Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

Cross country trip

We're planning a trip from Georgia to California, up the coast to Oregon, back across country to Wisconsin, then down I-75 back to GA. We have a 34' Allegro with a V-10 chassis. The toad is a Honda Element. My concern is crossing the Rockies. We're planning to cross the mountains on the interstates and make side trips in the Element. Will the V-10 have the power to safely cross the mountains?
raburnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Should be no problem. It really depends on what your expectations are in getting across those mountains. If you expect to keep up with the DPs, forget that. But as far as overheating, just make sure your radiator has no issues and the coolant has been changed.

Likewise, going down them, gear down and don't put your rig in the position (speed wise) that you have to ride the brakes too much.

Dave
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

You should have no problem crossing the rockies. You may not break any speed records, but you will make it. Make sure all systems have been checked and/or serviced prior to trip. If you plan on any stays along the beach most state parks (especially in Washington) are booked for the summer. You will find some private parks and if staying during the weekdays you should be OK. If you know any places where you want to stay at a certian time make reservations now.

Enjoy
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice. The chassis is a 2011 with 10000 miles, but I will definitely have my mechanic service it and the toad before we leave. Also plan to have it serviced again mid-trip. I plan to drive only 200 - 300 miles per day and have at least 3 commercial parks at each stop. Not planning to stay at any national parks. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #5

Check out Lolos Extreme Cross Country Trips. Do a search and it will pop up. This family did a cross country trip every year for 12 yrs. It has a complete schedule of each trip and places to stop and avoid. Daily account of travel. A must read for anyone planning such a trip.I will do their Lake Powell trip in 2002r 2003. Must see places etc.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #6

Check this neat guide: Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers it gives detailed information for grades and hazards for all major highways. We will have one with us for a trip to Oregon this summer.

Remember the expert advice; go down a grade in the same gear you used on the way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raburnes View Post
We're planning a trip from Georgia to California, up the coast to Oregon, back across country to Wisconsin, then down I-75 back to GA. We have a 34' Allegro with a V-10 chassis. The toad is a Honda Element. My concern is crossing the Rockies. We're planning to cross the mountains on the interstates and make side trips in the Element. Will the V-10 have the power to safely cross the mountains?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Just a thought but if your schedule allows you may want to consider taking the Oregon coast from north to south. Most of the view spots are on the west side of the highway and easiest access if going south. If going south to north you have to cross traffic going into and out of the view areas.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
2X on Lolo's Extreme Cross Country RV Trips, a great place to start. I've made many trips to the west, the last two pulling a 17' Escape fiberglass trailer with a RAV4. I try to avoid interstates, and prefer National & State parks. If interested, 2011 & 2012 trips.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 1998 Pace Arrow with the V10. We traveled from Georgia to Washington state and all through the rockies in 2007, 08, and 09. The V10 held 4000 rpm on every mountain pass with no problem. Some drivers push them to the rev. limiter at 5200 rpm, but I don't think that is a good idea. At 4000 rpm you will passing most trucks and some cars. The most important thing to remember is to hold second gear going down and DO NOT ride the brakes. As long as you have the brakes on, the heat is building and at some point the brakes will fail. Let the speed build to 50 mph brake back to 35 let off the brakes and brake again at 35 and so on. This gives your brakes a chance to cool off between cycles. Ours is a 35 footer pulling a Honda, so we were pretty loaded.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Just a thought but if your schedule allows you may want to consider taking the Oregon coast from north to south. Most of the view spots are on the west side of the highway and easiest access if going south. If going south to north you have to cross traffic going into and out of the view areas.
Thanks for the tip, but we will be going south to north. We'll be driving about 4 - 5 hours between stops and stay 4 - 5 days at each stop while on the coast. We'll be doing our sightseeing in the toad. We have no set time-table.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
We have a 1998 Pace Arrow with the V10. We traveled from Georgia to Washington state and all through the rockies in 2007, 08, and 09. The V10 held 4000 rpm on every mountain pass with no problem. Some drivers push them to the rev. limiter at 5200 rpm, but I don't think that is a good idea. At 4000 rpm you will passing most trucks and some cars. The most important thing to remember is to hold second gear going down and DO NOT ride the brakes. As long as you have the brakes on, the heat is building and at some point the brakes will fail. Let the speed build to 50 mph brake back to 35 let off the brakes and brake again at 35 and so on. This gives your brakes a chance to cool off between cycles. Ours is a 35 footer pulling a Honda, so we were pretty loaded.
Ga traveler, that's great to hear. I was wondering about the rpm going up the mountains. I didn't want to push it to the limit. Downhill, I'll be shifting to lower gears and letting the rv transmission do most of the braking. Going downhill in the Smokies I seldom have to touch the brakes.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Check this neat guide: Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers it gives detailed information for grades and hazards for all major highways. We will have one with us for a trip to Oregon this summer.

Remember the expert advice; go down a grade in the same gear you used on the way up.
I just got one of these and it looks like it's going to be real handy.