Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
Crossing into Canada... Firearms

We are seriously considering a semi-cross country trip next Summer (Atlanta - Mt Rushmore - Yellowstone - Denver) but I was giving some thoughts to crossing into Canada when we are up in the Rushmore/Yellowstone area... As I am a redneck and don't travel without my firearms what is the policy and law concerning crossing into Canada via RV with a handgun and possibly long arms? Will they search the RV?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link that should answer all your questions.

Firearms and RV-ing information

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 05-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Crossing into Canada... Firearms

They might search the RV, they have the right if you want to enter Canada. To try and 'sneak' a weapon across the border has major consequences.

You will need a passport to enter Canada, your RV insurance will most likely cover you, but check with them and get any required evidence of coverage.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 05-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
US Citizens Taking Guns Into or Through Canada
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Old 05-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Here's a link that should answer all your questions.

Firearms and RV-ing information
I couldn't get some of the links in this reference to work.

The bottom line for Canada is NO handguns under any circumstances. Long guns with a permit and fee paid but I believe you need to get the permit BEFORE crossing and declaring it. Lots of specific restrictions. If you have a concealed carry permit in the US, some people are being asked "Where is your handgun?" rather than "Do you have any handguns?", so they know when they check your passport. If you have one hidden and they find it you can lose the rig as well as the gun and a lot of money. Do a Google search for official Canadian rules. A lot of people are putting out info on this that is not correct and may get you into deep DO-DO.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Old 05-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
No guns needed in Canada unless you are going to a competition or coming up to hunt big game or birds.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Old 05-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Rules already posted and yes there is a good chance your rig will be searched and dogs used ( mine was ) I was asked if I had any guns . When I answered at home in my safe but not with me I was asked how would I a poor American protect myself , with a smirk ... The dog walked around the outside and once I explained I wasn't dumb enough to bring them to Canada he smiled said good answer and let us through handguns are virtually prohibited in Canada .long guns with prior application for a permitted use ( hunting not self defense) can be taken in but it's not easy my suggestion ... If you truly don't travel without your guns then cross Canada off your to do list
Most Canadians will tell you you don't need a handgun in Canada for self defense as its illegal .. ��
2003 Beaver Marquis

Old 05-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
I do not have first hand knowledge, but I have read that IF crossing over and back at the same point (think Niagara Falls) people have paid a local gun store or pawn shop to safe store their weapons while they were in Canada.

Nearly all major hotel chains have large safes for customer's valuables.

I read of one man who rented a $25/month safe deposit box at a bank for his handguns while he was gone.

NOT crossing both over and back at the same point may complicate things.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
The best advice I would offer up is under NO circumstance try to sneak a hand gun across the border into Canada. What do you need it for anyway? The same holds true for long guns. Unless you are going on a hunting trip you have no use for it.
If you lie and get caught you are going to pay the price. And, that price is high. You might just end up sharing a cell with someone you don't even know.
Living near the Canadian border I know some Customs Agents and Border Patrol personnel. They are good people but have their jobs to do and rules to follow. They take their jobs seriously. If they knowingly let you slip through remember you have to come back. Get caught then and it would not only be you answering to the Man. Even you getting caught coming back across would be a headache for them if they didn't catch you on the way over. They know and understand this.
Claiming to be a so called "Redneck" is no excuse to try bending the rules.
There are auction sites where confiscated items are put up for sale which were seized at the border. I might end up owning your MH. Take good care of it for me. LOL
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
Don't lie about your guns at the border. You may lose your rig, get big fines and be denied entry. And when dealing with border guards on both sides, don't give smart-ass answers. I have heard that at some border crossings, there are facilities where you can lock up your guns on the US side and pick them up on the way back. You'll have to research that based on where you want to cross. Some of the small or less popular crossings may not have this service. You won't need guns in Canada, come up and relax and enjoy! It's not the US. If you come up in July to Calgary, Alberta, you can go to the worlds biggest rodeo "The Calgary Stampede" and from there you are only an hour and a half from Banff in the Canadian Rockies and beautiful British Columbia. Remember NOT to feed wildlife in Yellowstone and ALL parks. Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #11
I love Canada (and it's people). I was in the relationship with a wonderful Canadian Navy Captain (female), but she had to come across to visit me.

I was born in a military family. I grew up with guns. I carried a gun my whole life, and I feel naked without it. "Whether I'm going to need it or not" is not a question here.

I simply stay away from places that don't like my guns, my dogs, color of my skin, or my religion. And I can do that now,.....in my previous life I had to go to places where I was hated (for above reasons), but NO MORE.

My wallet, my phone, and my weapon are always on my person. IF the "rules" are such that prohibit this, I simply change my itinerary.
1995 Vogue Prima Vista
Old 05-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's stay on topic here as its drifting into other areas that the OP was not questioning.
Here's the topic
"what is the policy and law concerning crossing into Canada via RV with a handgun and possibly long arms? Wil they search the RV ?"

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 05-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #13
Crossing Canada with a Firearm

I have made two trips to Alaska and back through Canada. Both times we had a 12 GA. shotgun for bear protection. Had no trouble at the border. Just fill out the form Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police and give the form to the border police and declare the firearm at the border. It will cost $25 Canadian for a two month permit. It may take a few minutes but there was really no hassle. I would also recommend that you declare the firearm on the US side before you cross the border. They will give you a form that proves you brought the firearm with you from the US. That way when you re-enter the US there will be no question of where you got the firearm. I would recommend a 12 Ga. because it is conman to use that for animal protection. It will also be adequate for personal protection.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never mind the "comments" the rules are listed here and unless you enter Canada for sanctioned shooting match, pistols/revolvers/AR15's and their variants have to be left at home.

Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Brian & Nicola
2013 Discovery 40E "DISCO"
TOAD 2014 Wrangler
MiG & Xeena(German Shepards)
Closed Thread

ada, canada, fire