheel to make it a table... that is innovative. I like it. I am thinking of building some kind of shelf unit that fits on the dash when we park and can be put on the bedroom floor or the like when we move (or disassemble and put in the basement).

We have a printer, books and other stuff on the dash... which moves around as we circulate its use.

OH... so we are not the only ones who 'dry' things on the dash. Orange peels and other natural things like herbs do well drying there and the once in a while need for drying socks / underwear etc. (we have an onboard washer but not dryer).

I can see that this topic is not one that many care about, but we use the passenger captain chair as the basis of an office when parked. Laptops, phones, cables etc are all run on that side of the dash. Making things accessable to the 'office' and giving some organization to items that do not fit in kitchen / food storage places .... is what we are trying to get ideas for....

Thanks to all
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:04 PM   #6

Creative Minds Only

The wheel on my Monaco tilts all the way up to level. I bought the round pine board at Home Depot.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The passenger side of our dash is flat. There's a big pillow there, and our dogs use it when either traveling or parked. Keeps them out from underfoot.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #8

I have two 10-inch displays that need to be on the dashboard of my 2002 Monaco Windsor 40' within easy sight of the driver. One has a 10" four zone backup camera (2 rear view cameras and two side/mirror cameras) and the other is a 10" touch screen GPS/ android radio. I wonder if anyone has ever come up with a decent-looking cabinet or mount system for these. I don't want to just screw them into the dash. I want some kind of cabinet to make them look built in. I can build it but can't think of a working design.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:14 AM   #9

We set up our 32" TV on the dash. When we travel we pack the tv in the space under the dinette. Works for us.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:33 AM   #10

Marjoa, of course we want to see pictures of your undies and socks on the dash!

You crack me up. Keep 'em coming.

Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote