Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
CrossFires and Tire Pressure Monitoring

Planning on changing out our current Tire Monitor System and at the same time expand it to all 12 wheels when were in Toad mode. (System came stock with only 6 tires monitored, with the Tag missing. So will go with 8 for the rig, and four for the Toad.)

I like the concept of the the CrossFires for the duals. I suppose thes means I could go with one sensor for pressure per drive axle side. However, the tire temperature readings is also something I like to monitor.

Though I do not like to dismount a tire that is not being reparied or replaced. I do feel and 'in wheel' temperature sensor is preferred. So was wondering how those with CrossFire's get both tire temperatures, and do you do one Pressure Test off of the CrossFire, or is their a pass thru option to put inline from each wheel to the CrossFire? (Sorry if what I asked is not clear, as I know what I'm asking - just not positive how to word it!).

Best to all, and appreciate any input,

(Note: We have the first generation Smart Tire on 6 out of 8 of our Rigs tires. The batteries are at end of life (Sept 2003 build date of the coach, so the chassis wheels/tires/SmartTire were probably installed before then.). I have found sources to replace these, but our monitor is not expandible to 8 tires (from what I have been able to find out) and have not option for toad/trailer added tires. So, figure it is time to replace the full system.)

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
I have Cross-Fires on my duals and use one TPMS sensor to monitor each pair. The Cross-Fire is designed so that if there is a leak in one wheel the other tire in the pair will be protected and will still be at 80% of normal. So when you're reading the single TPMS sensor on the CrossFire in the event of a pressure loss you will either see it drop to 80% or to zero depending on which tire in the pair has lost pressure. If you set the alarm to sound at a pressure higher than the 80% point you will be alerted to the situation.

As for temperature, I do not monitor both wheels of the dual in real time. The TST sensors I am using display temperature but it isn't the actual wheel temp anyway, it's more like an ambient temp in the vicinity of the wheels.

Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are using a screw on sensor like a Pressure Pro then you can get by with one per wheel on the duals (Not one per tire) The reason I say this is simple, Let's say you have 100 PSI cross fires, which clamp off at 70 Your sensor is on the OUTER dual. if it says 70, it means inner is flat, if it's zero, (or less than 70) outer is flat, if it's over 70, then both tires are at that pressure.

Temp;s from one to the other won't be that much different.

SMART TIRE, which was the "in the tire" system, I do not see for sale any more. does not mean it's not out there, OR that there are not other in-the=tire systems.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote