Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I’ll stick with a TPMS. All my failures have occurred while driving down the highway. The TPMS went off immediately. I can also check the pressures from the drivers seat. It’s nice that the Crossfire isolates the tires In case of a failure,but how long until I’m aware of it? Especially with a slower leak, maybe due to a leaky hose extension. Driving several miles down the road with a tire or tires losing pressure is never a good thing. I would be interested in hearing from those who suffered a failure while using these systems.

This is definitely a concern of mine, I have had tires blow on my travel trailer and never knew until kind people flagged me down. I am hoping several people have had success with both systems working properly together before I make a final decision. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used Crossfires for 8 years on my Journey. Had a pro install them but replaced one myself. It is very doable but you have to plan your approach to the inner dually so you can connect the valve with the hand you are comfortable using without actually seeing the valve. The dial starts to show red if you are one psi over the Crossfire designed pressure and shows full red at 5 psi or over. If you never see red, then it is highly likely your device is defective. I check them before setting out and at every stop to drain the dog when I circle check the coach. I would not be without them. Previously had a TPMS that was a PIA when topping up tires and with the sensors leaking frequently. Crossfires eliminated these issues and in my opinion are grossly superior. Have never had a tire failure in 80,000 miles likely in part because you are able to quickly and easily identify the tire pressure in the duallys and adjust as necessary.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
OCM

I put the crossfire system on my 2000 Damon Ultrasport. You don't have to remove a tire, and with normal dexterity, and mechanical ability, anyone can install them. I have the 110psi on mine and haven't had to add air after 4000 mi. Highly recommend.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have crossfires with the dual TPMS mounts - couple of years now and no problems. Besides the obvious benefit, having one easy to get to port for adding air is my favorite feature.

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
For 80,000 miles I have used an IR gun on my tires every time I stop. Haven't ever noticed higher temps in the inside duals.

My tires will vary in temperature based on wind direction, sunlight and air pressure.

I also shoot my brakes on occasion, especially if I had a hard stop prior to checking the temps and never noticed any effect on the tire pressures.

If I was you I'd get an IR gun and keep track of your tire temperatures before I spent any money on that system.
Arch, how did you determine your " warning" temperature using the gun ?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #20

Crossfire equalizing tire valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
Arch, how did you determine your " warning" temperature using the gun ?

Great question!
TPMS has twice warned me early, while rolling, and saved 2 rear tires for me.
Once one tire on a dually goes down, without a warning, the other tire gets cord damage making it useless.
If a TPMS sensor leaks, it will still give you a warning.
Crossfire just shows, after you stop, that a tire leaked. No more, except for any collateral damage!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #21

I have used the Crossfire and a TPMS for years on my F-350 and again when I purchased my Tiffin. Along with keeping both inner and outer at the same pressure adding air is easy. You hook to the Crossfire and air goes into both tires at the same time. I will not be without the system.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used Cross-Fires on both coaches I have owned since 2005. Not always happy with the way they are mounted, can scratch the chrome wheels, but the video seems to have that problem licked. They work as stated, shift air back and forth between the wheels, indicates pressure, and allows one point fill up of air. I would not be without them and I am sure that they add life to the tires.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I'm on the other side. I don't think the Crossfire is necessary. Both the rear dual wheels are bolted to the same brake hub and the pressure rarely differs by more than 2psi.
Next time you are at a truck stop take a look at how many class 8 trucks have one.

I would prefer a good TPMS system to monitor tire pressure while driving, not just when stopped.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Groves
Also running Crossfire on my Newmar. It was already installed when I purchased the rig from previous owner. I've added a TPMS. This thread has been very informative.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I have used Crossfires for 8 years on my Journey. Had a pro install them but replaced one myself. It is very doable but you have to plan your approach to the inner dually so you can connect the valve with the hand you are comfortable using without actually seeing the valve. The dial starts to show red if you are one psi over the Crossfire designed pressure and shows full red at 5 psi or over. If you never see red, then it is highly likely your device is defective. I check them before setting out and at every stop to drain the dog when I circle check the coach. I would not be without them. Previously had a TPMS that was a PIA when topping up tires and with the sensors leaking frequently. Crossfires eliminated these issues and in my opinion are grossly superior. Have never had a tire failure in 80,000 miles likely in part because you are able to quickly and easily identify the tire pressure in the duallys and adjust as necessary.

Thanks for the response, so far no one has said they would remove the crossfires and like the benefits.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Crossfire - Dual Dynamics
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Are saying with a special wrench crossfire could be installed without removing the wheel, or the wrench is just good for removing both wheels during service?
Yes. My homemade wrench will allow me to not have to take the wheels off. I have big hands so while it's a slow process I have done it a few times.
All it is, is a long 1/2 inch wrench heated and bent at the open end. I had an extra long one that I sacrificed.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #28

American Coach Owners Club
Crossfire equalizing tire valve

I also use the crossfire system with individual valves for the TPMS sensors. Allows you to monitor each tire individually with a common valve to add air to both. They work well with the TPMS sensors.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2539.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	191536
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, valve