Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #15

Not me lots of others

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I don't know why you have teeth chattering experiences.. I have only felt cold inside my rig under two conditions:
1: Before we went full time I stored it for the winter in my back yard.. Since my Ham Shack is in the motor home, not the stick house. I visited daily to get on the radio.. I only heated the "Shack" room (Smallest room in the rig) and then only when I was in it so it was COLD when I first entered.. This was to be expected.

2: On one of my trips out west I checked the forecast.. "Low tonight ninteen (positive 19) so we parked, turned on the furnace and ... Later in the night felt a bit chilly... Got up, checked the outside temp on the thermometers (Note it was still in the 60's indoors) and let's say the weatherman had missed by a few degrees.. It was not 19.. it was six.. BELOW.

Fired the engine up and added the dash heater to the rig as we headed for someplace warmer so the water system could thaw out.

Thankfully I'd thought to have a couple of containers of water INDOORS where they did not freeze.

If you notice I don't need it and said so. I have the Step Warmfloor which I did mention on other posts but no interest from others. I'm attempting to remember how I found this last week but the mind is.............not cooperating. I do know this. Propane as heat is expensive and gets more so the colder it gets though I never did a test myself. Most people worry if they will have any battery power in the morning if it's really cold and the furnace keeps kicking into action. It's basically very hard to use two 1500 watt heaters and not overload. For example, two heaters running and the wife uses the hair drier. Since I'm boondocking 90% of the time running a generator isn't going to make me happy either. Mine runs off the propane tank. Kind of hard to get filled in the woods.

I'd rather hear people successfully heating their MH's rather than be cold but my post is for those whose teeth are chattering in the morning.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi WOODYDEL,
I hope this keeps to your theme of hearing from people who successfully heat their coaches. My apology for not elaborating on my first post. For me, the OP was not clear as to what your need is. Too your credit I have put the link, in the OP, in my HVAC folder. One never knows when this might fit my needs. I guess I should have mentioned this earlier, just to provide you a measure of confidence that your post was read and carefully considered.

I hope you don't mind, but another solution has been successful. For me, at this time, I will stick with it.

If one wants to increase the size of their propane capacity, go to
Mr Heater Corp - Stay A While Deluxe - Propane Hoses and Adapters - Camping World and read about this product. I've used one of these for years. It works as advertised and I would make the same purchase again. In the winter I carry 2 20# bottles of propane in addition to a full coach tank.

If one wants to keep your batteries charged, consider purchasing a small generator that runs on gas. To run just the battery charger doesn't take much generator power. The small units will run a very long time on a small amount of fuel.

As to those whose teeth are chattering not posting enough to satisfy you, maybe there aren't that many who camp like you do or worry, as much as you do, about this topic. A variety of solutions are available. Unfortunately, there is no free lunch. One needs to choose a solution that fits their needs and determine their own business case.

While the thread was started by you, several members have done their best to post what they thought was a valid response. In addition, one never knows who reads the thread and might pick up valuable information, even if the post may not have provided an answer the OP wanted.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Still waiting on pricing say for 42,000 unit. Post #13
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #18

The largest gasoline powered unit shown is 18,000btu. I called thermoking Houston (dealer) asking for a price. List is $3400 and they offer a 10% discount...ooooweeee. Would need 2 at that size to heat our coach. Dont think a $6000 heat solution is going to happen....

neat idea though. Just far too expensive.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
They have to come down to even make the 42,000 BTU thats why you do not see them in motor homes, thanks for the info jcthorne.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #20

All FACTORY DIRECT PRICES 11/29/10

AQUA HOT 450D $9595.62
AQUA HOT 600D $12542.
AQUA HOT 375D $8801.
AQUA HOT 375LP $DITTO

I won't bother you with this. I never said CHEAP.

Why not look for more inflated prices.

Have a good day. Really sorry to have bother you.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #21

Just a clarification because of how I worded the previous post. Those are NOT the prices for what I was talking about. That's AQUA HOT'S PRICES. They don't have dealers either. They have RV guys who buy them and mark them up and install them. Those prices you see are the REAL prices. Those prices include three exchangers and controls. The prices also include 100 feet of PEX!

Those are the prices for what others think are better. Aqua Hot is installed in high end coaches. The price is hidden in the high price of the coach.

Mostly the Aqua Hot's are overly complicated. Some have electrical requirements which you will not find in 99.9% of the campgrounds you inhabit.

The ones I'm talking about are from ESPAR. For the repeatedly demanded price of a unit which can provide 42,000 BTU's. It's a huge $1753.54. It's not a price from shopping around for the lowest price either. That's a HYDRONIC UNIT. It has no wacky electrical backup. It's purpose is for you to NOT have to be hooked up. The universal kit to install all sizes in a motorhome is $375. A KIT as in YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF.

So this post's only purpose to to clear up those fantastic prices you see up above. I would never suggest AQUA HOT.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks WOODY that more reasonable for what it does and maybe to have more silence.
You didn't bother me, just the tone of the bother.