Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

Cruise Lift for Motorcycle. Anyone have one?

Have a DSDP, 38.5 with Cat 330HP. Want to take my Harley Ultra Classic and tow my suburban. Was looking at the Cruise lift. Was wondering if anyone has one how they like it and if they have had any issues?
Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
thought one needed a tag axle in order to handle the weight.......

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japper Dan View Post
Have a DSDP, 38.5 with Cat 330HP. Want to take my Harley Ultra Classic and tow my suburban. Was looking at the Cruise lift. Was wondering if anyone has one how they like it and if they have had any issues?
Well Sir,
Nope, I really can't help you with the Cruiser lift. We used the Hydralift on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT. I studied all the available lift/carriers when choosing and, based on all things considered, the Hydralift won hands down. Yep, they're a bit pricey, no doubt about that but, also, without a doubt, they're the best lift/carrier on the market. They're the most stable and have the least amount of moving parts. I could go on but, this is not what you asked for.

Your 38.5 coach will do just fine. One thing I will caution you on is, if you don't already know it, check your rear axle weight rating. I knew way in advance that I was going to be overweight after installing our Hydralift and carrying an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing.

So, if you're sure of your ratings and capabilities, then you'll not have any issues. If you don't do the mounting of the lift yourself, just make sure that whom ever does it, that they set it up so that you're using good frame attachment points. Most places that have experience in mounting any of the available models/brands, pretty much know this.

I've got plenty of experience in mounting, setting it up for instant removal for engine access and maintenance, and more. PM me if you'd like some help.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
thought one needed a tag axle in order to handle the weight.......
No Sir, a tag is not needed. A tag would definitely be better. I did it just fine with our 36' Diesel. I had none of the so-called catastrophic events that were supposed to happen as the result of putting that much extra weight on the rear of a 36' coach. Anyway, as long as the OP is cognizant of all that's involved, which is a fair amount, he will be fine.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

I have a Cruiserlift on our 41' Gulf Stream. I do not have a tag axle but after doing the weight calculations and weighing both front and rear axles I concluded that while I would exceed the rear axle limit but only by a couple hundred lbs. had the lift installed three years ago and have been all over the country carrying a 750 lb Honda VTX with no issue.

I agree that the HydraLift is a better looking and possible a more stable platform, but I haven't had any issues so from a value standpoint, would vote for the CruiserLift.

Dennis
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Jasper

I took the advice of Scott (Fire Up) and bought the Hydra Lift.

It works as advertised! I also installed it via the bolt on method in lieu of welding it to my frame. Quick connects for the hydrolic lines will aid in easy removal if necessary.

My only complaint is what I feel is the lack of tie down points on the lift.

To correct that I welded an aluminum frame together then bolted it to the lift with stainless steel bolts, lock washers and lock nuts. Thereby allowing me the option of installing tie down points where I see fit.

I'll keep trying but I have no idea how to post pictures to this site.

Lenny
Old 01-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have an Overbilt on my Phaeton. One of the reasons for my choice is that they are located about an hour south of my home. I had looked at the lift in person before and was well satisfied with the design and construction. The location allowed me to go direct and have the lift installed by them.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Jasper

I took the advice of Scott (Fire Up) and bought the Hydra Lift.

It works as advertised! I also installed it via the bolt on method in lieu of welding it to my frame. Quick connects for the hydrolic lines will aid in easy removal if necessary.

My only complaint is what I feel is the lack of tie down points on the lift.

To correct that I welded an aluminum frame together then bolted it to the lift with stainless steel bolts, lock washers and lock nuts. Thereby allowing me the option of installing tie down points where I see fit.

I'll keep trying but I have no idea how to post pictures to this site.

Lenny
Lenny,
Glad all is working out for you with the Hydralift. Isn't it nice to be able to drop that lift in a heartbeat for engine maintenance, and other reasons? And yep, if I didn't tell you before, I too had to "re-invent" some additional tie-downs for our Honda Goldwing. I welded up an additional front section that I bolted to the undercarriage of the lift. That allowed me to put more tie-downs in and at, precise angles to better stabilize that Wing.

As for posting pics on here. It's not too hard. You can do it at least, two ways. One, and the most easiest, is when you're posting or, answering a post, if you look down below where it states "submit your reply", you'll see "manage attachments".

If you click on that, you'll see a drop-in menu with several lines for numerous pictures that you can add. To the right of that group of lines is "Browse". Do not confuse that Browse with the one next to the "add video" just below the text box you type in when answering.

When you click on the browse, you'll be sent to what ever last set of pictures you were looking at. If the ones you want to post are in that group, select one. If it's in a different area like a SD camera card or, flash drive etc., then simply go into where ever those pictures are that you're looking for and click on one.

Then, it will bounce you back to that group of lines. Then, hit Browse again and, it will bounce you right back to the group of pictures you were just at. Select another one and, so on and so on......

Once that's all done, then at the bottom of that group of lines is "Upload". When you click on that, it will take all the pictures you've selected and, upload them to the text box you answered in.

Then, just click on "submit Reply". Try that and see if it works for you. If not, PM me and, I'll walk you through it.

Sorry to the OP here. Just a bit of help to this gent to post pics.
Scott
Old 01-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #8

Scott,
Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.
Yes! I see many advantages with no disadvantages to bolting on the lift.

On a side note, I do in fact have a gage which displays the amps being used. I just had to scroll through some settings.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Here are the pics, hopefully!
Old 01-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Fire Up,
You say you know your axle is overloaded, and I'm glad nothing catastrophic has happened, but did you do anything to increase its capacity, like air bags ? Did you exceed the tire capacity and did you do anything to help there, like increasing the load rating? Seems dangerous, but it seems to work. Just wondering, and want to add to my bag of tricks from your bag of tricks. Thanks
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Hey Fire Up,
You say you know your axle is overloaded, and I'm glad nothing catastrophic has happened, but did you do anything to increase its capacity, like air bags ? Did you exceed the tire capacity and did you do anything to help there, like increasing the load rating? Seems dangerous, but it seems to work. Just wondering, and want to add to my bag of tricks from your bag of tricks. Thanks
TonyMac,
Well, everything I did was a calculated-educated RISK. The coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, already has air bags for it's suspension. So, there was/is nothing to be done there to bolster the carrying capacity. As for the tires, that was the primary reason we decided to discontinue the carrying of the bike in that fashion. I was 2100 lbs. over the rear suspension/tire rating. We did it that way for over 8,000 miles without issue.

All the know-it-alls said the coach would wander, the front end would porpoise, there would be a massive weight transfer off the front end, and more. NEVER HAPPENED! The result of putting the lift and the bike on that particular coach, raised the front end, are you sitting down, ONE SIXTEETH of an inch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, the weight difference on that front axle was a massive, ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE pounds!!!! I don't mean to be TOO sarcastic here but, it was my choice and I worked with it, and we, the bike AND THE COACH survived! But, as stated, over loading the tires was the primary reason for the change. I was close to 1100 lbs. per side, over weight. That meant each rear tire was close to 550-600 lbs. over weight.

My thoughts were, if I were to blow one of those rear duals, the remaining tire would all of a sudden, be 1100 lbs. over weight. Not good. Could I have increased size of the rear tires and therefore increased the load carrying capability, sure. But, to increase the rears without doing the same to the fronts, not a good plan. And, based on certain circumstances, I could have only increased the tire size by a slight amount. I'm running the 255 80R 22.5s right now. I could have gone to say, 265s or possibly 275s and maybe come close to meeting the over load but, the rear axle rating was still overloaded.

So, for a year and a half to two, we ran that way and I loved carrying that bike that way. We could have any toad we wanted and still have the bike too. But, based on circumstances and other desires, "we" decided it was time for the Hydralift to vacate. I was ultra-sad to see it removed for the final time. I did the install and, while it was ton of work, it was fun at the same time. I've done all my own fabrication/metal work for decades and installing that thing was a fair challenge.

But, we've moved on and, have been hauling the Wing in/on a Rampage lift/carrier in the back of our present toad, an '11 GMC Sierra Extended Cab 1500 4x4. Now the truck takes all the weight.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Wish them made a carrier for three bikes..
Just had to go to a box trailer. to many toys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twins-73-74.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	115622   Click image for larger version

Name:	74-185.gif
Views:	34
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	115623  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDmc1.jpg