Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Cruise control/ exhaust brake

New to me a month ago this is different than the Cat in my prior rig.

it's an 8.3 ISB Cummings, was up in rt 64 N on 81 and going over some hills.

With cruise on it went really nice, better than I can do it myself.

But when I lost momentum up a grade due to traffic it was just dog slow in 4th doing 45 then 50 ish but giving it more throttle made no difference.

that that was strange?

Other than that all went great locked in at 65 for 600+ miles from Savannah Ga

Up a grade it would drop to 63 sometimes 62 but recovered to speed.

then I tried using the exhaust brake, that was smooth nothing like the old Cat in my HR that would slam into lower gears.

My question using it in conjunction with cruise down grade it would get up to 68-70.

Is the brake supposed to limit that?

What happen in real grades like out west, will it not slow down?

Should I turn off cruise down hill?

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On my Cummins/Allison the cruise control cannot be on when the exhaust brake is engaged. You can leave the exhaust brake switch on all the time and it will work as long as the cruise isn't on. To engage the exhaust brake when the cruise is on I just have to tap the brake pedal.

If you are going coming up on a steep grade you can drop a gear and get the RPM's up a little which will help you get across the hill. No matter you will loose speed and once you loose the momentum it's almost impossible to get it back causing a loss speed.

My coach is heavy with a 350 HP 8.3 ISC Cummins. My biggest obstacle is traffic, if there are big rigs in the right lane and they start slowing down I either have to make a decision to pass them on the grade or just stay tucked behind them. If there is traffic it can be difficult to do that, not to mention the faces/gestures I get from other motorists who got stuck behind me.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Your Pac Brake can be set to any of 3 modes.
Coast Mode- Engages exhaust brake when foot brake is engages and releases with the foot brake.

Latch Mode- (most common) Engages when brake pedal is engaged and remains engaged until throttle is applied, engine speed below is 800 rpm or PacBrake switch is turned off.

Manual Mode- Cruise control is not on and operates with the switch at the drivers discretion.

When the PAC brake is engaged the transmission wants to shift to 2nd gear. The computer will not allow the engine to overspeed so the transmission only downshifts when the rpm in the lower gear will not result in an overspeed. The target gear for braking can be adjusted by the computer as can the mode of operation above.

Recommend you start down a steep grade at the speed you want to maintain. (Start down no faster than you climbed the grade) If your speed is high, the tranny can't downshift without overspeeding and only being able to go from 5th to 4th gear on a 8-10% grade isn't going to slow you much at all.

Pac Brake Drivers Guide: http://pacbrake.com/wp-content/uploads/L5046.pdf
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake