Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To answer the OP's question, I'd say you've got the right plan. My choice is walmart first, truck stop 2nd, rest area 3rd. I like walmarts or truckstops better because the stop can be used for multiple purposes (you can get food/fuel at the same place you stop).
There are multiple apps out there, I like the allstays app (online or for android/iphone). It seems to be kept up to date by users.

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
While I agree with others that you should utilize a mover and plane ticket, that wasn't your question, now, was it?

LOL. So many different perspectives. Blang gets it right above though. My question was specific - this is not about planes, movers, or automobiles ... It is about the opportunity personallyto help my son with something that he needs. Price (within limits) is secondary. Besides ... I LIKE driving the DP (and every time we get on the road we run the risk of running afoul of other drivers...). I probably misrepresented the time: I am allowing up to six days for the westward run, might consider shooting for five if I feel ok, will only do four if something happens and I absolutely need to. I personally have flexibility, so it is not the end of the world if he needs to run ahead in his car and I get there later... I considered the option of doing some sightseeing on the way back to MN from Fresno, but will not gave a tow car, so my flexibility is limited 😞. I can actually work remotely from the rig, so on the return to MN I have the option of recovering and taking easy days (limited by how soon my DW wants me back at the house. Rig and generator are in great shape .. Except for food maybe I should be ok as a solo driver for up to 6-8 days without dumping and water refill. I'll take to heart the "early in to the flying J (or other truck stops .. I was not aware they fill that early??? So far I tend to like walmarts also ...

Thanks again for all the thoughts!!

Old 07-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
LOL. So many different perspectives. Blang gets it right above though. My question was specific - this is not about planes, movers, or automobiles ... It is about the opportunity personallyto help my son with something that he needs. Price (within limits) is secondary. Besides ... I LIKE driving the DP (and every time we get on the road we run the risk of running afoul of other drivers...). I probably misrepresented the time: I am allowing up to six days for the westward run, might consider shooting for five if I feel ok, will only do four if something happens and I absolutely need to. I personally have flexibility, so it is not the end of the world if he needs to run ahead in his car and I get there later... I considered the option of doing some sightseeing on the way back to MN from Fresno, but will not gave a tow car, so my flexibility is limited 😞. I can actually work remotely from the rig, so on the return to MN I have the option of recovering and taking easy days (limited by how soon my DW wants me back at the house. Rig and generator are in great shape .. Except for food maybe I should be ok as a solo driver for up to 6-8 days without dumping and water refill. I'll take to heart the "early in to the flying J (or other truck stops .. I was not aware they fill that early??? So far I tend to like walmarts also ...

Thanks again for all the thoughts!!
Your original post implied that time was of the essence and limited. Several offered suggestions based on that. After this explanation, I have to ask why ask the question in the first place? You say you have plenty of time and under no big rush and that you are flexible. You can also work from your MH, so your job isn't an issue and you plan to sight see on a relaxing trip home. Somewhere, I missed your point.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #18

We recently moved from Va to SoCal. If you take 40 across there are several RV "parks" right off the highway that are really little more than a place to park and recover, while servicing your tanks. My wife kept the "next exit" book with her as well as using the internet to find places as we drove, depending on where we were when we got tired. I think we only stayed in a rest area once. It's a bit more money but I preferred it to the Wal Mart stop overs, partly for the quiet, but mainly because with 4 people in the rig we needed to drain and fill more often. Easier to just book a spot than to try and find a random rest area with a dump station.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Your original post implied that time was of the essence and limited. Several offered suggestions based on that. After this explanation, I have to ask why ask the question in the first place? You say you have plenty of time and under no big rush and that you are flexible. You can also work from your MH, so your job isn't an issue and you plan to sight see on a relaxing trip home. Somewhere, I missed your point.
Crasher - no need for flames. I would not have posted to this forum if the question were not meant to be interpreted within the context of using the DP to move him .. but within that context time is of the essence on the westbound leg - to get him there to get settled before his next position starts. I only said it would not be a disaster if the trailer arrives there later than wanted - but it would be extremely disruptive to him if he needs to move his stuff in after he has started his position. I am willing to make the push to try to make that "getting settled" more comfortable for him. My comment about working from the rig was restricted to the home-bound leg, where I am sure I will be in "recovery" mode. As a solo-driver, personally I believe trying to do the Va-Fresno leg in 4 days is stupid/dangerous, 5 days "doable" but would leave you shot, 6 days is more reasonable, and anything above that becomes much more comfortable. His timing makes the 5 days best ... hence my question re. how to do the trip to keep things moving (literally).

The comments in reply to my posting have been very helpful - and to those that offered those comments, I again thank you very, very much
Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #20

I didn't mean to flame you, however, as I read it now, it may have seemed that way. More info in your first post would have changed a number of responses. FWIW, we have made similar trips pulling a trailer (75' overall length) in a limited amount of time. I found that starting at 4am and drive for 3-4 hours at 62 mph. Stop for a potty break and a brisk 1/2 mile or longer walk. Stretch and get back in and drive till noon. Have light lunch, lay down for a 30-45 minute nap followed by another brisk walk and stretch. Repeat this sequence till 6 or 7pm and park for the night where ever you want. This ends up being a 14 hour day, but is broken up with several breaks with exercise. Driving 62-65 mph, which is not stressful, and taking the breaks I mentioned, I can average 50 mph from the time I start till I stop. 600 miles per day is easy to do and still get needed exercise and eight hours of sleep. By starting early, it's psychologically uplifting to have over 300 miles in by noon. Good luck, be safe and enjoy your time with your son.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #21
iRV2 Forum Advocate

Winnebago Owners Club
To address your inquiry about Flying J, Pigman1 mentioned that Flying J s don't have dedicated RV spots however, there are a few that do. We've been to several out west that have dedicated RV overnight* parking. I've included a a link that will list them (among other amenities) from a couple of years ago if it will help. However, some that list dedicated RV parking do not have lots of spots so just as Pigman1 said of the truck parking, you may have to get there early in order to get a spot.

Pilot and Flying J RV Travel Guide
PDF

We've used Google satelite view to check ahead to see how many and where the RV parking is located. For instance, we've overnighted at the Barstow California Flying J several times. You can see the RV parking just to the left of the gas pumps in the lower left of the image and it appears that there are about 14 spots ...CLICK

* I once asked inside at a Flying J whether it was okay to overnight in their RV parking and she looked at me like I should have already known and said "of course! absolutely!" So sometimes I don't even ask anymore unless I'm inside for something else. Not sure if it's still their policy or not but it may be a good idea to ask inside just in case.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
To address your inquiry about Flying J, Pigman1 mentioned that Flying J s don't have dedicated RV spots however, there are a few that do. We've been to several out west that have dedicated RV overnight parking. I've included a a link that will list them (among other amenities) from a couple of years ago if it will help. However, some that list dedicated RV parking do not have lots of spots so just as Pigman1 said of the truck parking, you may have to get there early in order to get a spot.

Pilot and Flying J RV Travel Guide
PDF

We've used Google satelite view to check ahead to see how many and where the RV parking is located. For instance, we've overnighted at the Barstow California Flying J several times. You can see the RV parking just to the left of the gas pumps in the lower left of the image and it appears that there are about 14 spots ...CLICK

Many if not most of the Flying J locations do have Dedicated RV spots in front or to the side of the store. Many times the spaces are short. We have parked back with the trucks on many occasions. I generally prefer Walmart however.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #23
iRV2 Forum Advocate

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Many if not most of the Flying J locations do have Dedicated RV spots in front or to the side of the store. Many times the spaces are short. We have parked back with the trucks on many occasions. I generally prefer Walmart however.
I'm thinking that those listed on that list are the ones that have the longer and maybe more plentiful lanes for as you can see, there aren't that many designated on that list but as you have said, most do have some sort of RV parking.

But yes, that's why we use that satellite view to see what the surrounding area look like and if we can spot the RV spaces in their lot to see how long they are.

eta: nevermind, the ones that don't have RV parking designated are mostly Pilots so you are correct that most Flying Js do.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #24

Cross Country in the Shortest Time Feasible

Null
Old 07-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
To address your inquiry about Flying J, Pigman1 mentioned that Flying J s don't have dedicated RV spots however, there are a few that do. We've been to several out west that have dedicated RV overnight* parking. I've included a a link that will list them (among other amenities) from a couple of years ago if it will help.

Theroc- sounds like I can't count on the flying J's for sure, but funny that I have been eyeing the Barstow location as a probable stopping point! Thanks. I will also make sure I take a close look at that link. Thank you again.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I didn't mean to flame you, however, as I read it now, it may have seemed that way. More info in your first post would have changed a number of responses. FWIW, we have made similar....By starting early, it's psychologically uplifting to have over 300 miles in by noon. Good luck, be safe and enjoy your time with your son.
Crasher- no worries, as I tell my students, "communication is hard" 😞. Actually, what you wrote as your approach is very close to what i am thinking for myself. While I am not normally a morning person, when on the road (at least when alone) I tend to wake up way early, so your objective of 300 miles before noon (and then a nap!) should work for me😊. Btw - I owe you a beer (or whatever is your choice). I will IM you with my personal information to put some teeth in to that...
Old 07-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #27
iRV2 Forum Advocate

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Theroc- sounds like I can't count on the flying J's for sure, but funny that I have been eyeing the Barstow location as a probable stopping point! Thanks. I will also make sure I take a close look at that link. Thank you again.
Sure, you bet. As Steve said, I think most of the Flying J's will have parking. Pilots, not so much.

And those two links I think will both give you an "Error 400 (Bad Request)!!1" notification but if you just click on the "Continue to External Link --->" button it will take you to the both the Pilot/Flying J brochure and the satellite view of the Barstow Flying J (again, you can see the RV parking lanes at the bottom left corner of the image.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:01 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
MN_Traveler, if you are going from MN. to WV. then to Fresno, CA. that changes things. Also, will you be helping pack the U-haul too, or just hooking up to a already packed up unit? Also, Fresno is in the middle of CA. Your helping your son do this is a vary cool thing, and it is very doable just allow plenty of time to do it? I think your 5 days from WV to middle CA. Is plenty of time! There are plenty of places to stop along I-40 so finding one will be easy, just remember, stop early, leave early! With just you in the MH, your on board water will be plenty, and if your tanks get full dump them! Remember going across the Mohave desert, it gets very hot this time of year, so going across that stretch at night or very early is best! I would not worry about the U-haul too much, but I would keep a close eye on the tires and their air pressure! You should find that pulling it should reduce the tail wagging the dog considerably! And have fun on your way back home, and run the northern route back. Much better temperature wise for sure! Enjoy, Rail!

Tags
test