Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cruise disconnects and blinker fails with brake

I have a 97 damon ultrasport pusher on a freightliner chassis, I am having issues with the right blinker as it will not flash when the brakes are applied. It does flash normal without brakes applied. While traveling on cruise control, if i apply the right blinker it cancels the cruise as if I've hit the brakes. Works fine with left blinker. I have disconnected the electric trailer brake sending unit and harness to trailer wiring connections to rule this out with no change. spent several $$$ having it traced at a repair facility with no fix. Next they want to replace cruise control module and pull steering wheel to replace blinker control. Any ideas before they just start parts changing. Not as it matters but it has about 50k miles total. Bryan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you checked to see if you have a good light bulb or if the RR socket is not working correctly. If the ground in the socket is lost, you may be feeding power from the turn signal through the brake filament back into the brake system, thereby canceling the cruise. Just thought, just my two cents...

teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
Have you checked to see if you have a good light bulb or if the RR socket is not working correctly. If the ground in the socket is lost, you may be feeding power from the turn signal through the brake filament back into the brake system, thereby canceling the cruise. Just thought, just my two cents...

Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

Had a brake light bulb short the filaments together. When I turned on the headlights the right blinker light would light up dimly.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #5

If you're not willing/able to do the work yourself, I think you need a second opinion. Sounds like you've already given this outfit enough of your money. Just sayin...
Old 06-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
If you're not willing/able to do the work yourself, I think you need a second opinion. Sounds like you've already given this outfit enough of your money. Just sayin...
thanks for the reply's, I have checked the lamps and sockets, and appear to be ok, change the lamp as a precaution. and as said before I disconnected some auxlliary items to take them out of issue. I am pretty handy but before spending additional money on parts I was looking for other opinions
Old 06-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #7

Did you try it with the bulb out and see if the cruise cancels when you turn on the signal?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Did you try it with the bulb out and see if the cruise cancels when you turn on the signal?
\My thought also; it sounds like there's a 'dead short' somewhere in the system and my bet it's at the tail light end of the wire. As this is happening as your driving one more (had this happen to me with the Jeep Liberty) is there has to be a one-way power (can't remember for the life of me what the heck they're called) switch. Without these in the line you get power feed back; not a good thing.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just removed all the stop/turn and or park lamps 2 front and 3 rear for right side, turned on blinker and hit brakes and interior turn indicator stopped flashing. looks like it going to be in the turn signal column assembly or a wiring issue. hate to cut wire but might have to separate front signals from rear and try and isolate the issue.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #10

Are you saying that your turn signal worked as it should with all right side bulbs removed and then when you hit the brakes it stopped working altogether? I would not have expected it to work at all with the bulbs removed. Did you have a chance to see if the cruise control worked when you hit the brakes with bulbs out?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
no, Barlow. I assume if it wont flash when brakes are applied i still have the issue. I am going to add a jumper ground or an additional ground to the lamp socket to eliminated the grounding issue first, they have 3157 rear lamps. the type that just push in. hard to inspect the socket and the socket holder and light fixture are plastic, so no ground from it. tomorrow evening i will have a better idea and will have ruled out a bad ground.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #12

Do you have the "high idle" feature on your cruise? Where you can set and hold the engine at 1000 rpm? If so, you might be able to test using that feature?

When you say the right turn will not flash with the brakes on, is the turn signal indicator on the dash lit, or is it out?

Do you have a trailer harness set up on this coach? If so, have you tried disconnecting that?

When the turn signal is on, are all the lights flashing that are supposed to, possibly including lights on the side of the coach? Any extras that should not be flashing? Same with brake lights (those that are supposed to be on/extras)?

Does having the running lights on affect the issue? Are any of those blinking with the turn signal on?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yes to all, ahicks, with the exception of fast idle
Old 06-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
FW

bcbrowne; I had the same issue as your first three sentences on a ford
class C. I had checked all the regular fuses for the motor home. It was a second mini-fuse for the chassis.

FW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake