Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #1

Crummy heaters

Just why are we stuck with these crummy heaters. You get down to freezing temperatures and everyone is convinced that teeth chattering is normal. Now I don't need this with my radiant heat but maybe some of you do. Diesel or gasoline doesn't matter. Put these heaters wherever you like. Throw out that stinking lousy gas heater. I've watched some posts where even the high end MH's are giving people fits. Just my thinking that these are very good highly efficient heaters. You can even do it YOURSELF.

Espar | Worldwide Leader in Marine & Vehicle Heaters

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Can you say Aqua-Hot? Endless hot water and even heat.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can't complain about my gas furnace and heated tank compartments either at 1* in Nappanee, IN. in January.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi WOODYDEL,
My heat pumps or furnace keep my coach toasty warm. The coach will get uncomfortably warm and I usually must move the T'stat to a lower temp. My gas furnace also heats the basement utility bay so the tanks stay cozy too.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi WOODYDEL,
My heat pumps or furnace keep my coach toasty warm. The coach will get uncomfortably warm and I usually must move the T'stat to a lower temp. My gas furnace also heats the basement utility bay so the tanks stay cozy too.
Same here.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We go Snowmobiling. Been at Yellowstone at 37. Below Zero; On hookups had the furnace set at 64, degrees It was nice and tostie. In the morning started the gen. Tocharge the batterys and do Breakfast, This worked for Two weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	6823  
Old 11-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto to the warmth of our heat. With the added heat that comes from the heated floor, I can't complain even in the 18 degree weather we had this past year in Ocala, FL.

Dave
Old 11-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #8

I know about aqua hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
Can you say Aqua-Hot? Endless hot water and even heat.
You already know I'm not referring to high end coach owners with aqua hot. Nobody is going to buy an aqua hot system and install it themselves. The units I'm referring to will help all the "poor" folks and they can be installed anywhere. There are far more people without good heating than those with. They even have a version for gas powered coaches.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #9

Heat pumps have limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi WOODYDEL,
Heat pumps are useless under 35 degrees and you have to be hooked up or run your generator. Glad to hear your furnace works.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #10

My furnace sure does heat the coach but the temp can vary and the unit is very noisy. We use a tower type space heater that works very well unless it gets very cold and it is almost noisless.

We have two heat pump/AC units and if the temps are 40 and above the heat pump works pretty good, but again, the system can be noisy with the fans on high.

I looked into Aqua Hot and it would cost at least $6000 for a unit. Sure would be nice but the cost is prohibitive.

Has anyone done anything to their furnace to make it quireter?

Note: We stay in a lot of state parks and usually there is only 30 AMP service. This limits what we can do with two heat pumps.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #11

I almost never hook up. Watching out for battery power usage when using the heat is a pain and the furnace is noisy. To make it easier to evaluate what I'm talking about here are a few links to good info.

This will take you to the Espar product brochure.
http://www.espar.com/transfer/brochu...le_comfort.pdf

This will take you to an installation video. If you're even moderately mechanically inclined you can do this yourself.
http://www.espar.com/html/videos/Air...20(medium).wmv

This company's heaters are efficient and best of all do not expect you to be hooked up..
Notice how small they are. They also have an alternative to the Aqua Hot which is not the only game in town.

Anyway, I like the Airtronic versions simple installation.

The company has been in business for a long time. German made can't be bad and they are emissions compliant.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know why you have teeth chattering experiences.. I have only felt cold inside my rig under two conditions:
1: Before we went full time I stored it for the winter in my back yard.. Since my Ham Shack is in the motor home, not the stick house. I visited daily to get on the radio.. I only heated the "Shack" room (Smallest room in the rig) and then only when I was in it so it was COLD when I first entered.. This was to be expected.

2: On one of my trips out west I checked the forecast.. "Low tonight ninteen (positive 19) so we parked, turned on the furnace and ... Later in the night felt a bit chilly... Got up, checked the outside temp on the thermometers (Note it was still in the 60's indoors) and let's say the weatherman had missed by a few degrees.. It was not 19.. it was six.. BELOW.

Fired the engine up and added the dash heater to the rig as we headed for someplace warmer so the water system could thaw out.

Thankfully I'd thought to have a couple of containers of water INDOORS where they did not freeze.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I checked your first post with links found it interesting but I was looking for comparable prices for a 42,000 unit that I have now.
Is it purchased direct from MFG or through dealerships and are there discounting locations available.
Would take less room maybe then existing furnace from the looks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #14

A lot of the time the problem is with the thermostat. We replaced our thermostat for the Suburban heater. My complaint is the noise.

We are keeping the standard heaters on the skoolie conversion. The rear heater (which will be removed and repositioned) will be the main coach heater is 30K BTU. It will be removed from the engine coolant circuit and have an LP "water" heater plumbed in to heat the coolant. Hanging it off the belly of the bus will make it quieter and the heater itself will heat us right out of the bus. Duct work will keep holding tanks and coach warm. It's called "recycling"!