Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
dmurdock's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Cedar Park, Tx.
Posts: 322
To answer the OP's question, I'd say you've got the right plan. My choice is walmart first, truck stop 2nd, rest area 3rd. I like walmarts or truckstops better because the stop can be used for multiple purposes (you can get food/fuel at the same place you stop).
There are multiple apps out there, I like the allstays app (online or for android/iphone). It seems to be kept up to date by users.
__________________

__________________
1995 BlueBird BMC 37
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1984 BlueBird Wanderlodge FC35RB-Sold
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
MN_Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
While I agree with others that you should utilize a mover and plane ticket, that wasn't your question, now, was it?
.

LOL. So many different perspectives. Blang gets it right above though. My question was specific - this is not about planes, movers, or automobiles ... It is about the opportunity personallyto help my son with something that he needs. Price (within limits) is secondary. Besides ... I LIKE driving the DP (and every time we get on the road we run the risk of running afoul of other drivers...). I probably misrepresented the time: I am allowing up to six days for the westward run, might consider shooting for five if I feel ok, will only do four if something happens and I absolutely need to. I personally have flexibility, so it is not the end of the world if he needs to run ahead in his car and I get there later... I considered the option of doing some sightseeing on the way back to MN from Fresno, but will not gave a tow car, so my flexibility is limited 😞. I can actually work remotely from the rig, so on the return to MN I have the option of recovering and taking easy days (limited by how soon my DW wants me back at the house. Rig and generator are in great shape .. Except for food maybe I should be ok as a solo driver for up to 6-8 days without dumping and water refill. I'll take to heart the "early in to the flying J (or other truck stops .. I was not aware they fill that early??? So far I tend to like walmarts also ...

Thanks again for all the thoughts!!
__________________

__________________
- 2012 Fleetwood Expedition 36M -
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ & Plover, WI
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
LOL. So many different perspectives. Blang gets it right above though. My question was specific - this is not about planes, movers, or automobiles ... It is about the opportunity personallyto help my son with something that he needs. Price (within limits) is secondary. Besides ... I LIKE driving the DP (and every time we get on the road we run the risk of running afoul of other drivers...). I probably misrepresented the time: I am allowing up to six days for the westward run, might consider shooting for five if I feel ok, will only do four if something happens and I absolutely need to. I personally have flexibility, so it is not the end of the world if he needs to run ahead in his car and I get there later... I considered the option of doing some sightseeing on the way back to MN from Fresno, but will not gave a tow car, so my flexibility is limited 😞. I can actually work remotely from the rig, so on the return to MN I have the option of recovering and taking easy days (limited by how soon my DW wants me back at the house. Rig and generator are in great shape .. Except for food maybe I should be ok as a solo driver for up to 6-8 days without dumping and water refill. I'll take to heart the "early in to the flying J (or other truck stops .. I was not aware they fill that early??? So far I tend to like walmarts also ...

Thanks again for all the thoughts!!
Your original post implied that time was of the essence and limited. Several offered suggestions based on that. After this explanation, I have to ask why ask the question in the first place? You say you have plenty of time and under no big rush and that you are flexible. You can also work from your MH, so your job isn't an issue and you plan to sight see on a relaxing trip home. Somewhere, I missed your point.
__________________
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Scatterbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Yucca Valley, Ca.
Posts: 501
We recently moved from Va to SoCal. If you take 40 across there are several RV "parks" right off the highway that are really little more than a place to park and recover, while servicing your tanks. My wife kept the "next exit" book with her as well as using the internet to find places as we drove, depending on where we were when we got tired. I think we only stayed in a rest area once. It's a bit more money but I preferred it to the Wal Mart stop overs, partly for the quiet, but mainly because with 4 people in the rig we needed to drain and fill more often. Easier to just book a spot than to try and find a random rest area with a dump station.
__________________
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
MN_Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Your original post implied that time was of the essence and limited. Several offered suggestions based on that. After this explanation, I have to ask why ask the question in the first place? You say you have plenty of time and under no big rush and that you are flexible. You can also work from your MH, so your job isn't an issue and you plan to sight see on a relaxing trip home. Somewhere, I missed your point.
Crasher - no need for flames. I would not have posted to this forum if the question were not meant to be interpreted within the context of using the DP to move him .. but within that context time is of the essence on the westbound leg - to get him there to get settled before his next position starts. I only said it would not be a disaster if the trailer arrives there later than wanted - but it would be extremely disruptive to him if he needs to move his stuff in after he has started his position. I am willing to make the push to try to make that "getting settled" more comfortable for him. My comment about working from the rig was restricted to the home-bound leg, where I am sure I will be in "recovery" mode. As a solo-driver, personally I believe trying to do the Va-Fresno leg in 4 days is stupid/dangerous, 5 days "doable" but would leave you shot, 6 days is more reasonable, and anything above that becomes much more comfortable. His timing makes the 5 days best ... hence my question re. how to do the trip to keep things moving (literally).

The comments in reply to my posting have been very helpful - and to those that offered those comments, I again thank you very, very much
__________________
- 2012 Fleetwood Expedition 36M -
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ & Plover, WI
Posts: 1,068
I didn't mean to flame you, however, as I read it now, it may have seemed that way. More info in your first post would have changed a number of responses. FWIW, we have made similar trips pulling a trailer (75' overall length) in a limited amount of time. I found that starting at 4am and drive for 3-4 hours at 62 mph. Stop for a potty break and a brisk 1/2 mile or longer walk. Stretch and get back in and drive till noon. Have light lunch, lay down for a 30-45 minute nap followed by another brisk walk and stretch. Repeat this sequence till 6 or 7pm and park for the night where ever you want. This ends up being a 14 hour day, but is broken up with several breaks with exercise. Driving 62-65 mph, which is not stressful, and taking the breaks I mentioned, I can average 50 mph from the time I start till I stop. 600 miles per day is easy to do and still get needed exercise and eight hours of sleep. By starting early, it's psychologically uplifting to have over 300 miles in by noon. Good luck, be safe and enjoy your time with your son.
__________________
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #21
iRV2 Forum Advocate


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 958
To address your inquiry about Flying J, Pigman1 mentioned that Flying J s don't have dedicated RV spots however, there are a few that do. We've been to several out west that have dedicated RV overnight* parking. I've included a a link that will list them (among other amenities) from a couple of years ago if it will help. However, some that list dedicated RV parking do not have lots of spots so just as Pigman1 said of the truck parking, you may have to get there early in order to get a spot.

Pilot and Flying J RV Travel Guide
PDF

We've used Google satelite view to check ahead to see how many and where the RV parking is located. For instance, we've overnighted at the Barstow California Flying J several times. You can see the RV parking just to the left of the gas pumps in the lower left of the image and it appears that there are about 14 spots ...CLICK




* I once asked inside at a Flying J whether it was okay to overnight in their RV parking and she looked at me like I should have already known and said "of course! absolutely!" So sometimes I don't even ask anymore unless I'm inside for something else. Not sure if it's still their policy or not but it may be a good idea to ask inside just in case.
__________________
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 5,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
To address your inquiry about Flying J, Pigman1 mentioned that Flying J s don't have dedicated RV spots however, there are a few that do. We've been to several out west that have dedicated RV overnight parking. I've included a a link that will list them (among other amenities) from a couple of years ago if it will help. However, some that list dedicated RV parking do not have lots of spots so just as Pigman1 said of the truck parking, you may have to get there early in order to get a spot.

Pilot and Flying J RV Travel Guide
PDF

We've used Google satelite view to check ahead to see how many and where the RV parking is located. For instance, we've overnighted at the Barstow California Flying J several times. You can see the RV parking just to the left of the gas pumps in the lower left of the image and it appears that there are about 14 spots ...CLICK

Many if not most of the Flying J locations do have Dedicated RV spots in front or to the side of the store. Many times the spaces are short. We have parked back with the trucks on many occasions. I generally prefer Walmart however.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #23
iRV2 Forum Advocate


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Many if not most of the Flying J locations do have Dedicated RV spots in front or to the side of the store. Many times the spaces are short. We have parked back with the trucks on many occasions. I generally prefer Walmart however.
I'm thinking that those listed on that list are the ones that have the longer and maybe more plentiful lanes for as you can see, there aren't that many designated on that list but as you have said, most do have some sort of RV parking.

But yes, that's why we use that satellite view to see what the surrounding area look like and if we can spot the RV spaces in their lot to see how long they are.


eta: nevermind, the ones that don't have RV parking designated are mostly Pilots so you are correct that most Flying Js do.
__________________
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
MN_Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 368
Cross Country in the Shortest Time Feasible

Null
__________________
- 2012 Fleetwood Expedition 36M -
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
MN_Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
To address your inquiry about Flying J, Pigman1 mentioned that Flying J s don't have dedicated RV spots however, there are a few that do. We've been to several out west that have dedicated RV overnight* parking. I've included a a link that will list them (among other amenities) from a couple of years ago if it will help.

Theroc- sounds like I can't count on the flying J's for sure, but funny that I have been eyeing the Barstow location as a probable stopping point! Thanks. I will also make sure I take a close look at that link. Thank you again.
__________________
- 2012 Fleetwood Expedition 36M -
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
MN_Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I didn't mean to flame you, however, as I read it now, it may have seemed that way. More info in your first post would have changed a number of responses. FWIW, we have made similar....By starting early, it's psychologically uplifting to have over 300 miles in by noon. Good luck, be safe and enjoy your time with your son.
Crasher- no worries, as I tell my students, "communication is hard" 😞. Actually, what you wrote as your approach is very close to what i am thinking for myself. While I am not normally a morning person, when on the road (at least when alone) I tend to wake up way early, so your objective of 300 miles before noon (and then a nap!) should work for me😊. Btw - I owe you a beer (or whatever is your choice). I will IM you with my personal information to put some teeth in to that...
__________________
- 2012 Fleetwood Expedition 36M -
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #27
iRV2 Forum Advocate


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Theroc- sounds like I can't count on the flying J's for sure, but funny that I have been eyeing the Barstow location as a probable stopping point! Thanks. I will also make sure I take a close look at that link. Thank you again.
Sure, you bet. As Steve said, I think most of the Flying J's will have parking. Pilots, not so much.

And those two links I think will both give you an "Error 400 (Bad Request)!!1" notification but if you just click on the "Continue to External Link --->" button it will take you to the both the Pilot/Flying J brochure and the satellite view of the Barstow Flying J (again, you can see the RV parking lanes at the bottom left corner of the image.
__________________
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:01 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
guardrail53's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: anywhere U.S.A, Currently back home in Thailand!
Posts: 1,493
MN_Traveler, if you are going from MN. to WV. then to Fresno, CA. that changes things. Also, will you be helping pack the U-haul too, or just hooking up to a already packed up unit? Also, Fresno is in the middle of CA. Your helping your son do this is a vary cool thing, and it is very doable just allow plenty of time to do it? I think your 5 days from WV to middle CA. Is plenty of time! There are plenty of places to stop along I-40 so finding one will be easy, just remember, stop early, leave early! With just you in the MH, your on board water will be plenty, and if your tanks get full dump them! Remember going across the Mohave desert, it gets very hot this time of year, so going across that stretch at night or very early is best! I would not worry about the U-haul too much, but I would keep a close eye on the tires and their air pressure! You should find that pulling it should reduce the tail wagging the dog considerably! And have fun on your way back home, and run the northern route back. Much better temperature wise for sure! Enjoy, Rail!
__________________

__________________
Retired, and "Always on Holiday!"
1996 Monaco Windsor 38PB, "Mona" 275 HP., 8.3 Cummins, 3060 Allison 6 speed
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
test



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this feasible? Inthervlife Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion 9 05-09-2014 12:33 PM
Is it even feasible to put a camper on a nwcountry Truck Camper Discussion 26 12-17-2012 12:21 PM
computers in the basement--is this feasible? wildbill001 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 16 10-29-2012 07:56 PM
Newbie - Country Coach - headed cross country QGreen New Member Check-In 2 08-23-2012 03:22 PM
Is a CNG conversion feasible for a W22 8.1 L engine DGBPokes Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 16 04-14-2011 04:09 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.