Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

Cruise Control

Hoping somebody can help. We just picked up a 1997 fleetwood southwind 32v. I noticed when we took it out for the first time the cruise control wasn't working. I assumed it was just a fuse but i see 2 fuse boxes under the hood and neither of them house a fuse for the cruise. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Check under the dash and also make sure there's no lift out sections of the dashboard hiding a fuse panel. In the two panels you've discovered, did you find fuses for lights, heater fan, brake lights, flashers, radio, etc? If not, there's another fuse panel hiding.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons36 View Post
Hoping somebody can help. We just picked up a 1997 fleetwood southwind 32v. I noticed when we took it out for the first time the cruise control wasn't working. I assumed it was just a fuse but i see 2 fuse boxes under the hood and neither of them house a fuse for the cruise. Any ideas?

Your 97 on a ford F53 chassis by any chance?
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMEDPHYS View Post
Your 97 on a ford F53 chassis by any chance?
Yes I believe it is the F53 chassis.

After speaking to couple people today i think the cruise was disconnected by the dealer a while ago due to a recall. It sounds like a call to my local Ford dealer can get it reconnected with the updated required parts. Now heres hoping i can get this done before our trip next week!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1985 Winnie no Cruise

We discovered we don't have an active cruise control on our 1985 Winnebago Chieftan 33'. I went to download the wiring diagrams and they start in 1990, so I'm SOL there. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for where??
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons36 View Post
Yes I believe it is the F53 chassis.

After speaking to couple people today i think the cruise was disconnected by the dealer a while ago due to a recall. It sounds like a call to my local Ford dealer can get it reconnected with the updated required parts. Now heres hoping i can get this done before our trip next week!

Precisely the reason I asked. Simple fix of a new fuse on a harness. Good luck!
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
We discovered we don't have an active cruise control on our 1985 Winnebago Chieftan 33'. I went to download the wiring diagrams and they start in 1990, so I'm SOL there. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for where??
You will get more help when you tell us what make/model chassis you have.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Old 07-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is a Chevrolet chassis
Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #9

Might have some ideas for Textronics here. I had a '92 Allegro built on the Chevy P32 chassis (454 gas engine). I had an intermittent cruise issue. I did some searching and found a fuse panel under the dash on the right side that Allegro had put in when they built it. The power to that fuse panel was fed through a solenoid which was mounted on the forward side of the firewall, on the driver's (left) side of the veh. That solenoid was a constant duty cycle type. When you turned on the ignition key it would energize the solenoid and allow 12v power to the fuse panel under that right side of the dash. The cruise was fed from that fuse panel. The solenoid was failing and often didn't power up that fuse panel when the key was turned on. Your rig isn't that far from that Allegro in age so it might be similarly wired. I don't remember what other items were powered from that small fuse panel but it wasn't much because there wasn't anything else not working that I remember. If you find such a panel use a volt meter to check and see if it's getting power fed to it. Then turn the key on and see. If it isn't getting any power, or is intermittent, look for a solenoid up front there. If you do have to buy one make sure it's a 100% duty cycle rated, meaning it's okay to be energized all the time for long periods of time. Hope this helps somebody.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Textronics, have you verified that the other parts are there and attached? Look for a vacuum operated pull cable attached with the throttle? Buttons on signal stalk or dashboard? I'm not sure how a '85 might be controlled, but make sure it's not more than just a pulled fuse.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
You might want to check the brake pedal. There is a switch on the pedal shaft to disconnect the cruise control when you touch the brake pedal. If the pedal isn't coming back up far enough to keep this switch closed, the cruise control won't work. Had that happen on a car once. Solution was to bend the bracket that the switch was mounted on so that it would function properly.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 07-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rear taillight is out, so looking at that first. The cruise control looks like a turn signal stalk, but it is in the left side of the steering column. It appears to be factory installed. I'll look for fuse once we replace the bulb. I know people mentioned the brake light failing might do it. Ours is backwards -- the brake light works, but the taillight does not. Strange.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On our 82 PA Chev 454 workhorse a vacuum line had fallen off @ the Carburetor hooked it back up and has worked ever since.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Might have some ideas for Textronics here. I had a '92 Allegro built on the Chevy P32 chassis (454 gas engine). I had an intermittent cruise issue. I did some searching and found a fuse panel under the dash on the right side that Allegro had put in when they built it. The power to that fuse panel was fed through a solenoid which was mounted on the forward side of the firewall, on the driver's (left) side of the veh. That solenoid was a constant duty cycle type. When you turned on the ignition key it would energize the solenoid and allow 12v power to the fuse panel under that right side of the dash. The cruise was fed from that fuse panel. The solenoid was failing and often didn't power up that fuse panel when the key was turned on. Your rig isn't that far from that Allegro in age so it might be similarly wired. I don't remember what other items were powered from that small fuse panel but it wasn't much because there wasn't anything else not working that I remember. If you find such a panel use a volt meter to check and see if it's getting power fed to it. Then turn the key on and see. If it isn't getting any power, or is intermittent, look for a solenoid up front there. If you do have to buy one make sure it's a 100% duty cycle rated, meaning it's okay to be energized all the time for long periods of time. Hope this helps somebody.
Hey Bob were you in South eastern Mn this past weekend? Saw a rig just like yours, @ our CG.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control